The Student Room Group

18 pregnant and want to go UNI!

Scroll to see replies

Get an abortion.
Reply 21
Original post by Kay26
Hello just wanted advice really...

I recently found out that i'm pregnant (baby due mid December).
I'm finishing my A-levels and i'm due to start university in sept/oct this year.
I don't want to put it off another year as i've already retaken the year at college for my AS however I also don't want to have to take time away from the baby once he/she is born.

The father is around and although I haven't told my family, I believe they will be more than supportive once the initial shock is over! what is the best thing to do?!

I'm going to be taking psychology and was also wondering how many hours/ days i would be doing?
Thank you! :smile:

Take a year off. There's almost no way you would be able to handle a newborn and be studying fulltime. Either way, one year off won't do much, as you're still young
Reply 22
Original post by ITGIRL
Yes, Love university is extremely easy and you will cope just fine. :confused: Is this what you want people to say?

Are you even in the correct mind state cause you seem like you're incapable of thinking rationally.

Of course I'm not suggesting it is not possible, of course their is a 1% chance. However if you are going to lower tier university then you might actually find more people like you....

To be honest you need to take time out and re think life....

EDIT: Why neg me? My opinion is justified would you prefer i say she should have abortion???

Your opinion is justified, sure. But holy crap, can you be any more rude about it? The OP asked for advice, not 'let's patronise me by calling me 'love' and telling me I'm not thinking correctly'. Hence the negs.

OP, personally I'd take a year out, and go to university when you feel that you're ready. The beauty of uni is that you can apply at any age, and from any walk of life. Plenty of people who go to university already have kids. Good luck, whatever you choose to do :smile:
I would advise you to either defer for a about year or get your parents/father to look after the baby then pay them back later. Also make sure you don't take other people's money through benefits trust me you will lose a whole lot of respect :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Love how people are saying "get an abortion" like it's as easy as deciding whether to get a pair of shoes or not :P.

But seriously no with a baby you shouldn't go to university , babies are much harder work than you'll think even my nephew was hard enough to look after for one hour :P! let alone 16 years.
Reply 25
Original post by Kay26

I'm finishing my A-levels and i'm due to start university in sept/oct this year.
I don't want to put it off another year as i've already retaken the year at college for my AS however I also don't want to have to take time away from the baby once he/she is born.

The father is around and although I haven't told my family, I believe they will be more than supportive once the initial shock is over! what is the best thing to do?!

I'm going to be taking psychology and was also wondering how many hours/ days i would be doing?

I know you haven't had your baby yet, but I'd advise you to have a look at this:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171503

I would also recommend you talking to your family as soon as possible in order to sort out any immediate issues that might arise.

However, if you don't change the course into part-time (assuming that your course is full-time), there might be some damage done to the relationship between you and your child. You might feel resentment towards your baby if you suddenly fail at your uni exams etc. because of late nights and lack of baby-sitting.

I'm not saying that you can't do it, but there is probably a risk that things won't work out as you planned. I hope you do well at uni if you do decide to go full speed ahead (just be sure of what you're doing).

I don't know how many hours/week you'll be doing, but I asume that there will be a number of contact hours and lots of study hours on your own. Check with the department website?

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 26
Defer for a year
[QUOTE="Vanilla*Pod;37140655"]
Original post by ITGIRL
Yes, Love university is extremely easy and you will cope just fine. :confused: Is this what you want people to say?

Are you even in the correct mind state cause you seem like you're incapable of thinking rationally.

Of course I'm not suggesting it is not possible, of course their is a 1% chance. However if you are going to lower tier university then you might actually find more people like you....

To be honest you need to take time out and re think life....[/QUOTE

How snobbish and patronising is that above post!

The girl only came on here for some advice.. no need to be so judgmental.

I'm just about to graduate from a Russel Group university and a guy in one of my classes has just had a kid.

It IS possible, you just have to consider everything and prepare yourself for some intense work.

Personally, I recommend not going- enjoy that time with your baby, they are only that young once!
But if you have family who can support you with love, child care, and finances then live your life too and go!

I bet that girl is the one that gave you negative rep lool.
I totally agree with you btw
[QUOTE="Vanilla*Pod;37140655"]
Original post by ITGIRL

To be honest you need to take time out and re think life....[/QUOTE

How snobbish and patronising is that above post!

The girl only came on here for some advice.. no need to be so judgmental.

I'm just about to graduate from a Russel Group university and a guy in one of my classes has just had a kid.

It IS possible, you just have to consider everything and prepare yourself for some intense work.

Personally, I recommend not going- enjoy that time with your baby, they are only that young once!
But if you have family who can support you with love, child care, and finances then live your life too and go!

There is a massive difference between girls and guys. Especially in terms of having kids. She will have doctors appointments a plenty, morning-sickness, it'll be harder to get around and concentrate. Once the baby is born she'll need a while for her body to recover properly. A guy doesn't have any of these problems. No offence OP, but I don't think going to uni this year is sensible. You should definitely consider postponing for a year, having a child mid-way through a course will not be easy on you.
But of course this is just my opinion, feel free to ignore me :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Vanilla*Pod

Yeah but that's a guy though. He probs just left the kid with the mum and went to uni.
could you change your application for deferred entry into the year after?
Reply 31
Original post by scorpio22

I bet that girl is the one that gave you negative rep lool.
I totally agree with you btw

I didn't neg her?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Kay26

It's probably best to postpone it for a year since you wouldn't want to stay at Uni for the late stages of your pregnancy, meaning you'd probably only be there for a few months before spending time with your newborn. My flatmate was 4 months pregnant when she came to Uni and she went into premature labour in late Feb while at Uni, meaning she delivered at the nearby hospital but lived two hours away. She's postponed her exams until June, but with a premature newborn studying isn't at the top of her list right now.

While that's an individual case surely you'd want to be at home, giving your baby the best start and spending the majority of the first year with them, they'd be nearly what? 10 months old when you start next year. Certainly don't give up on going to Uni but it might be better for you to do that, since your first year studies could be disrupted if you end up taking maturnity leave before your due date anyway.
Reply 33
Original post by Kay26

you can still start uni this year, there are some women in America who only take 2 weeks maternity leave and they survive. plus, the baby is due in december, just in time for the christmas break and you'll have support from the baby's father, and family once you tell them. My godmother did it and she survived, it's absolutely possible. the first year of uni is the best year to have a baby as it won't damage your overall degree class if you do end up falling behind a little bit. and universities have help for student parents. good luck
Sorry but the title was something I expected on a headline of the Daily Mail or a program title on MTV. :smile:
Original post by MikeySwansea
My advice is to have an abortion. You know it makes sense.

Original post by slylee
You beat me to it, yes abortion is the way to go. You can have a kid at any time of your life.

You two should've been aborted too
Original post by Kay26

Well you've come to the wrong place. Pretty much all the people who have just replied have had no experience of raising a child, let alone studying whilst raising a child.
Reply 37
Original post by Dominic101
You two should've been aborted too

Ha, why? My mom wasn't 18 and in university. If anyone should be aborted it's dicks who act self richeous.
Why are people mentioning Abortion. You cruel cruel people. :fuhrer:
Reply 39
Original post by slylee
self richeous.

:facepalm: ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending