The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marcth
I wanted to know if this course would prepare me for any course I decide to take at university.
Marc

Hi there.

There is only one way to know. You need to contact the Unis you are interested in and find out what are the entry requirements for the course you want! Hint: some of the universities have this info on their website! :wink:

Don't bother asking "Do u take Access to HE in Social Sciences?", instead ask only if they take Access and what are the requirements because they don't particularly care what pathway you are in and how they have named your course (unless you want to do medicine). I will give you an example. UWE for nursing asks for 30 level credits at merit and 15 of theses 30 level 3 credits must be in a science or social science. So, as long as you get enough credits in science or social science, they don't care if your access is access to science, access to health, access to nursing or whatever. You def need to meet the requirements but for most unis the pathway you choose is irrelevant- anyway check! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
I have received a letter saying they are processing by application. I just wanted to ask about the interview and assessment. Would I need to study maths and English to prepare for the test. As. I haven't studied in decades I wouldn't know where to begin. Also at the interview would they ask what course I would eventually like to study at uni. How was the interview and test for other people?
Reply 82
Original post by Marcth
I have received a letter saying they are processing by application. I just wanted to ask about the interview and assessment. Would I need to study maths and English to prepare for the test. As. I haven't studied in decades I wouldn't know where to begin. Also at the interview would they ask what course I would eventually like to study at uni. How was the interview and test for other people?

http://www.move-on.org.uk/practicetests.asp

Click on L2 Literacy and L2 Numeracy.
These are the kind of questions you will probably get, it varies too much for anyone to give you a accurate answer.
I've been accepted onto my access to nursing course, I am so thrilled. The pre access, that my college pretty much say you have to do, starts the week beginning 12th March and it's going to be one day and one evening a week for 10 weeks and it fnishes in June, with half terms etc of course.

What's mad is that I don't know what days I'm doing yet. They said they would let me know by letter after having my acceptance back. It starts next week so they're seriously cutting it fine, if I haven't heard by Wednesday I think I'll give the college a ring. I work wed - sat 10-3pm so I can do any evening but if the daytime one is one of the days I'm working I'll have to pretty much beg my boss if I can change that day of working to another day just for the 10 weeks.

The actual access course itself is provisionally meant to be just one day a week on a Tuesday so that'll be fine for me if it is stays that way! It's the part time course too so it's beyond me how people are meant to do it if they work full time.
Reply 84
Original post by ilovelabradors
Yeah, don't worry. I applied about 2 or 3 months before receiving a mail inviting me to the interview. This happens because they are not setting a date exclusively for you. They will be interviewing you as well as everyone else so you'll have to wait. :tongue:

You'll be fine, I am sure. I believe Colleges take returning students in high consideration so you will be very well received on your interview and you will love it! :smile:

Got told they don't start confirming people until July.
Original post by adam271
Got told they don't start confirming people until July.

See?
Reply 86
Hi guys, ive applied for an access to science course for this september, got an interview at the end of this month.

Can anyone tell me how the course is structured with credits etc and if it's exam/coursework based. I have literally no idea, please help!
Original post by EMC06
Hi guys, ive applied for an access to science course for this september, got an interview at the end of this month.

Can anyone tell me how the course is structured with credits etc and if it's exam/coursework based. I have literally no idea, please help!

Hi ya!

The courses have 60 credits. In my college the course has 45 level 3 credits and 15 level 2 credits. We have been told that we will be given the opportunity to do more than 45 level 3 credits, however I can't say I am sure about it. What I know is that you need 60 credits to pass.

I would advise you to check with the unis you are interested in what are their entry requirements (some universities have this info on their website).

There are essays, exams and apparently there will also be at least a presentation.

Don't panic, it seems a lot, and perhaps it is really a lot, but you'll be fine. :wink:

I have just started last January so I can't tell you much about my own experience, but so far I love it. :biggrin:
Original post by EMC06

The college website should cover that. I would expect the interviewer to expect you to be familiar with its content as a minimum.
Hi ya!

The courses have 60 credits. In my college the course has 45 level 3 credits and 15 level 2 credits. We have been told that we will be given the opportunity to do more than 45 level 3 credits, however I can't say I am sure about it. What I know is that you need 60 credits to pass.

I would advise you to check with the unis you are interested in what are their entry requirements (some universities have this info on their website).

There are essays, exams and apparently there will also be at least a presentation.

Don't panic, it seems a lot, and perhaps it is really a lot, but you'll be fine. :wink:

I have just started last January so I can't tell you much about my own experience, but so far I love it. :biggrin:

I agree with ilovelabradors dont stress yourself out too much and enjoy the access course experience.I would also suggest as evening sunrise has stated to check with the concerned college website or talk to the relevant staff member at the college concerning the course you want to do.At our college we do a maxmium of 54 level 3 credits which are graded and only 6 credits at level 2.It still gives us 60 credits in total.
Original post by evening sunrise
The college website should cover that. I would expect the interviewer to expect you to be familiar with its content as a minimum.

Not necessarily. On my College website there is no such info. Sowhen I went to the interview I had no idea about the Access course content. However, I tried to get as much info as I possibly could, like checking in my preferred uni choice what are the requirements. So, I knew my preferred uni wants me to get 30 level 3 at merit. It sort of shows we care and are aware of what we are going into. :smile:

However, some people in my course have no idea of what they want to study and there are some others that despite wanting to do a certain degree they can't be bothered to check what the requirements are. :eek:

Some of us seem to panic too much and others just don't bloody care... :s-smilie:
Not necessarily. On my College website there is no such info.

I am speechless. I cannot fathom why any vendor would not specify the product they want to sell to their customers. Unless.......

However, some people in my course have no idea of what they want to study and there are some others that despite wanting to do a certain degree they can't be bothered to check what the requirements are. :eek:

Hmmm, I would have said that some vision of where you are going and hence the prognosis, is essential to success, its a motivation aid when things get a bit tricky. I can understand that final decision on which which particular flavour of degree e.g. Physics with Geophysics or Geophysics with Oceanography or Geophysics with planetary Science to apply for often comes much later in the process, even at the point of application. But even then one of the above may mandate L3 chemistry and another may not.

Not knowing what the requirements are when choosing your route, whether A levels or Access when one makes that commitment with a specific degree in mind is just plain, censored, as their are ladies present in the forum.
I am speechless. I cannot fathom why any vendor would not specify the product they want to sell to their customers. Unless.......

Hmmm, I would have said that some vision of where you are going and hence the prognosis, is essential to success, its a motivation aid when things get a bit tricky. I can understand that final decision on which which particular flavour of degree e.g. Physics with Geophysics or Geophysics with Oceanography or Geophysics with planetary Science to apply for often comes much later in the process, even at the point of application. But even then one of the above may mandate L3 chemistry and another may not.

Not knowing what the requirements are when choosing your route, whether A levels or Access when one makes that commitment with a specific degree in mind is just plain, censored, as their are ladies present in the forum.

It's like I said, some people panic and other people don't bother. I have been extremely punctual, always bring all the necessary materials with me and have never missed a class. Some people arrive to the lesson 30 minutes later, can't be bothered to bring the materials and some people miss a whole week of lessons, come radomly to college the next neek only to disappear for one or two more weeks. :eek:

Sometimes group work gets compromised... and our course has only started last January! If people are already behaving like this.... Oh boy.... :s-smilie:
Reply 93

I didn't really know much about my course before I started. I had asked about credits and some figures were mentioned but at the time I didn't know what they meant. I knew the course involved three sciences but didn't know I'd also have Maths, IT and study skills until I got my timetable on day 1. I doubt they were deliberately vague, some people on my course are still struggling to get their heads around how the modules, units and credits work so maybe colleges think that the information is beyond most applicants and isn't worth explaining. Remember that people on tsr tend to have educated themselves about what is involved by reading the forums and asking questions, the ones that haven't found their way here don't understand/don't care/don't think they need to know. Our college has about 9 applicants for every place so doesn't need to 'sell' anything, for me knowing that they had good progression routes with the uni of my choice and that most years nearly everyone gets onto their chosen degree was enough for me.

Some people arrive to the lesson 30 minutes later, can't be bothered to bring the materials and some people miss a whole week of lessons, come radomly to college the next neek only to disappear for one or two more weeks. :eek:
If people are already behaving like this.... Oh boy.... :s-smilie:

It's the same on my course. Don't worry about them, just get yourself through. I find having a couple of study partners help, then if one of you can't make a lesson your partner collects notes for you and fills you in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jami74
I didn't really know much about my course before I started. I had asked about credits and some figures were mentioned but at the time I didn't know what they meant. I knew the course involved three sciences but didn't know I'd also have Maths, IT and study skills until I got my timetable on day 1. I doubt they were deliberately vague, some people on my course are still struggling to get their heads around how the modules, units and credits work so maybe colleges think that the information is beyond most applicants and isn't worth explaining. Remember that people on tsr tend to have educated themselves about what is involved by reading the forums and asking questions, the ones that haven't found their way here don't understand/don't care/don't think they need to know. Our college has about 9 applicants for every place so doesn't need to 'sell' anything, for me knowing that they had good progression routes with the uni of my choice and that most years nearly everyone gets onto their chosen degree was enough for me.

