The Student Room Group

What's good music to listen to whilst you're doing work and revising?

I've noticed that a lot of the music I listen to when I'm doing work doesn't distract me in a way that makes me sing or write down the wrong words or whatever, but instead puts me on edge and makes me feel uncomfortable and slightly uneasy. I think it's because of the tempo or the different types of music i listen to thrown in together because i usually have my ipod on shuffle.

It's not all the time this happens and I have to listen to something when doing work other wise i get distracted easily by the television or my very loud and large family who are simply doing what they usually do.

I looked at one of these forums written by someone else and a lot of people said classical music helps - but then i came across someone who said that the Harry Potter Sound track helps them. I liked the idea of soundtracks so I was wondering if there's any other soundtracks that might help in similar ways?
I listen to the Assassin's Creed Soundtracks, some might not like it but it works for me :smile:
Reply 2
I listen to Ludovico Einaudi (look it up on Youtube). Simple, relaxing music, without lyrics is good. Lyrics can be okay sometimes, but other times it can be distracting, especially when doing really difficult work, or work that requires a lot of concentration. I agree with the Harry Potter soundtrack suggestion too, can't think of any other soundtracks right at the moment though.
Reply 3
Anthony Hamilton - pass me over on repeat all day.
Reply 4
I second Ludovico Einaudi. A lot of film scores also make me more inclined to work - James Newton Howard's and Alexandre Desplat's in particular. Basically, anything with minimal to no lyrics, that's soothing without making you want to fall asleep :smile:
Anything by Norah Jones. I don't know the lyrics so I'm not tempted to sing along but her voice is so calm and soothing. :smile:
Reply 6
I completely understand what you mean!

Meridith - Soloman Kane soundtrack

Strobe - kickass

River flows in you - yiruma

Those are some good ones. Listen to them!
Reply 7
An Instrumental rock band called Explosions in the Sky. No lyrics and this is honestly one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard [video="youtube;JzIK5FaC38w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIK5FaC38w[/video]
Original post by Rabethany
I've noticed that a lot of the music I listen to when I'm doing work doesn't distract me in a way that makes me sing or write down the wrong words or whatever, but instead puts me on edge and makes me feel uncomfortable and slightly uneasy. I think it's because of the tempo or the different types of music i listen to thrown in together because i usually have my ipod on shuffle.

It's not all the time this happens and I have to listen to something when doing work other wise i get distracted easily by the television or my very loud and large family who are simply doing what they usually do.

I looked at one of these forums written by someone else and a lot of people said classical music helps - but then i came across someone who said that the Harry Potter Sound track helps them. I liked the idea of soundtracks so I was wondering if there's any other soundtracks that might help in similar ways?

People will recommend all sorts of music, and they may sound nice, but the only type of music that will help you with studying is music that you can forget you're listening to - instrumental music.

Try Ludovico Einaudi and Philip Glass's Metamorphosis. Film music is a great one too (Hans Zimmer, John Williams etc.)

Getting really stuck on revision here guys, i've been looking for help on youtube and found this video, it has a couple useful tips, does anyone know if they work?...
Also in terms of revision music, i listen to video game soundtracks, maybe i should stop since htey make me want to play games, but some of them kind of pump me up to do work, like The medal of honour frontline OST and Ocarina of time OST.
Reply 10
I heard that a song composed by Rakmaninoff (completley the wrong spelling, I'm aware), is actually meant to somehow increase the amount you can remember from what your working on? Something mystical about "unlocking parts of the brain" :wink:
God I feel sexy.
Any classical that isn't ridiculously fast and exciting. I usually go for Bach, Debussy, Mozart, etc.

There's also some music in the 'New Age' genre. Vangelis is good as well as the stuff that's usually featured on TV ads for iPods, Kindles, etc. (e.g. this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E3znZoFnN8)

Contemporary classical and movie soundtracks can be good. LotR, Star Wars, some of the Harry Potter soundtrack (i.e. not the wacky parts), again, only pieces that aren't overly rhythmic and exciting. Anything by John Williams, James Horner, or Howard Shore is generally good.

The Soundtrack for 'A Beautiful Mind' (if you haven't already you should see this movie) is great, especially for when you're doing maths:

[video="youtube;nWpwZf3jebw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWpwZf3jebw[/video]
(edited 12 years ago)
Avoid lyrics, everything else is personal taste
Reply 13
[video="youtube;1KaOrSuWZeM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM[/video]
Reply 14
but right now I have a Yiruma playlist (classical piano) on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending