The Student Room Group

Help with choosing ARCH ANTH?!?

Hi,

I think i want to study anthropology at university.
I would be starting in september 2013

Im don't really know much about it other than it looks at human behaviour and culture (which sounds really interesting to me)

Many universities do it combined with archaeology which, again, i dont know much about

So i was wondering:

1) Do universities expect you to know about anthropology before you arrive? (how much did you know)

2) What books/websites/shows do you suggest i read/watch to find out more about the subject ?

3) Same as 1 and 2 but for archaeology

4) what universities would you suggest applying to?

5) Do you think anthropology is best on its own, or combined with archaeology ?

You will need to look into Archaeology to decide whether you're actually interested in studying that or not - I think there is an Archaeology society thread on TSR which might be useful. I know people who study it alongside Anth and they seem to enjoy it, and as you know it's a popular combination.

Bear in mind that some universities only teach social anthropology, whereas others teach a mix of biological, social, medical, evolutionary etc. For example, I study Anthropology at Durham and we get a mix of all of the different fields of Anth, which in my opinion is way better than just studying the social side! However that is down to personal interests.

If you have any specific questions about Durham or studying Anth in general, send me a message and I can try and answer them for you, based on my limited experience. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi

Thank you very much for replying

2 things:

1) was thinking about applying to Durham but also Oxford and i heard that Durham turn down students that apply to Oxford as well - is this true?

2) i like the idea of a mix of anthropological studies - where else did you apply ?

Reply 3
Original post by Antifazian
You will need to look into Archaeology to decide whether you're actually interested in studying that or not - I think there is an Archaeology society thread on TSR which might be useful. I know people who study it alongside Anth and they seem to enjoy it, and as you know it's a popular combination.

Bear in mind that some universities only teach social anthropology, whereas others teach a mix of biological, social, medical, evolutionary etc. For example, I study Anthropology at Durham and we get a mix of all of the different fields of Anth, which in my opinion is way better than just studying the social side! However that is down to personal interests.

If you have any specific questions about Durham or studying Anth in general, send me a message and I can try and answer them for you, based on my limited experience. :smile:

Hi

2 things:

1) was thinking about applying to Durham but also Oxford and i heard that Durham turn down students that apply to Oxford as well - is this true?

2) i like the idea of a mix of anthropological studies - where else did you apply ?

Thanks
Original post by bubblesOoO
Hi

2 things:

Thanks

1) That's just one of those rumours, they can't even see where else you've applied so they aren't going to know if you've applied for Oxford or not, they could only guess. Don't worry about that kind of thing, just focus on making your application as good as you can.

2) I applied to Durham twice, once for Anth and once for Arch and Anth, St.Andrews, Sussex and Edinburgh.
Reply 5
Original post by Antifazian
1) That's just one of those rumours, they can't even see where else you've applied so they aren't going to know if you've applied for Oxford or not, they could only guess. Don't worry about that kind of thing, just focus on making your application as good as you can.

2) I applied to Durham twice, once for Anth and once for Arch and Anth, St.Andrews, Sussex and Edinburgh.

Okay, thanks so much! :biggrin:
Original post by bubblesOoO
Okay, thanks so much! :biggrin:

No worries :smile: Good luck getting offers, with exams etc!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending