The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Brunel Court Studio Flat

I'm moving into one of brunel court's single studios. Was just wondering what they are like and if there is anything I should know about them??

went and viewed it today and it seem okay, but you never know!

Scroll to see replies

Have you lived in brunel before?
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
i'm staying in a studio from sept as well! they look really cool and i kinda like how it's self contained... stayed in iq kopa in my first year and they are by far the best halls in preston, stayed in a shared flat in brunel court this year and i was relatively happy...

the only thing i've heard about the studios is that the wifi doesn't reach some of them, but i think they're making some more improvements to the internet over the summer...
Reply 3
I'm in a studio in Brunel at the moment and don't really have a problem with the internet. Most of the time it's fine and I have a useable connection. I'm in the same place for my third year too.

Are you in an annex studio? I think only the ones in the annex building have an oven and the ones in the main building have a combi microwave/oven, not one hundred percent sure though as I've only been in annex studios.
Reply 4
Original post by NC91
I'm in a studio in Brunel at the moment and don't really have a problem with the internet. Most of the time it's fine and I have a useable connection. I'm in the same place for my third year too.

Are you in an annex studio? I think only the ones in the annex building have an oven and the ones in the main building have a combi microwave/oven, not one hundred percent sure though as I've only been in annex studios.

yep gonna be moving into an anex one.. i think dave mentioned to me that the ovens in annex building were newer than the other ones, so maybe ur right.

i do have a question u may be able to answer tho, don't worry if u can't, basically i'm gonna set up my own broadband and i just need to know whether the studios have a phone line jack on the wall, or do u need to get a bt engineer to install one?
Reply 5
Yeah there's one on the wall above the desk.
Reply 6
Original post by Timor
yep gonna be moving into an anex one.. i think dave mentioned to me that the ovens in annex building were newer than the other ones, so maybe ur right.

i do have a question u may be able to answer tho, don't worry if u can't, basically i'm gonna set up my own broadband and i just need to know whether the studios have a phone line jack on the wall, or do u need to get a bt engineer to install one?

They do have the plug for it but just to warn you that you may have a problem with the broadband companies setting up your own broadband. It used to be true that in brunel you could easily get your own broadband (I did this two years ago) but last year I tried and no company would accept us because we lived in halls and it was a multi occupancy address...we fought it for months saying we had it last year no problem but in the end they wouldn't do it for us.

You may be lucky as I know some people (somehow) got broadband because we kept picking up their signal but yeah it might not work either
Reply 7
Original post by Boo_x
They do have the plug for it but just to warn you that you may have a problem with the broadband companies setting up your own broadband. It used to be true that in brunel you could easily get your own broadband (I did this two years ago) but last year I tried and no company would accept us because we lived in halls and it was a multi occupancy address...we fought it for months saying we had it last year no problem but in the end they wouldn't do it for us.

You may be lucky as I know some people (somehow) got broadband because we kept picking up their signal but yeah it might not work either

thanks for the info, do you happen to remember which companies said no to you?
Reply 8
Original post by Timor
thanks for the info, do you happen to remember which companies said no to you?

o2 and sky.
We tried BT but that was a rip off and I think they may have done it but it would have been triple the price. The dilemma was to do with the phone line I think. The previous year I had o2 with their phone line and broadband no problem though.
I went today to look at a studio at Brunel, do you know if it is wifi only or can you plug in an ethernet cable into the wall? I'm not in the annex so no oven for me which sucks but the guy told me I can buy my own mini-oven and they're only like £40 which isn't too bad (: I put my name down for a corner room in the main building which is quite a large room, so looking forward to it defo :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by danposmaytee
I went today to look at a studio at Brunel, do you know if it is wifi only or can you plug in an ethernet cable into the wall? I'm not in the annex so no oven for me which sucks but the guy told me I can buy my own mini-oven and they're only like £40 which isn't too bad (: I put my name down for a corner room in the main building which is quite a large room, so looking forward to it defo :biggrin:

There's complementary wifi which is pretty rubbish, but you can buy your own private broadband through an external company.
Reply 11

Hey Dan :tongue:

Yeah it's wifi only but it's rubbish and there has been problems with people getting external providers (see above posts)...you may be lucky though.
Brunel may improve their wifi for this sept but tbh I doubt it, it's known for having rubbish internet
Also moving in to a studio flat this September.
Original post by Boo_x
Hey Dan :tongue:

Yeah it's wifi only but it's rubbish and there has been problems with people getting external providers (see above posts)...you may be lucky though.
Brunel may improve their wifi for this sept but tbh I doubt it, it's known for having rubbish internet

Oh right lol, well I think I may be living with my friend now hopefully. This internet thing worries me though as my hobby is gaming and I won't be able to do that for a year, I'd be so bored...hell, I may even have to do uni work :'(
Reply 14
Oh right lol, well I think I may be living with my friend now hopefully. This internet thing worries me though as my hobby is gaming and I won't be able to do that for a year, I'd be so bored...hell, I may even have to do uni work :'(

Also in Brunel, also worried about the situation with the internet! Work from home via the internet for a bit of pocket money so really hope it's not an issue this year and it's been improved.
Reply 15
Hi Guys,

Just wondering...how much are the Brunel Court studios? (Or any other Uni accom studios?) I'd be interested in checking them out if they're still available and the rent isn't too high!

Thanks
Original post by DrFroggies
Hi Guys,

Just wondering...how much are the Brunel Court studios? (Or any other Uni accom studios?) I'd be interested in checking them out if they're still available and the rent isn't too high!

Thanks

Hey man, as far as I'm aware a single en suite studio is £104 per week. Not sure if any are available though.

I moved into my Annex studio today and I was pleasantly surprised by the size of it. I'd like to retract my previous statement about the usability of the Internet. By god it's awful. I seriously hope they do something about it this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by DrFroggies
Hi Guys,

Thanks

I think no studios are available any more and they are for 104£ pw

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Can I just clarify my above post, the internet is a lot better now. You just need to tweak your IPV4 settings. If you need help doing this feel free to send me a personal message.
Reply 19
Original post by UclanStudioFlat
A large studio flat has become available at Brunel Court private halls - it is the last remaining one. For £104 a week (only a few quid more than most en-suites) you get your own private flat with en-suite bathroom, mini kitchen/dining table and chairs etc. Brunel Court is in a perfect central location - it is only a two minute walk to both the town centre and to all of the university buildings and it is right next door to Aldi!

Available now.

Check out their website or call the manager Dave to book on - 01772 886675

Can't access the sight that comes up for Brunel Court? Can i ask does £104 include bills and what deposit is required?

Quick Reply

Latest