The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F215 Control, Genomes and Environment Fri 15 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Hi F215 people!
At school we got given a revision disc with loads of past questions (from the previous specification) that are relevant to this course.

I've uploaded them to Google Docs, and they should be viewable from the below link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By84nmCmJZnWMU5EN2RDcmtBU2s

This includes questions for F211, F212, F214 and F215

Please +ve rep if this has been helpful! :smile:

You are ahmazing!! :awesome: Thank you! +rep
Reply 81
Hi F215 people!
At school we got given a revision disc with loads of past questions (from the previous specification) that are relevant to this course.

I've uploaded them to Google Docs, and they should be viewable from the below link:

Please +ve rep if this has been helpful! :smile:

This is amazing, what my teachers give me are only past exam questions from the new spec.

Original post by CGB
Thanks a lot!

I was thinking maybe we could collectively come up with a big list of all the possible experiment questions that might come up in F215? So that none of us get caught out on some stupid "glass bead" type questions again :smile:

I have already started a list on what came up and what hasn't came up in the F214 and F215 exams from the specification.
Reply 82
hey I was just wondering how most of you are revising for this exam?
For f214 I just made notes from the Ocr textbook and tried to memorise them and completely failed :/. But doing this 'technique' at As level i got C's (not amazing I know but I only need a C). But, I would like a B in this and f214 to hopefully take my overall grade upto a B with the hope I done well on my practicals.

so yeah.... and I have just started my notes for f215 recently, am I starting too late to achieve a grade B? But my notes for f214 are already done. Any help appreciated thanks :smile:
Reply 83
Was just wondering in the OCR exams, for biology/chemistry is it possible to lose marks on questions if you mention wrong points despite mentioning all the correct points?

For example, a ordinary 3 marker - You mention all correct three points but then mention an extra point that may not correct. Would I be penalised for this and get 2/3 instead of 3/3? I ask this question because, I notice myself losing marks on questions whenever I add too many points, and feel like I may have added something which may not have been accurate.

I know that if it asks for three points, you are only allowed to give three points, but this is for general questions.

Also, is there some sort of way of contacting OCR as I have a few other questions about the specification, specifically about the 'synoptic questions' and the 'how science works' questions.
Hi F215 people!

Thats Great Thanks for sharing!!
How come I can't download them as folders like folder one is Cellular Control?
Do I have to download them one by one?
Original post by S_Azizi
Was just wondering in the OCR exams, for biology/chemistry is it possible to lose marks on questions if you mention wrong points despite mentioning all the correct points?

For example, a ordinary 3 marker - You mention all correct three points but then mention an extra point that may not correct. Would I be penalised for this and get 2/3 instead of 3/3? I ask this question because, I notice myself losing marks on questions whenever I add too many points, and feel like I may have added something which may not have been accurate.

I know that if it asks for three points, you are only allowed to give three points, but this is for general questions.

Also, is there some sort of way of contacting OCR as I have a few other questions about the specification, specifically about the 'synoptic questions' and the 'how science works' questions.

Yeh contact OCR and please let us know what they say!:rolleyes: the least is you get 10-12 reps !
But I tell you that if you put a point where in MS says R (your answer) you lose a mark for it !
say its in a table and you got to put only one word and you put two one of them is wrong you dont get the mark! I am talking from the past experience !
Reply 86
Original post by arvin_infinity
Yeh contact OCR and please let us know what they say!:rolleyes: the least is you get 10-12 reps !
But I tell you that if you put a point where in MS says R (your answer) you lose a mark for it !
say its in a table and you got to put only one word and you put two one of them is wrong you dont get the mark! I am talking from the past experience !

Only problem is, trying to get contact with them. People have told me they're really unresponsive.

Going to ring them now, to see what they say.

Edit: Rang them, they said they're not able to speak to candidates regarding how exams are marked. I'll need to get my teacher to ring in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi F215 people!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:jO2GqifY1j0J:tongue:astpapers.org/A2/biology/central-concepts/2002%2520June%2520MS.pdf+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjN5nLSRRV3FqmJsQz9-bxBi7K2nzyihKCurcShY_yxp3SjyRKNEeIRpq7buwEqddvhgBfgHVLBYISOFmshVs7-GhYXOJj7ioCP3rPzcN7F-v-cMoumPeLXBwY0AhgvxgdkmWwz&sig=AHIEtbST2snD0-vNXWdEuholg25Ewa_rSA

+rep

One of them MS is messed up! above is the link if you wanna replace it
Reply 88
Original post by S_Azizi

I was told the examiner marks your first three points, if your later ones are correct they wouldn't count apparently.
Reply 89
Original post by hash007
I was told the examiner marks your first three points, if your later ones are correct they wouldn't count apparently.

