The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pink pineapple
My exams are all over which is good :smile: however I'm a little freaked out about my French exam as I had a sort of mini panic attack in the middle of my exam. It was the listening part of the exam and I just couldn't understand any of it. I got upset and had to go out in my exam as I just couldn't sit there as the exam was getting to me. I calmed down then and got on with the exam however I'm still worried about the entirety of my french exam as I think what with me panicking, I probably dropped quite a few marks plus I want to take French next year to A2 but I'm worried that I may not have a good enough grade at AS to cope with A2 :s-smilie:

Sorry to hear you had a panic attack in your French exam. Please try not to worry about the results. You'll have the option to re do the unit in January if you felt you needed to. Also, I've completed A-level French, so if you need help just ask.
Original post by sunfowers01
Sorry to hear you had a panic attack in your French exam. Please try not to worry about the results. You'll have the option to re do the unit in January if you felt you needed to. Also, I've completed A-level French, so if you need help just ask.

Thakyou, I'll PM you if I have any trouble
Someone above me has posted their story and i can completely relate to that because i too feel like my anxiety is minor compared to others! Basically for me i mainly feel anxious about..

- My health, i always get paranoid about having some sort of horrible disease/cancer whatever and get paranoid that my life is gonna end.. sorry if this is too much information but i once got paranoid i had like bowel cancer and was going to die but really i just had a but of an upset stomach for a few weeks, probably due to my anxiety in the first place. I also google any little symptom i get and it's almost like i'm looking for something to worry about.

- I have this constant fear of like impending doom, not sure if other people have experienced this but i sometimes have like thoughts in my head which i feel other people don't worry about.. e.g what if i cross the road when i go out later and get hit by a car and die/get made disabled? Or what if i get kidnapped?
God i feel so stupid actually writing this all out, i don't think even my closest friends or family know i worry about these things.

-Losing my mind/having a breakdown.. i know this can be a symptom of anxiety, and now that i know i am not in fact losing my mind, i worry a lot less about this. I do sometimes feel a bit spaced out in stressfull/embarrassing situations or sometimes in public and start to panic as i feel like i am going to have a panic attack in public.. but usually it stops and i can think rationally again and say to myself, ok, i'm not going to have a panic attack, calm down.

-People looking at me.. this is only occasional, but sometimes e.g walking through busy shopping center, i feel like i'm kind of on show.. and get paranoid i'm gonna like trip over or something and embarrass myself.

Wow, don't think i have ever written all that down or even told anyone before.
Has anyone had anything similar? Or does anyone know any simple techniques (really don't want to go on medication) that could help me even just a little bit?

I would love to talk to anyone else who has anxiety as i don't know anyone else with it, so please feel free to message me if you want to as well :smile:
Reply 2943
Hey so, I got diagnosed with severe depression & anxiety about 2/3 months ago, although I have been suffering with the disorders for three years now.
I was prescribed 10mg Citalopram but stopped taking it after two boxes as 1) booking a dr's appointment is really long and scary 2) I felt a lot better and situation in my life had changed which enabled me to cope better.

However, I started the first of my final year exams (A2) today and had a panic attack yesterday as a result. I know I need to go back to the doctors but I'm too nervous, I don't really have a regular doctor and I hate having to phone up etc. Do they not understand that this is difficult for people like us? :frown:
Original post by popsicles3
Someone above me has posted their story and i can completely relate to that because i too feel like my anxiety is minor compared to others! Basically for me i mainly feel anxious about..

- My health, i always get paranoid about having some sort of horrible disease/cancer whatever and get paranoid that my life is gonna end.. sorry if this is too much information but i once got paranoid i had like bowel cancer and was going to die but really i just had a but of an upset stomach for a few weeks, probably due to my anxiety in the first place. I also google any little symptom i get and it's almost like i'm looking for something to worry about.

- I have this constant fear of like impending doom, not sure if other people have experienced this but i sometimes have like thoughts in my head which i feel other people don't worry about.. e.g what if i cross the road when i go out later and get hit by a car and die/get made disabled? Or what if i get kidnapped?
God i feel so stupid actually writing this all out, i don't think even my closest friends or family know i worry about these things.

-Losing my mind/having a breakdown.. i know this can be a symptom of anxiety, and now that i know i am not in fact losing my mind, i worry a lot less about this. I do sometimes feel a bit spaced out in stressfull/embarrassing situations or sometimes in public and start to panic as i feel like i am going to have a panic attack in public.. but usually it stops and i can think rationally again and say to myself, ok, i'm not going to have a panic attack, calm down.

-People looking at me.. this is only occasional, but sometimes e.g walking through busy shopping center, i feel like i'm kind of on show.. and get paranoid i'm gonna like trip over or something and embarrass myself.

Wow, don't think i have ever written all that down or even told anyone before.
Has anyone had anything similar? Or does anyone know any simple techniques (really don't want to go on medication) that could help me even just a little bit?

I would love to talk to anyone else who has anxiety as i don't know anyone else with it, so please feel free to message me if you want to as well :smile:

I can relate too everything you just wrote! as individual things they are easy to shrug off but can be so stressful to deal with everything. I also get severe anxiety when away from both my family and home which is horrible cause it makes me feel like such a baby.
I found CBT really useful for the stuff you described above but for my more severe panic disorder I was put on sertraline. I would definitely recommend talking to a doctor about recieving some CBT or other suitable help.
Original post by rachel0593
I can relate too everything you just wrote! as individual things they are easy to shrug off but can be so stressful to deal with everything. I also get severe anxiety when away from both my family and home which is horrible cause it makes me feel like such a baby.
I found CBT really useful for the stuff you described above but for my more severe panic disorder I was put on sertraline. I would definitely recommend talking to a doctor about recieving some CBT or other suitable help.

Ah i'm not alone! Thanks, yeah i've seen lots of stuff about CBT, i will certainly look into it, it's just annoying becuase a lot of the time i feel no anxiety at all, and i sort of forget how crap it feels until it kind of comes up again.. not this time though :smile:
Ah i'm not alone! Thanks, yeah i've seen lots of stuff about CBT, i will certainly look into it, it's just annoying becuase a lot of the time i feel no anxiety at all, and i sort of forget how crap it feels until it kind of comes up again.. not this time though :smile:

Yeah i kind of kid myself into thinking i'm fine and don't need to do anything.. until I get invited to go on holiday with friends or get accepted to uni and then I freak out.
Hey guys, I'm as tired as ducks and I haven't given in to sleep for nearly 24 hours...

... help.
Original post by K the Failure
Hey guys, I'm as tired as ducks and I haven't given in to sleep for nearly 24 hours...

... help.

No sleep sucks balls.

Personally I can't sleep in the day so my advice would be to prepare to sleep tonight. Have a clean around your bedroom, maybe put clean sheets on. Then have a shower putting clean pyjamas on.

Also eating a hot meal and having a hot chocolate would help, but I know the weather is warm.

Have your window open so there is fresh air, and youre supposed to be cool when you sleep anyway.

Reading a book will tire your eyes but if you put a familiar film on or something like that you could drift off.

The best thing though is to try and relax because you won't sleep if you are all tense and anxious. I once had to convince myself I had slept to get myself to sleep because I was so tired.

What have you tried?
Reply 2949
Hey all, I just thought I would post in here, I am the new moderator in Mental Health. Usually I am found over in the Mental Health Support Society (What was the Depression Society) but I thought I would pop my head around the door and introduce myself :ciao:
Original post by Idle
Hey all, I just thought I would post in here, I am the new moderator in Mental Health. Usually I am found over in the Mental Health Support Society (What was the Depression Society) but I thought I would pop my head around the door and introduce myself :ciao:

Hello! :smile:
Reply 2951
I had major anxiety issues for a while - thought it was depression for a bit because it came and went with periods of crashes and being happy. My pyschologist confirmed it wasn't. Still have what she calls a "low mood" - that is, one that has lasted for about 9 months on and off (I had to count on my fingers).
I'm Natalya btw, 14, and I have mild Aspergers too. Pleased to meet you.
Anyone else feel like their lives have been seriously limited due to anxiety?
I've given up so many talents and opportunities simply because I am afraid of people and feel inadequate and ashamed.
Everything I wanted to do when I was younger, I have refused myself now. Everything I want to do now, I just accept that I can't or won't do it. I've created a shell and feel safe in it.

