The Student Room Group

How do you revise for GCSE English Lit??

I'm aiming to get an A* in GCSE English Literature but I'm quite unsure of how to revise the content. I've been doing past papers and making some notes on the novels and poetry but is there anything else I could do? Are past papers the best way to revise?

I'd be grafteful for any advice. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Just re-read your set texts looking at things like settings, writers methods and key themes for each. Maybe do flashcards e.t.c and print out the poems to re-annotate them. Past papers are also a really good idea.

Don't stress! If you're revising already you're WELL on your way to an A*.

x
Reply 2
I'm having the exact same problem starrstruck!!

I've thought of re-analysing stories (or reading and analysing ones we haven't yet done in class!) writing up my notes for Of Mice and Men and the short stories and poems in neat, writing key cards for the common themes etc and trying to learn those, as well as practising timed and non timed exam qs which I'll ask my teacher to mark.

What do you reckon? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Student96
I'm having the exact same problem starrstruck!!

I've thought of re-analysing stories (or reading and analysing ones we haven't yet done in class!) writing up my notes for Of Mice and Men and the short stories and poems in neat, writing key cards for the common themes etc and trying to learn those, as well as practising timed and non timed exam qs which I'll ask my teacher to mark.

What do you reckon? :smile:

Yeah I think that's a good approach to revision. For Of Mice and Men I've basically been adjusting all the past papers so that I can cover each character and the themes- this way I'll be prepared in the exam. Also, to get the A* grade, you should definitely come up with "alternavtive interpretations" before the exam so that you don't waste time during the exam. Just basically make sure you show the examiner you've really engaged with the texts and that you're an insightful reader. Then hopefully you'll get the grade you want.
Reply 4
Original post by Starrstruck
Yeah I think that's a good approach to revision. For Of Mice and Men I've basically been adjusting all the past papers so that I can cover each character and the themes- this way I'll be prepared in the exam. Also, to get the A* grade, you should definitely come up with "alternavtive interpretations" before the exam so that you don't waste time during the exam. Just basically make sure you show the examiner you've really engaged with the texts and that you're an insightful reader. Then hopefully you'll get the grade you want.

Ah thanks, that's a good idea!!

So, what sort of alternative interpretations do you mean, of themes/symbols etc?:smile:
Ah, English Literature GCSE... takes me back a few years! My teacher gave us practice titles, and I did all the essays she threw at us. This helped me to get to know the books inside out and search for quotes, new meanings etc. Look at past papers and any help books and guides, or sites like sparknotes.

Ooh, and make sure you do the essays under timed conditions! It's easy to write a good essay in a few hours, but then of course when it comes to the real deal you have a lot less time! I used to be a bit naughty and do my essay at lunchtime, since my lesson was after lunch, so I was really under pressure to write a good essay :biggrin:

Got an A* in the end :smile:
Reply 6
Ah thanks, that's a good idea!!

So, what sort of alternative interpretations do you mean, of themes/symbols etc?:smile:

I mean that when you're unpicking a quote such as Curley's wife "rouged lips" you give several suggestions. For example as well as the red symbolising danger, it also reminds the readers that she's a bit like the snake at the Garden of Eden- trying to tempt u to do bad, the red reminds us of a devil. Something like that.
Reply 7
I mean that when you're unpicking a quote such as Curley's wife "rouged lips" you give several suggestions. For example as well as the red symbolising danger, it also reminds the readers that she's a bit like the snake at the Garden of Eden- trying to tempt u to do bad, the red reminds us of a devil. Something like that.

Ah I see, ok! Thanks for that, that's a really useful tip - I'm going to remember it! :biggrin: If you have any other questions that I might be able to help with, just ask :smile:
Reply 8
For the poetry part of English Literature, should i annotate every poem in conflict so then in the exam i will be able to compare any of the poems?
Reply 9
Ah I see, ok! Thanks for that, that's a really useful tip - I'm going to remember it! :biggrin: If you have any other questions that I might be able to help with, just ask :smile:

I'm glad I could help. I have a question: how do u revise for poetry? I've annotated all the poems but I'm not allowed to have my annotated anthology in the exam. I know that I should do past papers but it's a bit daunting to realise I have to memorise my annotations.
Reply 10
Original post by shyamshah
For the poetry part of English Literature, should i annotate every poem in conflict so then in the exam i will be able to compare any of the poems?

Yes u should annotate all of them but try not to cram all the annotations in ur head. Just memorise a few bits from each poems with good explanations and then u should be fine.
Yes u should annotate all of them but try not to cram all the annotations in ur head. Just memorise a few bits from each poems with good explanations and then u should be fine.

Yeah, i bought the CGP Anthology book so ill just try and remember the notes in that book.

Ok, thank you! I'll try my best :wink:
Reply 13
Has anyone got tips with how to handle unseen? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by amy321
Has anyone got tips with how to handle unseen? :smile:

Oh yeah I've got plenty. Make sure you always underline the main themes in the title, don't follow a specific structure.g. language, form and structure, just pick quotes and then add the relevent techniques as you're going along. Be creative and be confident about what you say, remember there's no right or wrong answer. Also, make sure your personal opinions are very strong with embedded opinions- it's your chance to show the examiner you've engaged with the poem. Don't forget to spend 5 mins to annotate the poem before you start and make a quick plan. Ask yourself- how do these quotes make me feel and then write it down. Just remeber to be very judgemental. Good luck!
Reply 15
Oh yeah I've got plenty. Make sure you always underline the main themes in the title, don't follow a specific structure.g. language, form and structure, just pick quotes and then add the relevent techniques as you're going along. Be creative and be confident about what you say, remember there's no right or wrong answer. Also, make sure your personal opinions are very strong with embedded opinions- it's your chance to show the examiner you've engaged with the poem. Don't forget to spend 5 mins to annotate the poem before you start and make a quick plan. Ask yourself- how do these quotes make me feel and then write it down. Just remeber to be very judgemental. Good luck!

oh okay! Thank you!
OMG :frown:
Seeing all you guys so confident, and actually revising makes me realise alot :P
So guys, is this a good idea
Making a personal revision guide on all the stories, and making brainstorms, watching videos on youtube ( which actually do help ) and practicing essays !
Btw, in how much depth do you actually have to talk about language ?
For example is this enough - so and so is this, the writer says this, this shows this, and the writter uses * a certain word * ; could that count as language ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending