The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It used to be better, I don't think the writing's as good now
Reply 41
Original post by Dorito
It is not in the same league as Sherlock. Which is odd, as Moffat writes for both shows.

Sherlock is definitely up there in the things I think the BBC are doing well at, I did really enjoy the most recent series.
I watch it mainly for the concepts and the occasionally masterpiece story. I had been looking forward to Matt Smith's second series but it just irritated me. Only The Doctor's Wife was the only decent episode. It's a shame because Steven Moffat has done amazing work with the re-imagining of Sherlock Holmes. Although I like Moffat, I find the more conceptually sci fi episodes more interesting. So if you look at the ones where they're usually on some sort of space ship, like in 42 or Waters of Mars (although in Waters of Mars we explored a nice plot). For these ones I don't usually mind if they don't have an amazingly original story but if you take the recent Christmas special it was just a mess. Nothing really Sci Fi to entice me, other than some random portal and the brief appearance of Bill Bailey as some acid miner in awesome looking armour. I don't often rewatch episodes of Doctor Who, so perhaps this is a reflection of how I feel about them. Perhaps as I watch them I imagine something so much more awesome happening before the disappointing solutions.

I have a feeling that people believe that people acting like children's entertainers for five year olds will actually suffice. Maybe they're lazy? You can have an awesome story without swearing and nudity and extreme violence you know. It's funny because you'll always find some silly character talking about various holocausts which take place in the universe and yet it all boils down to being silly.
(edited 12 years ago)
o.O Doctor Who is epic!
Original post by ritchie888
Yes.

Also, Total Wipeout is epic. Who doesn't like watching people stack it? No one, that's who.

Well in that case I guess I must no one. :rolleyes:

There's only so many times even the simplest of individuals can find somebody falling into water amusing, surely?
Original post by Ice Constricter
All those shows are better than Doctor Who.

I can see this is going to digress into a yet another debate about the subjectivity/objectivity of the intrinsic value of programming if we are not careful, but please do elaborate. How exactly are these shows "better" than Dr Who?

To summarize you're claiming that: 'Dancing on ice' a show in which Z list celebrities faff about on some ice; 'X Factor' a programme in which a group of talentless individuals are eventually whittled down until we're left with some vaguely in tune generic pop 'artist'; 'Take me out' a show based exclusively on the superficiality and shallowness of its moronic contestants. And 'Total Wipeout' the concept of which sees people repeatedly falling off of things into some water, are all better than Dr Who? A Bafta award winning programme listed in the Guinness World Records as the "most successful" science fiction series of all time and the longest-running science fiction television show in the world. On what conceivable objective measure of "better" are you basing this absurd assertion?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Dr who is well good
Reply 47
Original post by Dorito
Seriously, it is one of the worst things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

Well, should you ever change your mind, give the episode Blink with Carey Mulligan a go.
Which eps did you watch? The Tennant ones and earlier Matt Smith ones were pretty good, with a couple of exceptions, but the latest season was awful.
If anyone is interested in watching the best ones.

Empty child/doctor dances*
Girl in the fireplace
Impossible planet /satan pit
army of ghosts/doomsday
human nature/family of blood*
blink*
silence in the library/forest of the dead
eleventh hour
the doctor's wife

My absolute favourites *
Original post by Dorito
Seriously, it is one of the worst things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

Innitt. Doctor who is so bad, I cant handle even 5 minutes. I swear its a cbbc programme? Your housemates sound kinda lame. I have ever only ever known one girl to enjoy the show and she was kinda weird and had no friends...I dont know how relevant that is but..just saying. Doctor who is a joke. I would cringe so much if i ever had to sit with americans and watch the show with them.
Reply 51
I adored Eccleston and Tennant right up until the "specials" year. Absolutely magical. Then I didn't really dig the specials and after the regeneration it just totally went to pot. I tried to like Matt Smith, I really did, but the episodes are just balls. I gave up, to be honest. I couldn't care less if Amy died, Rory died, whoever died.

So if you want to judge Doctor Who, I'd judge it on the actually good episodes. Haven't seen Classic Who to comment, but no doubt better than the Smith tripe.

I didn't realise how strongly I felt until I typed this. :colondollar:
Original post by Chucklefiend
Well in that case I guess I must no one. :rolleyes:

There's only so many times even the simplest of individuals can find somebody falling into water amusing, surely?

No. They always find a new way to wall into the water in a comical fashion.
Original post by ritchie888
No. They always find a new way to wall into the water in a comical fashion.

Simple things, simple minds.
Original post by Chucklefiend
Simple things, simple minds.

True that!
Reply 55
Original post by Invisible Man
If by the one set in New York, you are referring to the Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks two parter, they are 2 of the poorer episodes.

Whilst there are some serious episodes of Doctor Who it is meant to be more of a lighthearted show. If you wanted to give the show another try, I would recommend you watch the episode called Blink. Its quite different to most episodes, The Doctor and companion are merely secondary characters. It has some fantastic ideas and is more of a serious episode with some tense moments.

is that the angel one? that one was a little bit creepy in the middle lol!!!
i also liked the one where the doctor was stuck on some shuttle bus thingy on a diamond planet....it had bbcs 'merlin' in it before he was merlin (colin morgan)

honestly, i mostly watch it now because ive been watching it since chris eccleston revived it with a load of gas masks. i enjoyed david tennant as the doctor mostly, he was much easier to see as the doctor. matt smith is pretty poor compared (as is the girl) but its still a cheesy show i can come home and watch after a long day at work. something to veg out to.

it is supposed to be over the top and a little cliche/cheesy. its continuing on from how it used to be. and of course it is aimed at a younger audience who care more for the dramatics etc. have you seen dr who at the proms? some of the kids watching are so small!!
Original post by POWCATTY
is that the angel one? that one was a little bit creepy in the middle lol!!!
i also liked the one where the doctor was stuck on some shuttle bus thingy on a diamond planet....it had bbcs 'merlin' in it before he was merlin (colin morgan)

honestly, i mostly watch it now because ive been watching it since chris eccleston revived it with a load of gas masks. i enjoyed david tennant as the doctor mostly, he was much easier to see as the doctor. matt smith is pretty poor compared (as is the girl) but its still a cheesy show i can come home and watch after a long day at work. something to veg out to.

it is supposed to be over the top and a little cliche/cheesy. its continuing on from how it used to be. and of course it is aimed at a younger audience who care more for the dramatics etc. have you seen dr who at the proms? some of the kids watching are so small!!

Yes Blink is the one with the Angels in. I think the episode you are referring to with Colin Morgan is called Midnight.
I think Matt Smith plays the role well, but the writing is pretty dire.

It's either plain ridiculous, stupidly confusing, way too predictable or a combination of all 3. The show is going down hill, not even the enthusiasm of Matt Smith can keep it interesting. :redface:

I do enjoy the really old episodes when the alien is just a guy that's been mummified in tin foil though :biggrin:

Edit: There were some episodes that have been genuinely creepy as well. The Weeping Angels and gas masks had me bricking it at times :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
How can anyone not?!?!
Reply 59
Original post by limu
How can anyone not?!?!

Thought I explained pretty well in my first post. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest