The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Cosmetic surgery on the NHS - should it be allowed?

Scroll to see replies

And he gets no choice as you never let him go anywhere without you. How insecure can you be!

Anything else would have to be an improvement. He's just biding his time then one day he will be gone. Just wait & see.

Oh, I see the score is 2-2 now btw.
Original post by BarryAskwith
And he gets no choice as you never let him go anywhere without you. How insecure can you be!

Anything else would have to be an improvement. He's just biding his time then one day he will be gone. Just wait & see.

Oh, I see the score is 2-2 now btw.

not insecure at all and he can go anywhere he wants if he chooses to

sorry to say (well im not) but you're wrong :biggrin:
Original post by bouillabaisse
I'm highly aware what private treatment costs including the 'overall package' price breakdown etc etc. It costs a lot. It's likely that if something has affected someones quality of life substantially, they are unlikely to be able to work hard enough to have the money to get it fixed.

On a broader scale I would argue that there is no reason other than government incompetence and poor prioritization that taxpayers money 'cannot fund' a fully functioning mental and physical state healthcare system.

Let us not turn this into a political debate.

If someone has a defect that SUBSTANTIALLY effects their quality of life, then I agree, the service should be provided by the NHS.

But I think some, including you may not be able to fully appreciate the term SUBSTANTIAL. A female with small breasts complains and wants them bigger, is that a SUBSTANTIAL problem? Something that's going to stop her from finding a partner? Something that children will laugh and point at from the opposite side of the road?

What about a person with a nose a little bigger than usual? Is that SUBSTANTIAL? At what point does that person decide- "If I don't have this surgically fixed, life isn't worth living?" If that ever were to be the case, then cosmetic surgery is unlikely to have an effect, and they'll be back asking for many more revisions. It would be much more effective referring to them to a Psychologist to address the underlying issue.

I've worked on Plastics Wards in hospitals before, and I can appreciate whatSUBSTANTIAL means. It does not mean getting any cosmetic procedure on the NHS just because you don't feel good about yourself.
Reply 143
Original post by bouillabaisse
Healthcare policy should be decided on the basis of empathy - how would I feel if I was in their position, and the choice of an individual over their treatment or lack of it.

Objectivity and unbiasness is rarely fair or helpful.

Would you honestly rather I judge whether you needed treatment or not than yourself. Given that Idon't care about you, have no emotional involvement with you, and am therefore pretty unbias.

well not you no you don't seem like you would make sensible decisions over such things. but since thats how the system works and I'm happy with the system yes I would rather someone else decided other wise I know I would just take advantage and take more than I should be entitled to. health care policy should be decided in a way that works and in a way that can help everyone rather than make a few peoples lives perfect. The fact that you want to ignore the factor of money doesn't mean that it isn't important.
Reply 144
Original post by ta duck
Spoken like someone who's never had the piss taken out of them for how they look day in day out

Oh believe me I had far more than my share of petty comments and sneers from girls at high school, the thing is I just dealt with it, learnt to make the most of it, and moved on. I didn't go and have a major operation and take on all those risks associated with it, to change things.
Reply 145
Original post by emilymay
Oh believe me I had far more than my share of petty comments and sneers from girls at high school, the thing is I just dealt with it, learnt to make the most of it, and moved on. I didn't go and have a major operation and take on all those risks associated with it, to change things.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you judging by your profile pic so I imagine that was pretty easy. Personally I would rather have a 90 minute op over 'dealing with it' for years. Jesus, you get judged for looking 'wrong', and you get judged for putting it right!
Original post by ta duck
There's absolutely nothing wrong with you judging by your profile pic so I imagine that was pretty easy. Personally I would rather have a 90 minute op over 'dealing with it' for years. Jesus, you get judged for looking 'wrong', and you get judged for putting it right!

maybe you need to grow a thick skin and stop giving a toss what others think
Original post by hayzelle
Someone I know has just had cosmetic surgery on the NHS. It's not normally allowed except to correct health issues, but she claimed it was making her depressed about herself and they allowed her to have it (she had a chin reduction).

On one hand, it was clearly something she was insecure about and she's definitely more confident now after she's undergone the surgery.

However it is using money from taxpayers, which could be spent on treatment for a patient with a life-threatening illness.

And more philosophically, is this sending the wrong message? She's adopted the attitude that she's 'beaten everyone who ever called her ugly' because she's pretty now, but this could easily be seen as her giving in to the media's idea of beauty, i.e. sending the message 'your life sucked because you were ugly, but now you fit the media's standards of beauty more, your life will get better'.

What do you think? And if you had something about your physical features seen as extremely unattractive in today's society, would you consider plastic surgery? If it was avaliable on the NHS would you take it or would you go private?

TL;DR: What are your views on purely cosmetic surgery given to people on the NHS?

I'm unsure how i feel, because i've experienced the same thing first hand. People have always made me feel absolutely horrible about myself because of the size of my chin. It has caused me so much depression, i hate meeting new people or being around people in general because i feel like they can see it and they're going to think the same as everyone who's bullied me for it. I'm going to discuss my options with my dentist in a couple of weeks, because my jaw alignment and overbite is affected by it. Personally, if i couldn't get it on the NHS, i would have no problem paying for it privately, although finding over £3000 at my age is very difficult! Sounds clichéd but it whole heartedly would change my life so much..

EDIT: wow! didn't realise this had been posted so long ago haha
(edited 12 years ago)
So mental health isn’t an important enough reason? Why is it that if you care about how you look you get called vain and shallow?There is actually a huge difference between simply wanting bigger boobs and feeling depressed about how you look, because believe me, it happens. There are studies that show how plastic surgery greatly improved peoples happiness, self esteem and quality of life-some of whom were on anti depressants before. Yes, how ‘vain and shallow of them.’ In fact, the top benefit listed for a facelift on Harley Medical UK is ‘Increased self-confidence and self-esteem.’ Its better to fix the cause of the depression than wasting the same amount of money on therapy trying to convince the person that they don’t have a problem in the first place. Many people’s mental health is affected by how they look-is that such a crime?
Reply 149
Original post by BlueUnicorn500
So mental health isn’t an important enough reason? Why is it that if you care about how you look you get called vain and shallow?There is actually a huge difference between simply wanting bigger boobs and feeling depressed about how you look, because believe me, it happens. There are studies that show how plastic surgery greatly improved peoples happiness, self esteem and quality of life-some of whom were on anti depressants before. Yes, how ‘vain and shallow of them.’ In fact, the top benefit listed for a facelift on Harley Medical UK is ‘Increased self-confidence and self-esteem.’ Its better to fix the cause of the depression than wasting the same amount of money on therapy trying to convince the person that they don’t have a problem in the first place. Many people’s mental health is affected by how they look-is that such a crime?

Yes well thats all well and good but unfortunately the NHS has finite resources so i'd rather the budget for cosmetic surgery go to those who need reconstructive surgery and the like due to cancer, burns, chemical accidents and so on. If some lassy, to take your example, is simply feeling a bit blue because shes only got a pair of B's instead of D's she's more than welcome to pay out of her own pocket and not ask the country for a hand out where it isnt required.

Latest

Trending

Trending