The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
my mistake :tongue:

well, just playing devils advocate here, but they could naturally argue the exact reverse of that could they not? as it is simply opinion and all :rolleyes:
Original post by cl_steele

well, just playing devils advocate here, but they could naturally argue the exact reverse of that could they not? as it is simply opinion and all :rolleyes:

Except that the opinion that gay people should be allowed to adopt has a basis in the scientific research which supports the idea that they do not make worse parents.
The point is with someone's opinion is that it's usually based on something (often ignorance or prejudice if it's anti-gay, at least in my personal experience). If you are able to refute their basis for their opinion, then they have no reason to hold that opinion. That is what we try to do in a debate.
Reply 42
Original post by cl_steele

Exact reverse being why SHOULD gay people be allowed to adopt? For the exact same reasons that hetrosexual couples are allowed to adopt.
Reply 43
People who are saying YES are fooling themselves! Are you honestly saying you'd be perfectly happy to have two gay parents? No you wouldn't. You'd be scared of being bullied and the reaction you'd get from your peers. It shouldn't be allowed to protect the child!
Original post by TB.93
People who are saying YES are fooling themselves! Are you honestly saying you'd be perfectly happy to have two gay parents? No you wouldn't. You'd be scared of being bullied and the reaction you'd get from your peers. It shouldn't be allowed to protect the child!

I have straight parents. So does my brother (the same ones, actually). We were both bullied anyway. He was bullied so bad they pulled him out of school.
My mum's friend is a lesbian. Her son was never bullied because he had two mums.
If you don't allow people to adopt children because they may get bullied, no children would ever get adopted.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by TB.93

Children of divorced and single parents might be bullied, we should just outlaw divorce.

We shouldn't let disabled people adopt children either, they might get bullied. Fat people aswell, their kids might get bullied too.

Incase anyone is confused, i'm being sarcastic.
Reply 46
Original post by TB.93

Kids get bullied for all sorts of things, lots can be to do with their parents. They can be bullied for being poor, bullied for their parents personal lives, all sorts, shall we ban those things ... whatever they are too?

If we allow gay marriage (through reigistry commisions, not through religious institutions, to force churches/mosques/synagogues to do something which contradicts their property rights is highly illiberal), then it is a step in sorting out the prejudices people have.

I can't tell if you are against gay marriage because you have prejudiced views towards them, or beacuse you are one of these hypocritical ultra PC people that want to surround kids in a protective bubble, hmmm, this seems like another form of positive discrimination, but its not of the progressive kind, its a sort of englandeer, status-quo supporting trend, in which everyone has to behave accordingly and no one gets offended.
If we were a more racist country, and children brought up by mixed-race parents could get bullied, would you be against mixed-race couples having children?

My personal view is that ending homophobia has to start somewhere. We have got to the point that homosexuality is largely socially acceptable. Hell, even the Tory PM supports gay marriage. I think it's time to fully integrate homosexuals into society, and a few extra children will get bullied as 'collateral damage'. However, they will have parents! Which will help them significantly over the alternative of no parents. This will help to end the stigma, and afterwards so many less children will get bullied. To not allow them to adopt would be to lengthen the stigma.
Original post by Scienceisgood
*Just to let you all know, I AM GAY myself*

Well, we all know there is a controversy as to whether or not gay people should be allowed to adopt because of the typical theme of one of the other;

1. Bullying
2. Not having a male/female role model (Whether gay or lesbian couple)
3. The typical "Without a role model of the same gender, they may become gay themselves"

I can personally say number 3 isn't true, I was raised in a heterosexual household and I can say I just don't find the opposite gender attractive.

Personally, since I am unlikely to have kids, I would like to adopt, but, I would obviously ask the kid if they wanted to be adopted by a same sex couple because it could get a bit awkward for them.

However, there are many kids out there born and are not wanted or their parents are unfit to be their guardians. So, I think if I become a man with a stable income in the future, I would like to adopt because I could provide a home for a child.

What do you think?