It's the same on my course. Don't worry about them, just get yourself through. I find having a couple of study partners help, then if one of you can't make a lesson your partner collects notes for you and fills you in.

wow, Jami74, I have just noticed you have got 33 distinctions and 4 offers! That is amazing! :smile: What is your secret? :tongue:

I have only handed two assigments in yet, I have got a few more going on, a Psychology one which is due next week and an English one that is due the week after that. I haven't received any of the two assignments I have submitted yet, so I am completely unware of how well or how poorly I am working at the moment. I really hope to receive them soon! How many time does it take normally in your college? :smile:

And yeah, you are right about the other thing. :smile:
Reply 95
wow, Jami74, I have just noticed you have got 33 distinctions and 4 offers! That is amazing! :smile: What is your secret? :tongue:

I have only handed two assigments in yet, I have got a few more going on, a Psychology one which is due next week and an English one that is due the week after that. I haven't received any of the two assignments I have submitted yet, so I am completely unware of how well or how poorly I am working at the moment. I really hope to receive them soon! How many time does it take normally in your college? :smile:

And yeah, you are right about the other thing. :smile:

I'm not sure I have a secret. I try to start assignments as soon as I get them even if we haven't covered everything in class and add to them as we go, that way when we get near to the deadline I already have the bones on paper and just need to flesh it out, if that makes sense.

It usually takes a couple of weeks, sometimes longer. Our teachers have 100+ students so we can't expect them to be quick. I remember how impatient I was to get the first couple of assignments back, now we seem to have so many on the go I've lost track of what I'm waiting to be marked. The waiting is hard but don't worry about the ones that have gone, just concentrate on the ones that you are currently doing. :smile:
Original post by jami74
I'm not sure I have a secret. I try to start assignments as soon as I get them even if we haven't covered everything in class and add to them as we go, that way when we get near to the deadline I already have the bones on paper and just need to flesh it out, if that makes sense.

It usually takes a couple of weeks, sometimes longer. Our teachers have 100+ students so we can't expect them to be quick. I remember how impatient I was to get the first couple of assignments back, now we seem to have so many on the go I've lost track of what I'm waiting to be marked. The waiting is hard but don't worry about the ones that have gone, just concentrate on the ones that you are currently doing. :smile:

Thanks. :wink:
Original post by jami74
I doubt they were deliberately vague, some people on my course are still struggling to get their heads around how the modules, units and credits work so maybe colleges think that the information is beyond most applicants and isn't worth explaining.....ones that haven't found their way here don't understand/don't care/don't think they need to know.

Our college has about 9 applicants for every place so doesn't need to 'sell' anything, for me knowing that they had good progression routes with the uni of my choice and that most years nearly everyone gets onto their chosen degree was enough for me.

Firstly congrats on your results to date.

Then putting any individual colleges to one side.

The rest of the above I am afraid does not bring me any comfort at all. The highlighted aspect being especially distressing at face value. But whilst I sadly believe it is partially true, I believe it could be interpreted in a reciprocal manner, at least partially.

I am very interested to know the following.

For Access and or A levels, self funded

Percentage completing Access / A levels.
Percentage getting offers.
Percentage getting offers at their institution of choice.
Percentage actually starting Uni, indicating they received offers they subsequently met. (I have seen this data by subject)
Percentage completing the degree.

For Access and or A level, state funded

Percentage completing Access / A levels.
Percentage getting offers.
Percentage getting offers at their institution of choice.
Percentage actually starting Uni, indicating they received offers they subsequently met. (I have seen this data by subject)
Percentage completing the degree.

There is a waiting list for new Ferrari's, they still have product and they still sell it and they still inform their potential customers of what they will get if they buy one.

I cannot imagine any circumstance in which I would commit my own funds to something I did not understand the specification of, whether that be a camera, a car or a course of study.
Reply 98
Original post by Kez Adams
Hi all another newbie :biggrin:

Having just passed my maths & english lvl 2 I'm hoping to start access to nursing this Sept @ West Cheshire , and hopefully get in at Chester uni next year to study adult nursing,

I must admit thou I`m pretty nervous about starting college at 34 :eek:
after having a family and caring for my disabled husband.. in a way I`m really looking forward to resuming a part of my life back,

anyone else from the northwest here ??

Hi Kez

Not from NW either but I'm doing the same as you and only a couple of years older. I re-took my Maths and English Lang GCSE's and passed in 2010 and am now hoping to start Health Science Access in Sept with a view to going to uni in Sept 2013. I was really nervous when I went to college, thought I'd be the oldest one there but I wasn't. I met some really nice people.

Anyway good luck, I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Reply 99
Not necessarily. On my College website there is no such info. Sowhen I went to the interview I had no idea about the Access course content. However, I tried to get as much info as I possibly could, like checking in my preferred uni choice what are the requirements. So, I knew my preferred uni wants me to get 30 level 3 at merit. It sort of shows we care and are aware of what we are going into. :smile:

Some of us seem to panic too much and others just don't bloody care... :s-smilie:

thanks for your help! my college doesn't give much information on how it's assessed which is what I was mainly worried about, I've had a look at the uni's i want to apply for so got some idea now. interviews in a week or so :smile:

Quick Reply