The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Organ
Yes it's good.

The English one is good as well, I have no idea why they keep playing that awful GSTQ

Sorry, but I really can't imagine the footballers singing this!

GSTQ does suck though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by Spaz Man
As a Liverpool fan I completely agree. Forget it being disrespectful, it was bizarrely stupid...

More so just because I know Liverpool fans kicked up a bit of a fuss over the Chelsea fans that weren't silent during the minutes silence for Hillsborough. I know this isn't really comparable to that, or as wrong as that, but I think it's just stupid to draw attention like that so soon after speaking out against something fairly similar.
Not so much disrespectful, just kind of stupid, as you said.
Reply 102
Original post by kopite493
its not disrespectful where not english where scouse

Get a grip man.
Reply 103
Original post by Faustu
Personally I sang over it and to be honest it was the only part of the day I enjoyed. Let's be honest the media would have had a go at us over something else like not joining in with waving the plastic flags the FA generously donated.

This is hilarious. Always the victim.
Original post by Organ
Haha I don't. I was referring to the royal family fanbois :wink:

Hmm, I wonder what pains Welsh republicans more? Having to sing GSTQ or having to sing a song about England's green and pleasant land :wink: I vow to thee my country is a great idea and it could be a personal thing as well - it doesn't big up an individual like the Queen, and it doesn't big up one single nation in the union. Plus it sounds x9999 better than that awful droning GSTQ.

I'd prefer "I Vow To Thee My Country" for the UK and I think most of England would probably prefer "Jerusalem" as theirs.
If you don't agree with the National Anthem, don't sing it.

No need to boo it for ****s sakes.
I don't agree with Liverpool fans very often but I do here because we at United are also strongly anti the English national team.

There was no fuss or controversy like this when we chanted "Argentina, Argentina!" to Carlos Tevez during the national anthem at the 2009 Football League Cup Final because it wasn't noticeably picked up on television. The Spurs fans heard it and started foaming at the mouth with rage so to that extent it worked perfectly.
Reply 107
The hypocrisy is hilarious. No doubt those Scousers booing the National Anthem as Liverpool fans will sing it as England fans.

And if not, then why not? Because Liverpool fans are always the victims?

Sod that. People forget Heysel far too easily.
Reply 108
Original post by IanDangerously
I don't agree with Liverpool fans very often but I do here because we at United are also strongly anti the English national team.

Why are you strongly anti the English national team?
Why on earth should anyone get so upset over seeing the booing of a dirge of a national anthem that frankly deserves such treatment more than anyone else? Especially when all the twatfaced braindead En-ger-lund supporters go about booing other nations far more tuneful anthems.
Original post by arebours

More to do with their fanbase I think...
Reply 111
Original post by IanDangerously

Traitors.
Reply 112
The hypocrisy is hilarious. No doubt those Scousers booing the National Anthem as Liverpool fans will sing it as England fans.

You're an idiot. The LFC fans who boo the national anthem, do not support the English team.

Spoiler

Original post by Mess.
Basically what this person said. I would have preffered it had they just sang YNWA through it as opposed to booing but the sentiment is pretty much the same.

Why should I sing about a God I don't believe in trying to save a Queen I don't care about from a gang of Scots who aren't threatening her :dontknow:

I don't think it matters that the Scots are not threatening Her Majesty. We should oppress them anyway.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the Queen.

:sexface:
Reply 114

haw haw haw
I always boo GSTQ, even if I am in my room alone wathcing England play etc, booooooooooooo

The main reason is that it's impossible to support any top tier team and that country's national team without being a hypocrite. Club rivalry pretty much ensures that, and you have to stay loyal to your club. For instance, I could never even begin to imagine as a United fan cheering on a team with the likes of Gerrard or Lampard or Terry in it because I just don't like them. It's the same for other fans who boo Rooney and then cheer him when he wears an England shirt, they're massive hypocrites. Same if Real Madrid fans cheer for Barcelona players when they play for Spain, if Milan fans cheer Inter players for Italy etc etc. If you can wish rival players success you're not 100% committed to your club.

Plus in United's case things like England supporters singing about hating "Man U" at England games and booing a minutes silence for the Munich air disaster created animosity. Then there's the way our players get scapegoated by the press when the national team fails (Beckham in 98 and 04, Rooney and Ronaldo in 06). Following England is more for fans of smaller clubs who don't get to travel abroad with their club side, and southerners who can get to Wembley without too much effort.
Lot's of those scouse not English plastic scousers arent even from the city must like most of Liverpool's support. Lot's of lads from Liverpool have died serving their country and this anthem reprents the country anyone who booed isnt a true scouser.

Typical of Liverpool fans though always demanding respect never giving any in return.
I used to resented the monarchy.

Now I have seen politicians for what they are im all in favor of keeping the monarchy.

They seem to more or less pay their way and the role of the modern head of state is not one I would like. You dont even get a choice.

The same people banging on about things the Empire did hundreds of years ago probably voted in Labour to slaughter thousands of Iraqi's for oil. Same old same old.

There are thousands of reasons to be proud to be English. Dont let the peoples of insignificant countries tell you otherwise.

The idea of a president being head of state makes me want to puke. The idea that our head of state is out of politics is a good thing.

A big part of Liverpool FC's problem is one their setup like a cult where the club is perfect and can do no wrong this applies to the fans too they see themselves as untouchable and always innocent, the trouble and violence that follows them around is evidence of this. Also the majority of their support is Irish/Norwegian or asian all of whom have very little connection to this country, with very few native fans.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by Twixwrapper
I used to resented the monarchy.

Now I have seen politicians for what they are im all in favor of keeping the monarchy.

They seem to more or less pay their way and the role of the modern head of state is not one I would like. You dont even get a choice.

The same people banging on about things the Empire did hundreds of years ago probably voted in Labour to slaughter thousands of Iraqi's for oil. Same old same old.

There are thousands of reasons to be proud to be English. Dont let the peoples of insignificant countries tell you otherwise.

The idea of a president being head of state makes me want to puke. The idea that our head of state is out of politics is a good thing.

A big part of Liverpool FC's problem is one their setup like a cult where the club is perfect and can do no wrong this applies to the fans too they see themselves as untouchable and always innocent, the trouble and violence that follows them around is evidence of this. Also the majority of their support is Irish/Norwegian or asian all of whom have very little connection to this country, with very few native fans.

Every big club on the planet has more foreign fans than native fans, a lot more. Liverpool is a pretty small city with two Premier League clubs, without the foreign supporters no big club would be able to survive or attempt to compete at the upper levels.

Latest