I have something else to add that others may want to question. What if the biological father (for example) of the child is bi and his partner wants to adopt and become a step-parent?
Original post by Anna150
Children of divorced and single parents might be bullied, we should just outlaw divorce.

We shouldn't let disabled people adopt children either, they might get bullied. Fat people aswell, their kids might get bullied too.

Incase anything is confused, i'm being sarcastic.

Ginger parents.
Agreement with the fat parents.
Any parent who has a less than favourable job: such as a bin man.
Genuine reasons why people were bullied in my school. Ban these people from adopting?

Joining your sarcasm.
Reply 50
Original post by minimarshmallow
Ginger parents.
Agreement with the fat parents.
Any parent who has a less than favourable job: such as a bin man.
Genuine reasons why people were bullied in my school. Ban these people from adopting?

Joining your sarcasm.

Parents who give you hand-me-downs instead of brand new designer clothes.
Parents who do embarrasing dances.
Parents who try and friend request you on facebook.

All banned from adopting. This is fun!
I wouldn't mind homosexual parents but.. if I had a gay flamboyant Dad I'd hate it.
Original post by Anna150
Parents who give you hand-me-downs instead of brand new designer clothes.
Parents who do embarrasing dances.
Parents who try and friend request you on facebook.

All banned from adopting. This is fun!

Damn, I've ran out of rep.

Parents who buy reduced foods.
Parents who prefer small, cheap cars.
Parents who can't use a mobile phone.
Original post by Miracle Day
I wouldn't mind homosexual parents but.. if I had a gay flamboyant Dad I'd hate it.

Well that's a personality trait that is often found with but has no direct relation to homosexuality. I know straight dads (of other people, mine isn't) who are flamboyant and embarrass their children out in public.
Example, if Michael McIntyre wasn't famous, but he was your dad, would you hate that? Let's be honest, he's pretty 'flamboyant'.
Well, all 3 of the points you suggest would be equally true of a child growing up in a care home, but with the addition of the psychological problems associated with institutionalized care.

If they are willing to adopt, by all means let them, we have too many children in need of families to let pointless prejudices get in the way.
Reply 55
Research? Give me evidence of your claims. Of course I've stated a personal opinion, it's as valid as anyone's. It's not biased, it's different to your's and that is why you claim it is. For it not to be biased and homophobic do I just have to say how much I appreciate homosexuals and how they should be able to adopt?

Give me a break, bull**** thread.
If one more person mentions bloody role models again today… I mean, that's what TV's for!

The way I see it: we have positive people in our life and we have negative people. We should surround ourselves with loving people and good values, and it really doesn't matter who they are.

I don't see my dad and I've turned out okay. To be honest, I don't have any male (dare I say it…) 'role models' in my life. My mum isn't the best 'role model' either. She's a single economically inactive mum of two and tells me there's no point in exams and I need to stop revising and get a life. I love her, but I'm not gunna end up like her.
BASICALLY, my point is, the whole argument is flawed and simply stupid.
Reply 57
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

After battling with my Christian side i say yes "treat others as you would like to be treated"
Yeah they should.

As for point 1 - people get bullied for all sorts of reasons. Being ginger, fat, skinny, smart, black etc... its not a convincing enough reason to bar gay people from adopting kids. Its the bully; not the bullied that have the issues.
Original post by Zalachenko
Research? Give me evidence of your claims. Of course I've stated a personal opinion, it's as valid as anyone's. It's not biased, it's different to your's and that is why you claim it is. For it not to be biased and homophobic do I just have to say how much I appreciate homosexuals and how they should be able to adopt?

Give me a break, bull**** thread.

NYU2012 has given you the evidence.
Your opinion goes against science, therefore I see no logical reason for you to hold it. I have not said you are homophobic, not yet anyway.
If you look at the evidence presented by NYU2012 (and basic psychology) and then still hold your belief without giving any counter-evidence that is at least as convincing, I am fully entitled to call you a bigot and/or a homophobe.

Latest

Trending

Trending