The Student Room Group

Out of date sausages

I've just eaten some pork sausages without realising they were a week past their use by date. :frown:

Is this likely to give me food poisoning or something?

Scroll to see replies

Oops.. could well do, guess you'll find out in the next day or two!
Reply 2
Probably not. Most use by dates are a bit short anyway! You will probably be fine.
Hmm, but dates are there for a reason after all!
Having a thread title to do with 'sausages' in H&R is very bad if you have much of an imagination.

OP, I hope you're ok. Use-by-dates are generally pretty flexible, and if the sausages were well cooked, that's a good start.

[Edit: by 'flexible', I mean that they err on the side of caution]
Reply 5
You'll be fine, as long as they're not pork sausages. Poorly stored (or out of date) pork can contain hyrdo-oxates, which are basically particles found in some meats that find their way into your blood stream and thin your blood. Depending on the amount of hyrdo-oxates ingested, you can suffer anything from a light headed feeling (kind of lightly drunk), to the loss of use of the extremities of your body (eg, fingers, hands, toes and feet) due to a break down in cirulation.

Good luck :smile:

If you get any real sideaffects, then I'm really sorry. Theres surely nothing wrong with out of date stuff? Worst case scenario, couple of days sick and watching Jeremy Kyle all day?
My mum says that back in the day there were no "sell by dates" and everyone still lived happily.
Reply 7
mattye
You'll be fine, as long as they're not pork sausages. Poorly stored (or out of date) pork can contain hyrdo-oxates, which are basically particles found in some meats that find their way into your blood stream and thin your blood. Depending on the amount of hyrdo-oxates ingested, you can suffer anything from a light headed feeling (kind of lightly drunk), to the loss of use of the extremities of your body (eg, fingers, hands, toes and feet) due to a break down in cirulation.

Good luck :smile:

If you get any real sideaffects, then I'm really sorry. Theres surely nothing wrong with out of date stuff? Worst case scenario, couple of days sick and watching Jeremy Kyle all day?

They are pork I said so in my original post :frown:
If you're not ill within 5 - 7 hours you should be alright :smile:
Reply 9
Were they frozen before you cooked them? because it's normally alright then. Like cutandpasteandtwisty said, give it a few hours.

My friend and I made a cocktail with Baileys, which sell by date was in Jan 2001...and we still had some :redface:
You know, if you couldn't tell they were out of date then you'll be fine. I am assuming you looked at them and tasted them whilst eating?
Reply 11
emdo
Were they frozen before you cooked them? because it's normally alright then. Like cutandpasteandtwisty said, give it a few hours.

My friend and I made a cocktail with Baileys, which sell by date was in Jan 2001...and we still had some :redface:

Nope, refridgerated. Just bought them from my local cornershop (which is why I didn't check the date beforehand). Lesson to be learnt eh.
Your cornershop sold you them when they were out of date??

Is anyone else thinking compensation here? :p:
:eek: Tell your corner shop they're selling out-of-date food! At the very least, you should get a refund.
Reply 14
Vacuum-packed sausages have fairly long "best before" dates. It's not like after 6 months, all of a sudden, when a certain date is reached, they become poisonous and make your limbs fall off, hair turn green and the left side of your brain rot away.
I just remembered that a while back, my boss bought a pack of 2 carrot cake slices and left one of them on top of the diary (!) for me to have, so I ate it and left a note by the grease mark on the diary saying 'mmm, cake :smile:'. Apparently my boss looked at the use-by date on the box when she got home, and they were 5 days past their date [or something like that], and she felt awful when she saw my comment the next day... but I was totally fine. Thankfully.
So, the point is, you have hope.
Reply 16
i think that some big supermarkets put short use by dates so the customer will buy more, more often!
Take a mud bath.

Might not help you, but it'll get you used to being buried.
Reply 18
Firstly, get a refund if they were out of date when purchased. And secondly, no it is highly unlikely they will make you ill if they were only a week out of date, were kept refrigerated, and were cooked properly. If it makes you feel better, I consumed a 4 year out of date packet of choc chip cookies, They looked and tasted exactly the same as brand new ones, and didn't make me ill. Most use by dates are about covering the manufacturer's arse.
nanananabatman
My mum says that back in the day there were no "sell by dates" and everyone still lived happily.

Hahah my mum says the same thing!

I think they're right!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending