The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Does St Andrews reject Oxbridge applicants

Poll

Do you have an offer from Oxbridge and/or St Andrews

I just want to know if anyone has an Oxbridge offer and a St Andrews one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly, they don't know where you applied, secondly yes, many people have offers from both and thirdly, they'd be quite silly if they systematically rejected Oxbridge applicants.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Who has received offers from both?
Reply 3
Obviously not.
You should add the "Didn't apply to Oxbridge, got offer from St Andrews" option.
Reply 5
Original post by Caranthirion
You should add the "Didn't apply to Oxbridge, got offer from St Andrews" option.

This

And how is that relevant to what the OP's trying to find out?
Reply 7
Original post by MikeySwansea
And how is that relevant to what the OP's trying to find out?

If you add in a "Didn't apply to oxbridge and was rejected from St Andrews" option as well then you can see if a higher percentage of people who didn't apply to oxbridge got accepted when compared to people who applied to both.
I had offers from both Oxford and St Andrews last UCAS cycle...
Reply 9
Didn't apply to Oxford, wish I did.
Reply 10
I know lots of people here who got rejected by Oxbridge but got into St Andrews (including me). Equally I know lots who didn't apply to Oxbridge and got into St Andrews. Applying to Oxbridge does not affect your St Andrews application.
Regardless of the results of this poll. which is ludicrous by the way - the answer is no. What the hell would the university gain if they turned away oxbridge applicants? Nothing.

Use your head for once. Different courses in different unis look for different things.

This thread is stupid, I can't get over how idiotic the notion is. Why not send an e-mail to the university and get an answer?
Then perhaps we should ask ourselves why it is that some people think St Andrews rejects Oxbridge applicants?
Then perhaps we should ask ourselves why it is that some people think St Andrews rejects Oxbridge applicants?

OP got an offer from Cambridge and rejected by St Andrews and thus is butthurt.
Original post by matthew769
OP got an offer from Cambridge and rejected by St Andrews and thus is butthurt.

Yet his case is surely not an isolated one? I remember reading about St Andrews rejecting Oxbridgers before the 2012 UCAS cycle.
Yet his case is surely not an isolated one? I remember reading about St Andrews rejecting Oxbridgers before the 2012 UCAS cycle.

Are they not allowed to? If they have rejected Oxbridge applicants, it's certainly not for the sole reason they applied to Oxbridge.
Reply 16
Oxford and Cambridge are bigger universities than St Andrews, with the same group people applying some people are going to get turned down.
St Andrews is near-Oxbridge level only for some subjects. Many of the other applicants would prefer Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham or LSE.

I am simply wondering why they would reject a top applicant with a perfect academic record and instead give an offer to someone who has scored far below him/her?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
St Andrews is near-Oxbridge level only for some subjects. Many of the other applicants would prefer Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham or LSE.

I am simply wondering why they would reject a top applicant with a perfect academic record and instead give an offer to someone who has scored far below him/her?

Maybe because they look for more than grades? Oxbridge can interview, so for some of the smaller subjects, they interview nearly all candidates, so a quick glance at their PS is enough, so see whether they are half decently interested in their subject. Then in the interview applicants can show much more of themselves. But another uni might only have your application, and if your PS is not as well-tailored to their course, they can get the impression that you don't know what your applying for and that another applicant will be better suited for their department.
Reply 19

The assumption is that someone else has scored below them, this doesn't need to be true. Someone could have top grades and not apply to Oxbridge. And there's still the case that St Andrews has far less places available than Oxbridge(although may make more offers.)

Quick Reply

Latest