The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by Maccees
It's up to you then bud, if you do get caught though you run the risk of losing your license and car...

Not really trying to encourage it, but to be fair, it isn't that big of a deal, providing he doesn't go crazy in his car. Lots of people I know did it for their first year or two of driving, during their probation phase. But after that, they'd take out their own policies.

I remember one time I was with a mate, back when I was like 17-18, and police checked his car out because we'd stopped off to eat a sandwich in a carpark by a river that was frequented by drug dealers. The police didn't really suspect us of anything since we didn't look like scrags, but they said they had to check just in case. When asking about insurance details, and it popped up that his mum was the first driver, the police officer said something along the lines of "Oh yeah; that makes it cheaper, doesn't it? I see quite a lot of [new drivers] doing that." and then carried on just asking a few things.

That all said, he should be expecting to pay if he wants to get insured on an Astra VXR. He should have given insurance a bit more thought before getting the car and you are right. It's much better in the long term to have your own policy, doing shortcuts and abusing loopholes isn't always the best.
Reply 1041
Okay, quick question.

Normally when I've gotten insurance in the past, breakdown cover and similar extras have been included so I've given it absolutely zero thought.

This year, the cheapest quote I've got has it as an optional extra. I currently have the choice of going with the Insurer's bundle where I've given:

£4/month - legal expenses & hire car
£6/month - legal expenses, hire car & RAC breakdown assistance. The breakdown assistance can be upgraded to recovery, etc for an extra £1, £2 and so on.

I'll probably pick the £6/month package, as it's better to be safe than sorry. But my car is only 2 years old, so it's not like it's likely to breakdown any time soon, touch wood.

However, I was thinking that it might be slightly cheaper to get a more comprehensive form of breakdown cover directly from a breakdown & recovery company and going for that basic £4 bundle as well.

I'm not entirely sure. But I guess my basic quandary is just deciding between breakdown assistance and recovery, as there seems to be very little difference between the two.
Reply 1042
Original post by Tabris
Okay, quick question.

Normally when I've gotten insurance in the past, breakdown cover and similar extras have been included so I've given it absolutely zero thought.

This year, the cheapest quote I've got has it as an optional extra. I currently have the choice of going with the Insurer's bundle where I've given:

£4/month - legal expenses & hire car
£6/month - legal expenses, hire car & RAC breakdown assistance. The breakdown assistance can be upgraded to recovery, etc for an extra £1, £2 and so on.

I'll probably pick the £6/month package, as it's better to be safe than sorry. But my car is only 2 years old, so it's not like it's likely to breakdown any time soon, touch wood.

However, I was thinking that it might be slightly cheaper to get a more comprehensive form of breakdown cover directly from a breakdown & recovery company and going for that basic £4 bundle as well.

I'm not entirely sure. But I guess my basic quandary is just deciding between breakdown assistance and recovery, as there seems to be very little difference between the two.

I have an old car that wasn't used much before I got it so I have broken down about 6 times over the last 6 months, 3 times at home etc but 3 times on motorways/ in the middle of nowhere. I'm really glad I paid £10 extra for a recovery, rather than assistance so they took me home on the back of a truck instead of just to the nearest garage etc, the service was excelent - on the motorway I was picked up within half an hour both times, when I wasn't it was a longer hour and a half. But it was a non-priority as I was in a service car-park so not very dangerous. Basically, I can't imagine how a dedicated company (AA, RAC etc) could do any better/different. They might be better at actually fixing it at the side of the road? (I don't care about that, as if I can't fix it myself they won't have much of a chance)

Its well worth getting for an older car, and I would definatley get the recovery option. If your cars only 2 years old then I guess its a gamble... Depends whether you think its worth it, £72 a year is quite a lot for something you might never use.

I'd go for a hire car, it was so useful when someone drove into the back of me (other insurer gave me it). If you need your car its worth the couple of quid
Reply 1043
I guess I'll go for it anyway.

It's a fair bit of money, but it's better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it, right? I've wasted much more money on other things in the past, so wasted money (as bad as it is to say) is the least of my worries.

Thanks.

Edit:

Aagh, it isn't going through. Trying quotemehappy and since it's website only, I couldn't call them up. But they aren't taking my credit card for some reason and I called up earlier to authorise and large transaction.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1044
Hey is there any way I can check if the quote given to me is authentic or legit? I just got a quote of £1900 for a VXR !! I'm only 19 and I will also be the first driver, which has got me thinking why have they quoted me so cheap/less?? They have told me I will get a policy number, courtesy car etc but how can I be sure its for real and not a scam? Thanks
Original post by krk911
Hey is there any way I can check if the quote given to me is authentic or legit? I just got a quote of £1900 for a VXR !! I'm only 19 and I will also be the first driver, which has got me thinking why have they quoted me so cheap/less?? They have told me I will get a policy number, courtesy car etc but how can I be sure its for real and not a scam? Thanks

Call them up and ask. Be prepared for disappointment though haha.
Originally Posted by krk911

With what company was this with mate? im getting quotes at 2900 with admril has anyone had a decent quote from any site that i could try also?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1047
Original post by stuart1993

With what company was this with mate? im getting quotes at 2900 with admril has anyone had a decent quote from any site that i could try also?

Basically they said they do it 40% cheaper then the big companies and that its all fully legit, however its a bit too cheap ? I'm getting quoted £3500 cheapest with brother as a first driver and this person is giving me a quote of £1900 me as the first driver :/
krk911

Re: Cheap Car Insurance: Drivers Young And Old. PLEASE READ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by stuart1993

Basically they said they do it 40% cheaper then the big companies and that its all fully legit, however its a bit too cheap ? I'm getting quoted £3500 cheapest with brother as a first driver and this person

Hi what company did you go to for such a low quote im getting stuipid ones! would really help
Urh 7 days of freedom left.
Reply 1050
Original post by Camoxide
Urh 7 days of freedom left.

The box thingy really sin't that bad u know lovre
Original post by Xperia,
The box thingy really sin't that bad u know lovre

Going to enjoy being tailgated by ****ers because i'm doing 30 on a long open stretch of road.
Reply 1052
Hi there!
I've been looking for a first car to get, and I'm a little confused.
I read that the Toyota Aygo was a really cheap car to insure, yet I'm still getting quoted 4000+

Thanks.
Reply 1053
Prices varies for different people , some people may be able to get insured on such a car for £4000 and someone else for £1200
I agree. I varies for different people. Try getting quotes for different cars and see what sort of prices you get on them.
Reply 1055
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree. I varies for different people. Try getting quotes for different cars and see what sort of prices you get on them.

Copy cat, lol.

But yeah, it does definitely vary from person to person
Reply 1056
Im 17, and I live in a really good area. However I just can't get a good quote for any car I try :s-smilie:
Original post by George B
Im 17, and I live in a really good area. However I just can't get a good quote for any car I try :s-smilie:

It needs to be newer than 97, have a small engine and not modded.
Original post by George B

Try and get two older drivers on as well with good histories. Parents, Aunties, Uncles etc...
Somebody help me :frown:

I am 18, have a 1.2 fiesta and live in a fairly high risk area, insurance is £5000+!!
I have been on various websites such as tesco compare, tiger, co-op and all the go compare etc but i am getting quoted the same. I have tried my dad as th main driver who has 15 years of no claims but that has done nothing :frown:

I am really at a loss of what to do, dont want to sell my car but i think i might have to :'(

Has anyone else been in the same situation as me? What did you do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thank you

P.S has anyone tried ikube?

Latest