The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good Fortune
Just read that the Guardian ranks Peninsula 8th in the UK Med Schools league table. Fantastic achievement! So excited and pleased about my offer!
Good luck if you're still waiting.

For the 2nd year running, and it will probably stay 8th.

Of course the hilarious moment will be if the split goes ahead and both Exeter and Plymouth Medical Schools are ranked joint last due to lack of data.

What a hilarious moment that will be.
Original post by carcinoma
For the 2nd year running, and it will probably stay 8th.

Of course the hilarious moment will be if the split goes ahead and both Exeter and Plymouth Medical Schools are ranked joint last due to lack of data.

What a hilarious moment that will be.

So what happens (providing the split happens)?

We enter Peninsula this year, and then second year we become either Exeter or Plymouth students?

What degree do we get? Peninsula or Exeter/Plymouth?
Original post by Chonicles

We enter Peninsula this year, and then second year we become either Exeter or Plymouth students?

I'm pretty certain we'll stay Peninsula and get a degree from them, the same as previous students.

This is looking ahead quite far but for booking holiday purposes, does anyone know when we'll be moving in and when freshers will be etc? Or has that even been decided yet?
Reply 1383
I have a question to any current students, or anyone in the know.
without getting bogged down in wanton patriotism.
would you say there is any real difference between the standard of teaching you receive at either Exeter or Plymoth, I know there's been alot of arguments before and i've just got this image in my head that Exeter will be really good for studying but with a rubbish social life and Plymoth will be a not so good learning environment but a 24/7 party :P Sure this isnt actually true but rather an accentuation and a bit of a laugh but i don't want to firm until i'm 100% as it'll be about £45000 in fees alone :smile:
Original post by OSharp
I have a question to any current students, or anyone in the know.
without getting bogged down in wanton patriotism.
would you say there is any real difference between the standard of teaching you receive at either Exeter or Plymoth, I know there's been alot of arguments before and i've just got this image in my head that Exeter will be really good for studying but with a rubbish social life and Plymouth will be a not so good learning environment but a 24/7 party :P Sure this isnt actually true but rather an accentuation and a bit of a laugh but i don't want to firm until i'm 100% as it'll be about £45000 in fees alone :smile:

In reality there is very little difference in the teaching that occurs at each site, lectures are delivered telematically (i.e same lecture to both sites), the only real variations are the LSRC and Clinical skills teaching.

The content covered is identical, however it could be argued that Plymouth has marginally better clinical skills teaching, but not enough to change overall outcomes.

Original post by Dandy Lion
I'm pretty certain we'll stay Peninsula and get a degree from them, the same as previous students.

This is looking ahead quite far but for booking holiday purposes, does anyone know when we'll be moving in and when freshers will be etc? Or has that even been decided yet?

Assuming it goes ahead, Which is looking a little up in the air at the moment with all the anger and rejection from students, staff and the doctors.

All 2012 students, along will all current students will remain to be taught identically until 2018 when the last cohort are expected to graduate (including those that resit a year or intercalate), with a joint Exeter and Plymouth University Degree.

The 2013 entry will be for the "new" courses, which essentially is also identical with just a different name. They will be identical from pre-clinical teaching all the way through clinical rotations, which does make us wonder what the point is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Firmed Peninsula!! :woo:
Grades are now sorted :biggrin:
After four rejections last year and a pretty **** gap year this year, it's soo worth it :biggrin:
Reply 1387
Just withdrew from Belfast so i could firm PCMD.

Now its hit me I might be going to med school next year if i get the grades.

:biggrin:
Reply 1388
Original post by OSharp
Just withdrew from Belfast so i could firm PCMD.

Now its hit me I might be going to med school next year if i get the grades.

:biggrin:

Did you have an interview on the 21st of February?
Reply 1389
Original post by Dandy Lion

I rang them yesterday to ask whether is I should have heard anything since I put them as my firm, and also to find out a bit more about start dates, etc. They just said that everyone will get an information pack in my after allocations have been made, so we shouldn't worry about anything until then, because everyone is in the same situation :smile:. On my UCAS, it says that the course starts 1st September, but that seems pretty early to me :/. And I guess moving in times will be different depending upon where you're allocated, I'd just keep any time from the beginning of September free :smile:.
Reply 1390
Original post by myyrh
Did you have an interview on the 21st of February?

Yeah :smile: did you,

I was the lanky blond boy who spilt coke all over the floor :smile:
Original post by LS1994
I rang them yesterday to ask whether is I should have heard anything since I put them as my firm, and also to find out a bit more about start dates, etc. They just said that everyone will get an information pack in my after allocations have been made, so we shouldn't worry about anything until then, because everyone is in the same situation :smile:. On my UCAS, it says that the course starts 1st September, but that seems pretty early to me :/. And I guess moving in times will be different depending upon where you're allocated, I'd just keep any time from the beginning of September free :smile:.

Thanks for sharing the info, was going to ring them up to ask what happens next.
Term start dates for PCMD usually seem to be mid-september (according to my stalking :ninjagirl:)
Applied for student finance and according to them, term starts Sept 17th..
Reply 1392
Original post by OSharp
Yeah :smile: did you,

I was the lanky blond boy who spilt coke all over the floor :smile:

Yeah but I don't remember a coke spill :tongue: you probably were part of the afternoon lot. I was just asking because I thought you were the same guy who I met at My liverpool interview :colondollar:
The 2013 entry will be for the "new" courses, which essentially is also identical with just a different name. They will be identical from pre-clinical teaching all the way through clinical rotations, which does make us wonder what the point is.

Hi there, I'm sure you heard that Exeter has just been accepted into the Russel Group. I doubt very much it gets into the Russel Group without having its own medical school.
Original post by Amalgamation
Hi there, I'm sure you heard that Exeter has just been accepted into the Russel Group. I doubt very much it gets into the Russel Group without having its own medical school.

Yes, having their own medical school was one of the main factors that contributed to their invitation. However many of the medical schools who have been invited do not have their own medical school. York being one, they are in a similar collaboration in HYMS.

However bear in mind that it is only an Invitation, it can be withdrawn, and may still go ahead while keeping PCMD together.

Dividing PCMD will have far more local issues for the NHS, considering the amount of research occurring in the region as a joint venture, the fantastic relationship that PMS has helped to form between the main teaching hospitals in the south west, not to mention all the relationships within primary care. Considering that the local NHS invests 60% of the funding into the medical school, the universities themselves are dependant on the NHS.
Reply 1395
mmm and Durham doesn't have its own medical school either its Joined with Newcastle.

as far as im aware there is no written rule that says a university must have x or y to be in the Russel group. LSE certainly doesn't, Warwick is GEP only, so this isn't exactly a compelling argument. can you tell me Carcinoma is anyone actually in support of this venture, because from what ive heard, students and staff don't seem particularly thrilled about it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1396
Original post by delll
Some people may be aware that PCMD have a fee waiver of £3000, for those with low house hold income. It says only those who "enter higher education for the first time" are eligable. I am sure there are some applicants who are in the first year of a degree course and have applied for PCMD i.e. me. I have got an offer and am planning to drop out, does anyone know whether I may be eligable for this fee waiver.

Thank you

Surely that should be something to give them a call about.
they'd need to know your household income, and the boundaries will almost certainly have changed since last time.
Assuming it goes ahead, Which is looking a little up in the air at the moment with all the anger and rejection from students, staff and the doctors.

All 2012 students, along will all current students will remain to be taught identically until 2018 when the last cohort are expected to graduate (including those that resit a year or intercalate), with a joint Exeter and Plymouth University Degree.

A Peninsula one? I wouldn't really want a degree from an institution that didn't exist anymore!!
Reply 1398
A Peninsula one? I wouldn't really want a degree from an institution that didn't exist anymore!!

That's not what he said, he said a joint degree from Exeter and Plymouth.

and I don't see what difference it makes, the whole reason PCMD is even able to split into two is because it has been more successful than any of the other new schools of medicine.

we'll be like those limited edition pink smarties.

man they where good.
Original post by OSharp
That's not what he said, he said a joint degree from Exeter and Plymouth.

and I don't see what difference it makes, the whole reason PCMD is even able to split into two is because it has been more successful than any of the other new schools of medicine.
we'll be like those limited edition pink smarties.

man they where good.

Which is what makes it all the more insane. Why would anyone take something that isn't broken and smash it in half, in an attempt to fix it?

Yes, the degrees Peninsula graduates have and will continue to be awarded is a joint degree from both the University of Exeter and Plymouth.

i.e BMBS from University of Exeter and Plymouth.

While being limited edition may seem like a good consolation prize in reality its not that much of a positive thing.

Yes while it will be irrelevant for FY1 applications, but our medical school will appear on future applications, (ST and on) and in reality we do not know what impact having graduated from a medical school which no longer exists will have on the people reading our applications.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply