The Student Room Group

UCAS Point Confusion

Evening All,

I am trying to work out my UCAS points and it's doing my nuts in... Sorry!
I didn't do v well at school and got only 3 GCSE c+ and 1 A level grade d. I finished my HND in Business Information Technology recently and was rewarded with a distinction. I am now coming to a climax with the top up degree course of the same title.

Can anyone tell me how many points i have and does the HND carry any point values and if so how many ?

Mucho Gracias
(Watching BBC2 Talk Spanish!!!!)

v :smile:
The HND carries no UCAS points value, as it is a higher education qualification and not a further education qualification. It is (theoretically) above the level of A-Levels, Highers, AVCEs and the like.

Your grade D at A-Levels woud carry a points value of 60. Your GCSEs don't contribute. So unless you also have AS-Levels, your points tally is 60.
Reply 2
XTinaA
The HND carries no UCAS points value, as it is a higher education qualification and not a further education qualification. It is (theoretically) above the level of A-Levels, Highers, AVCEs and the like.

Your grade D at A-Levels woud carry a points value of 60. Your GCSEs don't contribute. So unless you also have AS-Levels, your points tally is 60.

Not much then :frown:

Thanks XtinaA 4 points on the old system. I really don't understand y they change the tarrif system. Maybe it's to make people like me feel better with 60 rather than a measly 4 points !!!

V :smile:
It's to make it easier to accomodate equivalent qualifications such as the Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers, AVCEs, GNVQs and the rest.

On the bright side you have a HND. If you're looking to do a degree this may give you some sort of edge.
Reply 4
HND doesn't carry any points. All you need is good grades on the HND course to go onto a top up degree course.
Reply 5
villarde
Not much then :frown:

Thanks XtinaA 4 points on the old system. I really don't understand y they change the tarrif system. Maybe it's to make people like me feel better with 60 rather than a measly 4 points !!!

V :smile:

It lets them give a small number of points to less/non academic qualifications. I think you can get a few UCAS points for passing high instrument grades.
If you have a HND, then I think that would be the focus of your qualifications, rather than any A levels, GCSEs, etc. as it is at a higher level.

Latest

Trending

Trending