I looked into this. That is only the case, if the question asks 'state only three points' or something of similar nature. From looking around, the only time you lose marks is if you mention a point that contradicts your previous statements. Neutral points are just ignored.
Reply 90
Hi F215 people!

omg! THANKYOUUUUU! this is exactly what i needed/wanted!! can i ask you something please..would you advise me to do ALL of the questions..im also resitting F214 :/ ..so should i do all of the F215 AND F214 ones? and top of that i would have to do the recent ones..do i have enough time?..im panicking!! :/
Original post by Raj K
omg! THANKYOUUUUU! this is exactly what i needed/wanted!! can i ask you something please..would you advise me to do ALL of the questions..im also resitting F214 :/ ..so should i do all of the F215 AND F214 ones? and top of that i would have to do the recent ones..do i have enough time?..im panicking!! :/

No problem. I would try and do the questions on the disc 'as you go' - perhaps don't all but do a decent spread. ie when you've done meiosis, do some questions on them. I would personally leave the past papers towards the end as 'final revision', but thats only my opinion.
Reply 92
No problem. I would try and do the questions on the disc 'as you go' - perhaps don't all but do a decent spread. ie when you've done meiosis, do some questions on them. I would personally leave the past papers towards the end as 'final revision', but thats only my opinion.

thank you :smile:
Reply 93
is anyone doing the 'Application to Genetics' legacy past papers on the ocr website???? do you think it's similar to this exam we're doing now?? someone please let me know thanksx
Original post by Raj K
is anyone doing the 'Application to Genetics' legacy past papers on the ocr website???? do you think it's similar to this exam we're doing now?? someone please let me know thanksx

I would say on average about 60% of it is relevant to modules 1 and 2
Reply 95
Original post by Mike-nificent
I would say on average about 60% of it is relevant to modules 1 and 2

thank you (:
Reply 96
Within the cellular control module, i understand transcription/translation and meosis.. However i do not understand anything to ndo with epistatis/gene loci/genetic diagrams/genetic crossing/chi squares :frown:
No matter how muhc i go over it and have it taught to me, i do not understand it.
Does anyone care to explain in simple terms? Thankyou!!!!
Reply 97
i think im going to fail this exam :/ really dont know how to revise properly for it no matter how much i try
Reply 98
Original post by ammzz
Within the cellular control module, i understand transcription/translation and meosis.. However i do not understand anything to ndo with epistatis/gene loci/genetic diagrams/genetic crossing/chi squares :frown:
No matter how muhc i go over it and have it taught to me, i do not understand it.
Does anyone care to explain in simple terms? Thankyou!!!!

This is going to be abit long, sorry:tongue:. I am going to try to simplify it epistasis. Epistasis is bascially when two different genes on two different loci (loci means position on the chromosome) interact to affect one phenotypic charecteristic such as the colour of a flower. There are two types of how these genes can work together, one is antagonistically and one is where they work together (complementary). Antagonistic epistasis is basically where one gene will "mask/supress" the expression of the other gene. So you have two types of antagonistic, one which is recessive and one that is dominant.

The recessive epistasis is basically, if I have a recessive aa at one loci (lets say this is a white colour for flowers), it does not matter what gene comes after that, that specific aa will always be expressed in the phenotype. So aaBB/aaBb will give me the same white colour of the flower. The phenotypic ratio for recessive is 9:3:4. Whilst with dominant epistasis, ifI have Aa/AA at one loci (lets say this is a pink colour), it does not matter what gene comes after that , that dominant Aa/AA will be expressed in the phenotype. So AaBB/AABB/Aabb/AaBb will all give me the same pink colour. If you see the phenotypic ratio 13:1/12:3:1 it suggests dominant epistasis.

And with complementary epistasis, it means that the two dominant alleles at the two different loci work together to give the phenotypic expression. a 9:7 ratio suggests it is complementary epistasis.

The alleles at the first loci are epistatic (so they are doing the masking/suppressed) to the alleles at the second loci, which are called hypostatic(they are being masked/suppressed).

Erm yerh, alot of waffling sorry :tongue: . If I have made any mistakes, please do correct me.
Reply 99
Original post by Raj K
i think im going to fail this exam :/ really dont know how to revise properly for it no matter how much i try

Hey, that is not the fighting spirit eh :tongue:. This exam is solid big,big time but look you have about a month and three weeks left. I am planning on really going for it and so should you. I started bio revision this revision and I have been making notes. Also, I read my notes at night. I am planning on going through the content (nowhere near finished in college) and then going crazy on questions.

Best of luck, we all really need it :cute:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending