The Student Room Group

Taichi or Wushu?

I am a newbie but I want to do one of these two. Taichi looks good but seems a bit boring (do they have sparring in tai chi?) on the other hand wushu looks so cool (Jet Li) but I am guessing it must be so physically demanding that I will die in my first class. So people with experience in any of these two, which one would you do?
Original post by Chronist
I am a newbie but I want to do one of these two. Taichi looks good but seems a bit boring (do they have sparring in tai chi?) on the other hand wushu looks so cool (Jet Li) but I am guessing it must be so physically demanding that I will die in my first class. So people with experience in any of these two, which one would you do?

Wu shu is the genric term for chinese 'martial arts' though in modern times is more commonly used for the demonstration style of competiton of forms and 'katas', no real live fighting or combat techniques. .
it is effectively gymnastics based on martial arts, so if you are not acrobat standard athlete, id suggest tis not for you

Jet Li was a wushu national champion ( looks good in movies) but he also had comabtative training in northern shaolin kung fu

tai chi is a chinese 'meditative' exercise , that involves channelling of energy though control breathng and slow movemnts. Tai chi chuan is the combat form, which ahs use, although i would suggest it takes many decades to actually become effective in it - it was again designed for 80 year old china men to fight with

All depends on what it is you are hoping to achieve
Reply 2
Wushu or wing chun.
Reply 3
Wushu is more competiting and it teach your the lessons of self defense.

Quick Reply