The Student Room Group

Jobs where you get to travel

Hello! I was thinking of doing a job where I get to travel the world after I graduate, because I basically need to money to pay for the Masters I intend to do after. By the way I intend to do a degree in Politics and International Relations next year.

Any ideas guys?
Preferably a graduate Job, but I'm willing to accept the morbid, deathly call of retail, and the like, just to see the world...

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Also, I've considered working abroad a cruise ship, but the pay is far too low, and cabin crew is ridiculously frustrating and probably not my cup of tea.

:frown:
It's often said at certain law firms there is a good chance of travel.

From what I've heard on open days it's quite common to spend a seat on secondment abroad, and after qualification to do stints in different offices around the world.

Obviously this won't be true of all firms, though. Nor can I be absolutely sure if they were being entirely honest - though I've not much in the way of reasons to doubt them.
Reply 2
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
It's often said at certain law firms there is a good chance of travel.

From what I've heard on open days it's quite common to spend a seat on secondment abroad, and after qualification to do stints in different offices around the world.

Obviously this won't be true of all firms, though. Nor can I be absolutely sure if they were being entirely honest - though I've not much in the way of reasons to doubt them.

Awesome, thanks, but I was thinking more along the lines of travelling after Uni, as opposed to doing a placement abroad. Mainly because I don't like facing the cost, and it may make my life significantly more difficult if I have to settle in to a brand new way of working whilst focusing on Exams.
Reply 3
There are not too many graduate level jobs where you will be able to travel so much. You may need to think a little longer term. I worked in a global marketing role a couple of years after graduating. It was a multinational company with its European headquarters based in Berkshire. I was not travelling all the time, but was working in marketing for the whole European region and therefore also got to travel a lot as well.
If you do a degree in geology, or similar you could get a job as an exploration geologist, looking for oil etc.. You would also be able to travel to places most people can't, like remote areas in Siberia. This is my plan for when I graduate. Can't wait!
Reply 5
Original post by paulbridger
If you do a degree in geology, or similar you could get a job as an exploration geologist, looking for oil etc.. You would also be able to travel to places most people can't, like remote areas in Siberia. This is my plan for when I graduate. Can't wait!

How useful, if only I was doing a degree in Geology, not POLITICS.... :lolwut:
Reply 6
There aren't really many jobs which will give you the same kind of travelling as you could do if you just spent 6 months backpacking. You won't get to pick where you go, how long you're there or what you do while you're there.
And even if there was, chances are the bland type of international company that would give a travelling job like that to a newly graduated, unexperienced person would send you to the multinational equivalents of Slough.
Plenty of jobs involve international travel, but as has been previously stated it's not usually particularly glamorous as you won't have any choice in where you go, what you do or how long you stay there, and you will be staying in bland business hotels and spending your days in bland offices, rarely having much time to see any sights.

I was once offered a job which would have involved regular travel to Greenland as well as Canada, Texas and all of Europe, which would have involved travelling 3 days in every week. Most jobs will involve just one or two trips a year, but it does vary. Jobs I've known of where friends and acquaintances have travelled include Sales, Merchandising, IT Project Management, Marketing and Call centre management. The latter is pretty much guaranteed to involve travel at some point to various industrial estates in the Netherlands, Philippines, Costa Rica and/or India.
Reply 8
I believe i can give you some advice because it's something I'm interested too..About postgraduate courses, you may choose:
1 - International relations, human rights, cooperation and international development or any subject connected with this field. Prospectives: Most of these jobs connected with these courses will give you the chance to travel a lot with some big NGO. But in order to work for an important international NGO you need to know that they will look always for experienced people, this means get ready to travel abroad as volunteer and learn new languages..i'm not talking about travelling in Europe but in other countries out of EU where these ONG operate (Africa, Asia etc) Only after you've gained some experience (2 - 3 years) you'll be able to find a good position with some NGO. It's a kind of job that makes hard to you the possibility to have a family..remember it
2 - International business, International management: I'm pretty sure every company needs someone for exterior relations or someone to send in some remote place of the globe to take care of their business xD
A job dealing with international clients? I just found out I may have to go to Africa at some point in my new job, and that certainly wasn't made obvious from the job title or interview!
Reply 10
Go in the military

Ah the idealistic geology idea... the reality is not being able to get to your place of work because there are people shooting at you or an animal trying to eat you or being so far away from anywhere that one accident means you're dead... there's a reason why field geology pays so well at entry level! It's danger money.
Reply 12
Original post by M4LLY
Go in the military

Already covered in the Armed Forces forum. Not an option.
Reply 13
Original post by hothedgehog
Ah the idealistic geology idea... the reality is not being able to get to your place of work because there are people shooting at you or an animal trying to eat you or being so far away from anywhere that one accident means you're dead... there's a reason why field geology pays so well at entry level! It's danger money.

I actually quite like the sound of that...:erm:
Reply 14
my college teacher was telling me about some jobs tescoes got going at the moment for merchandise sourcing where youre job is to simply travel and find stuff to buy ... couldnt think of a better job if i tryed :P
Original post by Drewski

I have geology friends who do that, I have geology friends who sit in front of a petrel screen doing oil stuff and I have geology consultancy friends who work on a really large range of things... the consultancy is a nice mixture of not death vs. enjoyment! My field friends say it's really quite lonely working in such remote places for such long periods. They live to come back to the UK for their off time.

Or maybe I am just fed up of getting a scar from every field trip I go on! :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hothedgehog

Original post by Drewski

I agree. I'd love to live dangerously. Beats an office job for sure!
I agree. I'd love to live dangerously. Beats an office job for sure!

There's a difference between a practical job and one which is dangerous though!

Quick Reply

Latest