The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Harborne is a bit residential and boring to be honest. Selly Oak is where it's at :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Doesn't really make a difference towards social life. Whether you life 10 or 18 minutes from the Bristol Road pubs isn't going to affect the decision of whether or not to go there.

Houses in Harbourne will on average be better quality. So you're less likely to have the roof leak on you and all your papers while sitting in your room writing the dissertation two nights before it's due.
Reply 3
HJV
Doesn't really make a difference towards social life. Whether you life 10 or 18 minutes from the Bristol Road pubs isn't going to affect the decision of whether or not to go there.

Houses in Harbourne will on average be better quality. So you're less likely to have the roof leak on you and all your papers while sitting in your room writing the dissertation two nights before it's due.

Agreed on the better quality point, but the time difference is more like 5 mins vs 30mins.. It takes 20 mins from university station to walk to Bristol Road, 25 mins from Pritchatts so 30 from Harbourne's pretty kind!
Reply 4
jk1986
Agreed on the better quality point, but the time difference is more like 5 mins vs 30mins.. It takes 20 mins from university station to walk to Bristol Road, 25 mins from Pritchatts so 30 from Harbourne's pretty kind!

If you get a bicycle then you'll make it from home to Soak in the same time as someone living in Tiverton 300-something. :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies!

HJV

Did you live in Harborne, out of interest?
Reply 6
cactussed
Thanks for the replies!

Did you live in Harborne, out of interest?

No. In Selly Oak, although not in the Tiverton-Dawlish area.
HJV
If you get a bicycle then you'll make it from home to Soak in the same time as someone living in Tiverton 300-something. :smile:

Who cycles to the pub? :confused:
Reply 8
ScarlettDangerfield
Who cycles to the pub? :confused:

Why not?
HJV
Why not?

Well, just that going to the pub is usually a group activity so it would make sense to walk down together. Also I wouldn't fancy my chances on Bristol Road after a few. Not saying it's a completely ridiculous idea though..
Reply 10
I've got to agree on Harborne being a good idea, for a number of reasons, which may not be relevant to you. I loathe the crummy nature of Selly Oak, it is an unbelievable **** hole as an area. Also as HJV said, the value you get for your money is considerably worse than in Harborne, which I rather like. If you're not into the whole 'living like a student' like me, then you'll appreciate the more down to earth nature of Harborne, although if you've never lived in Selly Oak I think it's worth the experience, it is unlikely you will ever get to live with so many friends within 5 minutes of you. I've got friends in 5 different houses on my road alone (Harrow Rd).

These are the factors I would bear in mind regarding living in Harborne vs. Selly Oak, the transportational issues I think are irrelevant, and an insignificant trade off to what I consider far greater positives. I really could not care less about walking to the pub with my friends or meeting them there, the journey is an irrelevant necessity, and to be honest, I haven't "walked down together" since probably the first month of term. That said you're a girl, which may factor in.

Latest

Trending

Trending