The Student Room Group

Good Final A Level choices?

Okay, I realise how common this thread is on TSR, but I would like a second opinion on this, next year I'm starting sixth form doing 4 A Levels my final choices are:

English Literature - Because I enjoy it, and am pretty good at it.

History - Haven't done it for GCSE, but I thought it'd be interesting, I have the essay skills and I also know it's useful.

Maths - Got a high B at GCSE, bit nervous about starting it for A Level but realise how useful it is.

ICT - I am passionate about this, am pretty good at it

So yeah, I was just wondering if this is a good selection which leaves doors open for further education options.

* In our school it seems standard that you drop one of your AS subjects after a year, so bare that in mind*
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Drop ICT after year 12 if you want wide open doors I guess, but otherwise good. Be careful with maths though; my friends that got As have been getting Us, Es and Ds. :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah, I saw it was on the 'blacklist' it's a shame ICT's just a continuation of GCSE. I think I may have to get a Maths tutor to make sure I don't fall behind!
Reply 3
I would say these are good choices overall. I, too, would drop the ICT at A2 as I believe universities prefer the core subjects more. Just to say, the difference between GCSE Maths and A-Level Maths is a lot and there is a steep learning curve. And History is quite difficult but universities like it due to its essay-base nature. Personally, I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Literature. Hope that helped...
Reply 4
Yeah, I've heard mixed views on A Level Maths, but I'm just expecting the worst, hopefully it won't be as bad as I imagine!
repling to follow btw how do you start a forum?
Reply 6
You go to the appropriate area, e.g. Study help/Leisure, then 'Start New Thread'
Reply 7
They're all good choices except for ICT, though it's fine as an AS subject.

Now contrary to the previous posters, I thought Maths AS was the most manageable out of the rest of my subjects (sciences). To me C1 seemed to be easier than GCSE (though that could be because I never worked hard at school), with C2 slightly harder than GCSE. I think it's only the applied modules you have to look out for.
Reply 8
Original post by xelentoliver
Yeah, I've heard mixed views on A Level Maths, but I'm just expecting the worst, hopefully it won't be as bad as I imagine!

I did a Additional/Further Maths GCSE which is a bridge between A-Level and GCSE so that helped me...

Original post by Vian
They're all good choices except for ICT, though it's fine as an AS subject.

Now contrary to the previous posters, I thought Maths AS was the most manageable out of the rest of my subjects (sciences). To me C1 seemed to be easier than GCSE (though that could be because I never worked hard at school), with C2 slightly harder than GCSE. I think it's only the applied modules you have to look out for.

Personally, I think English Literature and Physics are harder than the Maths A-Level. But, seeing as the OP got a B at GCSE I thought it would be harder for him...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Maths is a lot of work, but I enjoy it. I've heard some pretty bad words about English, most people who are continuing it are only doing so because they hated another subject more. That being said my school is not paticularly strong in English and most people do Lang/Lit due to the lack of interest in Lit.
History essay writing may be difficult? Learn about structure and do background reading. My friend who does ICT LOVES it. He's even got a £300 job deal out of it when he and a classmate had to make a presentation, and someone who watched them deliver the presentation liked it so much he offered them money to make one for him! He spends a lot of time on it though, so be careful with it.

Put your mind to your A-levels, but do balance your time too, and I'm sure you'll love it all :smile:
Yes beware of maths! I got a high A at GCSE but I struggled at AS, ending up with a middle B having put in a LOT of work. Likewise people who have got A*s at GCSE maths have ended up with Es and Us. You need to really have a flair for the subject and enjoy it! :smile:

I also know a lot of people who have had to get private tutors in order to get the grades so that's something else to consider. (this of course depends on the teaching quality of your school and especially class sizes)

Other than that, it's a great subject to have on your CV and very well respected (because it is hard!) :biggrin:
Reply 11
Drop IT at the end of AS. Go on with the 3 and if you want, you seem good to do Law - especially considering Maths (cuz of the analytical side - which Law requires), History (good subject for law) and English Lit. (Good subject for law).
Reply 12
There are people in my Maths class that got A*s at GCSE and then Ds for C1 in January. However there are a few cases where it goes the other way, my friend got a B at GCSE and worked her butt off this year and got an A.

If you've had to work really hard for the B at GCSE then you should have another think about taking it at AS-level and if you'll cope with the step up.
Reply 13
Original post by xelentoliver
Okay, I realise how common this thread is on TSR, but I would like a second opinion on this, next year I'm starting sixth form doing 4 A Levels my final choices are:

[*]English Literature - Because I enjoy it, and am pretty good at it.
[*]History - Haven't done it for GCSE, but I thought it'd be interesting
[*]Maths - Got a high B at GCSE, bit nervous about starting it for A Level but realise how useful it is.

I did these three, along with French and Critical Thinking (what a joke). I would highly recommend those options, I personally really enjoy them and feel they complement one another very well- history and english is also great for essay writing skills, and as for maths, I found that it was actually a nice break away from all the essays- I welcomed having only one right answer, as opposed to multiple 'interpretations'.

I don't know about ICT, because I don't do it, but I can happily say that those choices are good ones. History is very interesting, and English is -though a lot of reading- quite rewarding too. Hope this helps!
Reply 14
English Literature is a great subject to have and leaves practically all English degrees open to you! History is also a great option, and if you have the choice, and if you want to, it may be better to go for Ancient history rather than modern, as it is looked upon better. Maths is definitely useful and is necessary for many degrees as well as being looked upon highly, just make sure you work hard to get a good grade :smile:
ICT is often on the blacklist so do you enjoy any other sciences though, as choosing one of these instead of ICT would leave even more doors open to you. Though, the most important thing is that you enjoy your subjects, else you won't want to study for them, and an A in ICT, is more useful than and C in a hard science :smile:
Good luck doing History A-Level without doing it for GCSE... will your school even allow you to?
As others have put, IT is generally seen as the least useful - so would be the most sensible to drop at AS. Many humanities degrees in different areas are opened up by the other 3 choices. History has a reputation as one of or the most demanding essay subject while Lit is also respected and traditional. With Maths, practice is thought to be essential but once you know the steps it is relatively easy to apply them. Maths is good for independent study so just make sure you don't fall behind!
Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by EsmeA
I did these three, along with French and Critical Thinking (what a joke). I would highly recommend those options, I personally really enjoy them and feel they complement one another very well- history and english is also great for essay writing skills, and as for maths, I found that it was actually a nice break away from all the essays- I welcomed having only one right answer, as opposed to multiple 'interpretations'.

I don't know about ICT, because I don't do it, but I can happily say that those choices are good ones. History is very interesting, and English is -though a lot of reading- quite rewarding too. Hope this helps!

What did you get for Critical Thinking?
hey guys i just finished my as year
im aking english lit business studies history and geography
is that good enough for a law degree?
Reply 19
Original post by bradfriedal24
hey guys i just finished my as year
im aking english lit business studies history and geography
is that good enough for a law degree?

It depends what university you want to go to. Some are under-subscribed and will take anyone with decent grades. However, I would assume that Business Studies and Geography would not be that preferable for a law degree- they are not that relevant. But, as I said, it depends on your grades, university choice and several other factors.

Quick Reply

Latest