Seems like I'm sabotaging myself.
Original post by Anonymous
I've given up so many talents and opportunities simply because I am afraid of people and feel inadequate and ashamed.
Everything I wanted to do when I was younger, I have refused myself now. Everything I want to do now, I just accept that I can't or won't do it. I've created a shell and feel safe in it.

Yep :frown: Personally the worst part is knowing that when i meet people they must think i'm boring or quiet or something and wishing i could be more confident.. Or worrying that whatever situation i'm in, i always have a feeling something really bad is definitely going to happen.. even when it never does.

Whatever it is you're not alone!
Yep :frown: Personally the worst part is knowing that when i meet people they must think i'm boring or quiet or something and wishing i could be more confident.. Or worrying that whatever situation i'm in, i always have a feeling something really bad is definitely going to happen.. even when it never does.

Whatever it is you're not alone!

Yeah, understand :frown: Agree, loads are going through similar feelings.

Original post by The Puppet Master
:lurk:

Thought I'd pop in, I have social anxiety - together with depression.

Spoiler

I'm sure you can always develop skills. Now you know you have a good secure set of friends, you shouldn't stress too much about your coursemates. Despite how nervous/anxious you are, just appear relaxed and smile. People are often willing to make new friends, even in your 2nd year.
Hey, thought I'd come and say hello and ask for some advice. I've suffered from depression to varying degrees but recently anxiety has got a massive grip of me and I can't shake it. I've always been quite bad at change and accepting different ideas but over the last month or so the slightest change to plans sends me off on an anxious path and I can't stop it. I also get really anxious about leaving the house (getting slightly better though) and the idea of being out of my house for more than about 3 hours makes me feel sick and on the verge of tears. It's quite rare for me to have a panic attack unless I'm really stressed and tired (and upset) but these last few weeks I've been on the verge of having one every few days. I think tomorrow when I have to go visit relatives and stay over until Sunday evening I might break. I'll be with my parents and they just... can't know.

If someone says something to me, like 'I'm going down town' then I start to panic and my mind races away to all the possibilities, like what if they crash on the way, what if this happens or that happens or something else bad. Some of the more absurd things I get anxious about are zombie attacks (god, that sounds ridiculous out loud) - especially at night, I won't leave the house when it's dark any more - or a terrorist attack. I'm a rational, logical 22 year old but these things bring me to tears and keep me up at night :sad:

I don't even know where to start with sorting this out. What can I do? I don't like leaving the house (I'll go if I can't put up a fight, more likely to go if I don't have to walk; it's scarier if I have to do it myself) so getting over to the doctors will be hard. Plus I'd never know what to say. Depression I can explain, random anxiety I really can't.
*waves* ive only just found this thread...

well i have a few anxieties, and it means i have to get CBT... but the docs dont really know half of it.

there is a fear that my boyfriend is going to get seriously injured... that was sparked by his dad's death. it isnt as bad now, but when it happened i couldnt move n hyperventalated alot if he didnt text for 15 minutes. now its about half an hour, maybe 20 (thats almost a year n a half on)

the worst one... is a loo phobia :/ basically there are two loos in the house, one i think may be faulty n the other is not. the faulty one i used to use and now i jst cant. it blocks every single time n it causes great anxiety even thinking about going there. now its just spread to every loo except for the good loo in our house, coz i think no matter what happens other loos will block (which makes going to uni that bit more scary). (any practical rationing would be nice there :/)

those are the worst anxieties that i have at the moment, although others do come about... like the fear of dogs makes me cry....

hope everyone is ok x
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

definately. there are so many things i could have done, but was too scared to because what i thought might happen. or end up not doing the best because of insomnia or thinking i wont get it.
When I was 15 I was diagnosed with Anxiety and attended Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Classes.

I'm 21 now and think I may have slipped back into it.

Evidence

When trains go past i imagine it hitting some debris on the track with the debris chopping my head off.

I imagine train crashes everytime I get on a train.

I avoid going in the middle of the train in case of a terrorist attack.

I can't stand driving or cycling in busy areas.

I have a granma who is sick and I constantly imagine that every-time the phone rings its the call.

It seems that I not only know what could go wrong I visualize it. Should I seek help?
help

Quick Reply