The Student Room Group

BBC Work Experience?

Hi all,

I've recently applied to the BBC for work experience via their page (bbc.co.uk/workexperience)...the placement(s) are in Jan, Feb & March....

Just wondering if anyone else has previously applied and if so, when did you hear back from them?!

Scroll to see replies

Not one person? :confused:
Reply 2
no i havent. but i advise ou to keep nagging and calling if they dont give you a proper date or make it official as in health and safety agreement, etc. and also ring them closer to the date to make sure they are expecting you.

last half term, i went all the way from Newport to Abergavenny (around 30 miles) for work experience in the hospital and then was told by doctors that "we cant let you in, we dont know who you are, we are not expecting you" so you dont want that happening.

hope that helps!

Malaz :smile:
I'm applying for something at the BBC at Easter, just for the heck of it :wink: (though, I mean, it is an area I'm interested in). Not holding up any hopes whatsoever on that one.
They have moved the closing date on the one I've applied for to January 19th, so I'll expect to hear something after that. If I don't, I'll ask ring 'em and if it turns out I'm unsuccessful, I'll ask for feedback..!
Reply 5
I applied for BBC Work Experience last summer and only heard that I hadn't got it about 2 or 3 weeks before the placement was due to start. Not ideal...

Good luck and I hope you hear soon :smile:
Reply 6
I've applied quite a few times, and not heard back at all.

It'll depend on the department etc. as well.
You might like to take a look here - http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59 regarding work/work experience placements at the BBC

Good luck!
Oh, wow, just read that wiki thread and I feel deflated now lol!

I've gone for a press & pr placement, I did a great application though so fingers and toes crossed, though I'm now a bit more aware of the odds...!
Reply 9
There's a worthy addition to this thread here:

http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forum/media/bbc-work-experience-how-to-get-in

It's not all doom and gloom but it's not easy either. That thread is a little more positive and more useful.
Reply 10
work experience at the bbc would be either getting coffee's or mail boy!!
..that's not really true at all
Teddy1692
work experience at the bbc would be either getting coffee's or mail boy!!

LMAO some of the biggest **** I've heard on this forum to date.

I for one can say you will only do that if you let staff treat you like an office monkey. I've had an excellent experience albeit a short one during my time here. Current duties have involved: script writing, radio work, production, broadcast journalism, news round up and analysis, guest invites, making phone calls to invite guests on air etc.

Let me put this silly rumour to myth, you only get coffee for yourself, if your doing it for other people then that problem lies squarely with you. Pro-activity in the workplace is expected at any level to become successful.

To all those who want work experience with the BBC, it comes down to persistence, matching your interests with the department you apply to, a bit of luck, having some contacts and have exceptional writing/communication skills will help you ten fold. But it is still no guarantee of a placement.

I will say though, if you do get into this place you will have a good time.
I got work experience at the BBC last year. It was great. I heard about it a few weeks prior to the placement starting.
I applied about a month ago. Had no idea there was that much competition. But I spent a lot of time on the application, so I suppose there is still a chance.
Just looking through the article about how to get BBC Work Experience. Whilst overall it was very helpful, this sentence appeared rather strange to me: "One key disadvantage of all BBC work experience placements is that they do not pay you, nor will they cover your expenses." Since when did anyone get paid for work experience or have extra costs paid for? No-one I know of [out of over 270 people doing work experience] has got paid. And funding your own travel is part of it, just like if it were a normal job. The rest of the article implied that they meant costs such as travel & accomodation if neccessary.
Reply 16
jelly1000
Whilst overall it was very helpful, this sentence appeared rather strange to me: "One key disadvantage of all BBC work experience placements is that they do not pay you, nor will they cover your expenses."

Depends on where you are in your school career and why you're doing work experience. In year 10, like the other 180 people in my year, I did a week and didn't get paid, but they did pay for my canteen lunch. A week isn't long enough to do anything substantial and depending upon where you go, a year 10 student probably isn't best equipped to be immensely helpful.

Between years 12 and 13 I did 4 weeks of semi-useful (for them, very useful for me) work experience vaguely related to my A Levels. For that, I got a bursary which was to cover travel and canteen expenses, but I brought my own sandwiches and walked :p:

Right now I'm doing an "Arbeitspraktikum" (Literally: Work Experience, more like an Internship) in Germany which pays comparatively less (though more in total) over the course of 3 months. Again, the work is fairly relevant to my studies and I'm here for long enough to actually make myself useful.

In short: It depends on how long you're there and whether they think that they can get any skilled work out of you.
A year 10 is going to add ZERO value to the BBC especially in one week.

I did mine at the BBC and was completely involved, writing scripts, interviews, booking guests in (famous ones) stuff that broadcast journalists do day in day out. I'm at university btw. If you do get BBC Work Experience, be pro active, they will not tell you or spoon feeed you like secondary school what to do.

With regards to food and travel, I hardly think a £20-30 travelcard and about the same maybe less for lunch is really going to break the bank. Some of you expect way to much, especially since it is them doing you the favour, not the other way around.
Reply 18
unknown demon
A year 10 is going to add ZERO value to the BBC especially in one week.

I did mine at the BBC and was completely involved, writing scripts, interviews, booking guests in (famous ones) stuff that broadcast journalists do day in day out. I'm at university btw. If you do get BBC Work Experience, be pro active, they will not tell you or spoon feeed you like secondary school what to do.

With regards to food and travel, I hardly think a £20-30 travelcard and about the same maybe less for lunch is really going to break the bank. Some of you expect way to much, especially since it is them doing you the favour, not the other way around.

I am an intern at BBC.com, what do you think they espicially look for as an intern? I think I am not contributing enough or 'being pro active' similar to as you said I am not being told what to do, which is similar to not being spoon fed.

Unfortunate....
Get to grips with EPNS, no doubt you will be using that, talk to people about your ideas, ask what they think, do not fear rejection, to many people from interns to new grads have some sort of fear about approaching veterans whatever area they go into. Ask for help, ask questions well not badly/stupidly, do not ask the obvious since the BBC is really about being on the ball all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest