The Student Room Group

Lse, imperial or warwick for a career in consulting?

Hi,
Im in my final year studying Economics and currently have offers from LSE (Management and Strategy), Imperial Business School (Economics and Strategy for Business) and Warwick (Business Analytics and Consulting) and need to make a choice within the next few weeks.

I had my mind set on a London uni as its supposed to be better for jobs / networking events and so had warwick as my last choice. But i got offered a 50% (£11,250) scholarship from warwick so not sure if I should accept it on that basis..?

My plan is to work in consulting / advisory in london after I graduate but only very short term (2 years) before returning home outside of the UK. Basically I want to base my choice on what will give me the best opportunity to get a job at the end - which is super hard at the moment for international students!!

I know LSE has a better name, but I by far prefer the course at Imperial - its much more practical. Should I choose the one I like, or the one that will more likely get me a job? OR are both recognised enough to get me a job?

Thanks.
Reply 1
The thing about consultancy is that they mainly recruit from Oxbridge and from MBA programmes as far as I know, it's a very university dependent thing. On that basis, I would recommend you pick LSE as I think your chances at Imperial and Warwick (to break into a top firm like McKinsey) would be very slim. Even at LSE your chances aren't that good if I'm totally honest with you, but I have heard of some people here and there getting offers from LSE.
Reply 2
As I'm sure you're aware they're all incredibly prestigious, especially for your subject. Personally I'd have to say LSE is probably a notch more highly regarded in finance/consulting, although the Imperial Business School is very well-regarded internationally, and of course one of Warwick's strengths is this field. Though maybe Warwick is less well known internationally?

I can only vouch for internship offers given by PwC - it really seemed they weren't fussed about your university/degree if you can actually perform well in their competency tests (and I would imagine most other consultancies would similarly emphasise your performance in their assessment centres), and the picture would be similar for a graduate position (assuming you meet their minimum requirements, usually a 2:1 unless you're targeting McKinsey or the like).

Personally, I'd go for LSE purely for the prestige of the name and as the course sounds more heavily slanted towards consultancy than Imperial's. I'm sure you'll do just fine whichever one you pick.
Reply 3
Original post by Swayum
The thing about consultancy is that they mainly recruit from Oxbridge and from MBA programmes as far as I know, it's a very university dependent thing. On that basis, I would recommend you pick LSE as I think your chances at Imperial and Warwick (to break into a top firm like McKinsey) would be very slim. Even at LSE your chances aren't that good if I'm totally honest with you, but I have heard of some people here and there getting offers from LSE.

I don't know much about graduate positions, but for internships PwC's Consulting line of service were dishing out offers irrespective of uni/course as long as people performed well in their competency tests etc. They made offers to quite a few people attending non top-tier unis, but again this is only for an 8 week summer internship not a full time graduate role.
If you said you are eventually moving out of UK you should go to LSE. Rep is better outside the UK than Warwick or Imperial.
Reply 5
Original post by Swayum

QFT. if u really want to go the consultancy, pls save the money for this Masters, work a few years and get an MBA instead from Cambridge, Oxford or LBS.

U will thank me later on.
Reply 6
LSE is more well known than Imperial and warwick
Reply 7
Warwick has strong ties with consultancy companies, that may be worth consideration. Look at some of the alumni profiles.
Reply 8
Several Warwick grads now work for McKinsey too, Swayum. And, for it's price (50% off), I'd take that over LSE and Imperial, in a heart beat.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
The best indicator is to go to consultancy companies websites and check if the schools you have an offer from are listed as target schools, or have their own dedicated recruitment page. Those that are listed in all/most websites are probably the best choice.

Just my two cents.
Reply 10
I would go for LSE as it is one of the most prestigious fiance MScs in the world. I am willing to pay for additional £10k - £15k for a LSE MSc Finance than a Warwick MSc Finance as it is just so prestigous to have a LSE MSc Finance in the corporate sector.
Vote for LSE!!!!

Consulting groups like McKinsey frequently present at LSE. and its alumni often go back to LSE to share their experiences such as the paper test and interview skills.
BTW,

could u share ur experience of interviews?
there are case studies, right?

Many thx!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending