The Student Room Group

Can I get a student loan if i'm blacklisted?

..so I got myself into a bit of trouble and i'm not sure if i'll be able to pay back the money I owe, so does this mean i will get blacklisted and I won't be able to have a bank account so I won't be able to get a student loan?
People don't get blacklisted. Neither do addresses. This ended a long time ago.

Who do you owe the money too? If it's a bank/credit card etc, they will mark down your inability to pay on your credit rating. This will make getting any other credit difficult - things like overdrafts, credit cards, loans, rental agreements, phone contracts etc.

Your student loan is not credit-checked, so you will still get it. Your bank account should be fine too, unless you have a loan/credit card with the same bank, in which case you should move accounts. You'll be able to get a basic account, with no credit card or overdraft, even if you have bad credit.

It's worth noting that you are unlikely to get a student overdraft if you have bad credit, and if you already have one, they could remove it. It might be worth asking your parents or friends for help paying it off rather than trying to manage without the overdraft.
Reply 2
Original post by WordsAndPictures
People don't get blacklisted. Neither do addresses. This ended a long time ago.

Who do you owe the money too? If it's a bank/credit card etc, they will mark down your inability to pay on your credit rating. This will make getting any other credit difficult - things like overdrafts, credit cards, loans, rental agreements, phone contracts etc.

Your student loan is not credit-checked, so you will still get it. Your bank account should be fine too, unless you have a loan/credit card with the same bank, in which case you should move accounts. You'll be able to get a basic account, with no credit card or overdraft, even if you have bad credit.

It's worth noting that you are unlikely to get a student overdraft if you have bad credit, and if you already have one, they could remove it. It might be worth asking your parents or friends for help paying it off rather than trying to manage without the overdraft.

Well basically this guy said I could make money by buying muliple phone contracts, from different phone companies but he said he knew someone who can cancel the contracts without me having to pay anything and some how he gains something from this like credit rating and now I can't contact him, I want to pay off the contracts so nothing bad happens to my bank and my familys banks. I got told by someone that they're black listed and can't have a bank account for 6 years, so he can't take get a mortgage of anything.

I have a current account with no overdraft but I'm trying to pay off the contracts but if can't pay off the contracts, what will happen?

I know what I did was really stupid and I just need to deal with it.
Reply 3
Original post by dippers
Well basically this guy said I could make money by buying muliple phone contracts, from different phone companies but he said he knew someone who can cancel the contracts without me having to pay anything and some how he gains something from this like credit rating and now I can't contact him, I want to pay off the contracts so nothing bad happens to my bank and my familys banks. I got told by someone that they're black listed and can't have a bank account for 6 years, so he can't take get a mortgage of anything.

I have a current account with no overdraft but I'm trying to pay off the contracts but if can't pay off the contracts, what will happen?

Don't take on more debt; someone who does something that daft cannot be trusted with money.
Reply 4
How long ago did you take the phone contracts? You may still be in the cooling off period meaning you can give the phones back and cancel.
Original post by dippers

:lolwut: How did you EVER think that would be a good idea? It's like the student in Oxford who recently got robbed by a guy pretending to be a police officer...

Anyway, just keep paying off the debt- not a lot you can do about it. You won't get "black-listed" but if you don't pay up your credit rating will go down. Maybe see if it's cheaper to keep paying to the end of the contracts or to pay the cancellation fees? The student loan doesn't require a credit check, so you're fine there whatever happens. Also why would something happen to your family's bank accounts? It IS just your debt, right?
There's no such thing as a black list. You may have a poor credit rating and may find it difficult to get commercial credit - i.e. credit cards, bank loans, car finance, and even phone contracts, etc.

However, student loans are not credit checked. With student loans, your future employer pays your loan back by taking the appropriate amount of your income off of your wage packet BEFORE it gets to you - so there's no risk that you will fail to pay it back, because it's out of your hands entirely.

Unless you're self-employed, of course.
Reply 7
Original post by hvh
How long ago did you take the phone contracts? You may still be in the cooling off period meaning you can give the phones back and cancel.

It's been like 2 weeks but the guys has the phones :/
Reply 8
I guess you didn't take out insurance?

First thing to do - call the phone companys and get the phone blocked, report them stolen. You do not want to pay for calls they're making ontop of the phone contracts.

Second - how many contracts have you taken out and at what cost per month and with what providers?
Reply 9
Original post by hvh
I guess you didn't take out insurance?

First thing to do - call the phone companys and get the phone blocked, report them stolen. You do not want to pay for calls they're making ontop of the phone contracts.

Second - how many contracts have you taken out and at what cost per month and with what providers?

Well, I took 5 out with vodaphone, O2, orange and Three. The prices range to about £30-£45. I think everything is ok now I know someone who knows a managers at phones4u who can sort it out if I pay a bit of money, so thanks everyone.
Reply 10
Original post by tufc
Don't take on more debt; someone who does something that daft cannot be trusted with money.

This was a way of making money but I was scammed, though I know I should of never done something so risky.
Original post by dippers
Well, I took 5 out with vodaphone, O2, orange and Three. The prices range to about £30-£45. I think everything is ok now I know someone who knows a managers at phones4u who can sort it out if I pay a bit of money, so thanks everyone.

:facepalm: Well hopefully you've learnt not to believe stupid scams that seem to good to be true
Reply 12
Original post by dippers
This was a way of making money but I was scammed, though I know I should of never done something so risky.

It's not just risky, it's completely absurd.
Reply 13
Original post by Bobo1234
:lolwut: How did you EVER think that would be a good idea? It's like the student in Oxford who recently got robbed by a guy pretending to be a police officer...

Anyway, just keep paying off the debt- not a lot you can do about it. You won't get "black-listed" but if you don't pay up your credit rating will go down. Maybe see if it's cheaper to keep paying to the end of the contracts or to pay the cancellation fees? The student loan doesn't require a credit check, so you're fine there whatever happens. Also why would something happen to your family's bank accounts? It IS just your debt, right?

i have also done the same as this person and took out 5 contracts i managed to return one phone and i have 2 phones left ( the other guy took the other 2 phones) and i cannot return these 2 phones i cannot repay all of this do you guys reckon i should take all the money i have in the bank (like £200) and open a new bank and put all the money in their? i don't mind getting blacklisted or having bad credit score i can rebuild it as the years go by and i do not need a loan. i also don't want to inform my parents because they will hate me and will cause alot of problems even though they will pay for it, but this will change my life and affect it really badly and this is why i dont want to do that. also when i get blacklisted/ bad score will they send letters to my house? as i dont want my parents to find out about this. and im planning to get save some money by working and if i ever have to pay it back (I owe £4,000) i will as i will be able to get the money later as im still young. also will they come after me? like take anything i own ( i do not own anything valuable) thanks guys need you help i dont no what to do with my life im soo scared/depressed/stressed.
Original post by dippers

You can never really sort it out, theres a paper trail and once Fraud Risk Security (FRS) see it they will report it to the police,lol......that is while they have independent audits etc..... its so funny reading these things.... I use to get paid, going through trail and then filing reports. The companies do pursue criminal action, thats why they have a legal team.....
Reply 15
Original post by LoganYR
i have also done the same as this person and took out 5 contracts i managed to return one phone and i have 2 phones left ( the other guy took the other 2 phones) and i cannot return these 2 phones i cannot repay all of this do you guys reckon i should take all the money i have in the bank (like £200) and open a new bank and put all the money in their? i don't mind getting blacklisted or having bad credit score i can rebuild it as the years go by and i do not need a loan. i also don't want to inform my parents because they will hate me and will cause alot of problems even though they will pay for it, but this will change my life and affect it really badly and this is why i dont want to do that. also when i get blacklisted/ bad score will they send letters to my house? as i dont want my parents to find out about this. and im planning to get save some money by working and if i ever have to pay it back (I owe £4,000) i will as i will be able to get the money later as im still young. also will they come after me? like take anything i own ( i do not own anything valuable) thanks guys need you help i dont no what to do with my life im soo scared/depressed/stressed.

I got mine sorted, just ring up the phone companies saying you keep getting letters off them but you never took out any contracts. They put it down as fruad and they probably wont make you pay much.
Reply 16
Original post by dippers
I got mine sorted, just ring up the phone companies saying you keep getting letters off them but you never took out any contracts. They put it down as fruad and they probably wont make you pay much.

O really thats abit risky lol i sorted my one aswell i had to pay the phone companies back £800 each and i gave one to my brother n managed to return one now i just have one at home i dont even no what to do it with it i might keep it or give the contract to someone else. Thanks tho
Reply 17
Original post by dippers

Just to warn you I work for one of the phone companies mentioned above and we get a lot of people claiming fraud to make money off of contracts. If you took it out in store CCTV will be checked as well as what ID was used to purchase etc. so be careful because claiming fraud is really risky when it's not true!!

Quick Reply

Latest