The Student Room Group

Am making a mistake

Am doing bio chem eng and geog .can this subjects
Take me to med or am I making a mistake.
Thanx
Reply 1
If your grammar is as bad as it is in the thread title you won't get far. And yes they should take you to medicine if you do well
Original post by David 1234
Am doing bio chem eng and geog .can this subjects
Take me to med or am I making a mistake.
Thanx

some med schools if not all require at least three sciences with chemistry being mandatory, so i would double check if i were you with where you're looking to apply to see if you meet the criteria.
Reply 3
Yes.

Now all you have to worry about is getting top grades, UKCAT, BMAT and interview :tongue:
Reply 4
Yeah according to my research, they are totally fine. Check universities online and make a list of all the ones you come under. Now just ace your exam! :h:
Yes they are fine

My friend is doing Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A Level and did Maths at AS. He got AAAb. He didn't do very well in his UKCAT but did very well in his BMAT to make up for that. Got rejected from 3 uni's and got an offer from his other choice Liverpool!

But remember, some uni's require 3 sciences while other's require 2.
Reply 6
Phone the admissions offices of your preferred universities. Ask them directly if there are any subjects they particularly look favourably upon. Let that influence your choice. People are right, different unis different requirements. GOOD LUCK!
Reply 7
Original post by StuPro
Phone the admissions offices of your preferred universities. Ask them directly if there are any subjects they particularly look favourably upon. Let that influence your choice. People are right, different unis different requirements. GOOD LUCK!

Why would you phone them when the info can be easily found on their website?
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
Why would you phone them when the info can be easily found on their website?

Minimum academic requirements are often stated, not what additional modules may be considered more suitable than others. It doesn't hurt to hear it from the horses mouth either, or to start trying to build a rapport with your favoured universities.

I am also sure hearing it from the admissions office will put someone's mind at ease more than hearing it here.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by StuPro
Minimum academic requirements are often stated, not what additional modules may be considered more suitable than others. It doesn't hurt to hear it from the horses mouth either, or to start trying to build a rapport with your favoured universities.

I am also sure hearing it from the admissions office will put someone's mind at ease more than hearing it here.

Good luck!

You wouldn't build a rapport by asking stupid questions when the information is easily found elsewhere. If they want applicants to have the information on subjects it will be on their website.

And note I didn't say hearing it here, I said the uni websites.
Reply 10
Original post by Juno
You wouldn't build a rapport by asking stupid questions when the information is easily found elsewhere. If they want applicants to have the information on subjects it will be on their website.

And note I didn't say hearing it here, I said the uni websites.

Seriously, what is your issue? If you notice, contact details for admissions offices are often provided. As I previously stated, more often than not, the minimum academic requirements are stated, nothing more. For example, Law courses often state the points required, but provide no indication of preferred subjects. Are you trying to argue that all subjects are equally valued by the schools?

Perhaps, a conversation could be started somewhat like this,

" Hi, my name is John Smith and I am very interested in applying to x to study medicine. I have been looking at your academic requirements online and was hoping you could clarify some information for me? I see that you require two sciences at A-level which I have selected. But, I was wandering if there were preferred subjects for the third/fourth?

Also, is there anything else that you could recommend to help support my application? I am in my final year of GCSEs at the moment and am just trying to plan ahead!'

Phoning to gain clarity is different to asking obvious questions. Also, UCAS applications are screened without applicant's details. Therefore, there is no potential loss to phoning and asking. Only the chance to gain information that could help an application.

As the OP is here, seeking reassurance, obviously what information has been read already was insufficient to put his/her mind at rest. Therefore, for real peace of mind I have recommending speaking directly to the appropriate people, as they can give a definitive answer.

True story.
Reply 11
Original post by StuPro
Also, UCAS applications are screened without applicant's details.

So how exactly is building a rapport with the university going to help then?

I don't need to say anything else. You've just proved you know nothing and your advice is so bad it doesn't even make sense. If you're going to make things up at least try to keep your story straight.
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
So how exactly is building a rapport with the university going to help then?

I don't need to say anything else. You've just proved you know nothing and your advice is so bad it doesn't even make sense. If you're going to make things up at least try to keep your story straight.

I am not suggesting building rapport will affect the screening of the OP's application.

What I am saying is building a rapport will perhaps help the OP to find out if a particular subject will be looked favourably upon.

Alternatively, if applying to something such as a BM6 course, often, the admissions process is more personal.

You have poor verbal reasoning skills in all honesty. You are taking inferences from my posts that simply aren't there.

If you wish to question my knowledge, I am currently studying at university, have previously taught mathematics in secondary school, am currently the head teacher of a language school and a number of my immediate family are teachers of secondary and further education. My fiance is also a Doctor as are a number of her family and my younger brother has also been through the decision process of A-levels with a view to making an application to med-school. If my advice seems contrary to what may appear sensible to you, I can assure you it is based on experience of the education system and application process for higher education.

I have simply stated that there may be benefit to the OP in speaking directly to the admissions office to which he/she will be applying in order to confirm his choice of A-Level subjects is sufficient or will be viewed favourably. In such a conversation it may be possible to get indications of what may further support an application, indications not featured on websites.

Quite why you take issue with this is beyond me. It is of no benefit to the OP and quite honestly, it is the decision of the OP whether he takes up this advice or not.
Reply 13
So you have what, 3 experiences of helping people get into uni (if that, I doubt you actually helped your fiance and your younger brother hasn't gone yet). I have thousands, if not more. If your experiences make you fantastic at it, what do mine make me?
Reply 14
Again, you are taking an inference from my post that is not there. I have not said I am fantastic, merely refuting your argument that I am lying by demonstrating my advice is based on first hand experience and that of people close to me.

If you are able to invent information from text so easily, I am not surprised a website is sufficient for every question you may have.

Further, you have plucked a figure of 3 from thin air. What would be a correct inference from my post is that as a teacher I have assisted students in application to higher education and served as a referee numerous times. Also, when helping my younger brother I was able to obtain advice from those within the field and currently studying, with first hand experience of the application process. The information for him is just as relevant for the OP. Stating the position of my fiance was in order to demonstrate how close to the people I am that I have obtained this information from. This was clearly in defence of your accusation that I am a liar.

You have stated you have helped thousands, that is really good and well done for being so generous with your time. If you care to recount your direct experience of assisting students applying to medicine and where speaking directly to an admissions office was a hindrance, then please post it for the OP to be able to make an informed decision of which advice he wishes to take, if any. That would be far more useful than accusing someone of lies that has clearly shown his advice is from a sound source.

Quick Reply

Latest