The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

5 days to Manchester + orientation weeks

Hi guys, I'll leave to Manchester in 5 days for my pre-sessional couse of english which will finish the 7th of September and the 8th I'll come back home until the semester start.

I've just received my orientation guide and I've read that it'll be from the 11th to the 16th of September. Unfortunately I didn't know that, so I would like to know what I'm gonna lost and if you know when usually the semester start. Because, even if I don't remember where, I think I've read that my semester lessons will start around 24th of September. Where can I find this information?
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shotokhan
Hi guys, I'll leave to Manchester in 5 days for my pre-sessional couse of english which will finish the 7th of September and the 8th I'll come back home until the semester start.

I've just received my orientation guide and I've read that it'll be from the 11th to the 16th of September. Unfortunately I didn't know that, so I would like to know what I'm gonna lost and if you know when usually the semester start. Because, even if I don't remember where, I think I've read that my semester lessons will start around 24th of September. Where can I find this information?
Thank you

As you're from another country, you will have pre-sessional English until the 7th, orientation from 11-16th September and Freshers week will start on the 17th. You need to be there for freshers week - not only do you have all your introductory lecturers and course selection, but it's great fun.

Info on orientation is here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/arrival/orientation/

It looks as though you're only going to be going home for a weekend ... is it really worth it?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Aaah, so orientation week and fresher week are two different things? What is the difference?

Is the fresher week the first week of classes? Because I thought that classes would have began the last week of september, in fact I booked the flight back because when accommodation office told me that I have to leave from the room the 8th in the morning I would have around 15 free days.

Sorry but it's not easy to me to get all these things because we don't use to do this in Italy, you're very lucky in UK. Here when you're registered, the university just organise one day for the course presentation and stop, we have to do/discover everything by ourselves (and that's not always a bad thing by the way) :colonhash:
Aaah, so orientation week and fresher week are two different things? What is the difference?

Is the fresher week the first week of classes? Because I thought that classes would have began the last week of september, in fact I booked the flight back because when accommodation office told me that I have to leave from the room the 8th in the morning I would have around 15 free days.

Sorry but it's not easy to me to get all these things because we don't use to do this in Italy, you're very lucky in UK. Here when you're registered, the university just organise one day for the course presentation and stop, we have to do/discover everything by ourselves (and that's not always a bad thing by the way) :colonhash:

Orientation week = welcome to the UK, how to use the NHS, where to do your shopping etc. for international students.
Freshers week = when you get to meet all the people you will be living with, and lots of other people. There is a programme organised by your halls, which essentially involves drinking and nights out every night for a week. There's also a freshers fair where you can join societies and get various free things (pizza, condoms and bottle openers, primarily). There will be some introductory lectures that will help you decide which modules you want to take (if you get a choice), as well as telling you about how to use the library, how to access support etc. Proper lectures start the following week, but you do want to be there for freshers. Both UK and international students do freshers.

Because you will be doing
- Pre-sessional English until 7th September
- Orientation - 11th - 16th September
- Freshers - 17th - 23rd September
you won't really have time to go home (and you'll probably be enjoying yourself so much you wont' want to go home). Could you alter your flights so that you go home for reading week (27th October - 4th November) or Christmas?
Reply 4
You've right, I'd like to stay in Manchester in this period, the problem is the accommodation. I think that office will give me the accommodation for the year after the pre-sessional course of english even whether for postgraduate students it's not guaranteed.
I hope I can alter my flight... for me it would be ok even to pay something to do that, but I think I've to speak with the accommodation office before, just to know when I'll take the room.

Is the reading week a period of beack before the tests?
thank you

OFF TOPIC: will I find a lan cable to connect my pc to hornet or have I to carry it with me from here? I'm going in grosvenor hall for the next 5 weeks.
You've right, I'd like to stay in Manchester in this period, the problem is the accommodation. I think that office will give me the accommodation for the year after the pre-sessional course of english even whether for postgraduate students it's not guaranteed.
I hope I can alter my flight... for me it would be ok even to pay something to do that, but I think I've to speak with the accommodation office before, just to know when I'll take the room.

Is the reading week a period of beack before the tests?
thank you

OFF TOPIC: will I find a lan cable to connect my pc to hornet or have I to carry it with me from here? I'm going in grosvenor hall for the next 5 weeks.

I think it will probably be possible to stay in halls - I know that people are allowed to extend their stay in halls over the summer if they are already living in halls, so it may be possible for you to do that too. If worst comes to worst, you could always just stay in a backpackers hostel for a few nights. I very much doubt that the university would make you do that though.

Reading week is a week with no lectures in the middle of the first semester. Most UK students use it to go home for a few days. Exams happen in January (just after Christmas) and May / June.

I had an ethernet cable left in my room when I moved into halls; I presume this is the same everywhere. If you're worried, and happen to have a spare one, then bring it with you.
is it possible that i bring a wireless router to my room and plug it those ethernet cable, setting up wireless for own use? i intention is for mobile phone use so that i could skype using my phone since i heard that wireless signal is not that strong, btw, i will be living at sycamore court 2nd floor!
Original post by raymondlemon
is it possible that i bring a wireless router to my room and plug it those ethernet cable, setting up wireless for own use? i intention is for mobile phone use so that i could skype using my phone since i heard that wireless signal is not that strong, btw, i will be living at sycamore court 2nd floor!

You're not allowed to set up wireless internet in halls, and they threaten dire consequences for those who do. However, I know people that did just that, and they were never caught.

Do it at your own risk!
Reply 8
I'm starting to love UK's universities... the reading week it's awesome :biggrin:

Actually I don't understand someone cannot set up a wireless net. For example I would like to find a second hand smarthphone there (do you know where can I search?) to use skype for calling in Italy.

Anyway I hope I'll find a cable because I don't have another one in my home right now :frown:
I'm starting to love UK's universities... the reading week it's awesome :biggrin:

Actually I don't understand someone cannot set up a wireless net. For example I would like to find a second hand smarthphone there (do you know where can I search?) to use skype for calling in Italy.

Anyway I hope I'll find a cable because I don't have another one in my home right now :frown:

You can use skype on your laptop via a wired connection in your bedroom. The advantage of a wired connection is that they are (usually) faster. Alternatively, there are wireless connections throughout the academic campus, and at the 'Source' cafe on Fallowfield campus. There are also computer clusters (i.e. computers that any student can use) in several locations on the academic campus, and above reception at Owens Park (Fallowfield).

If you want to buy a second hand smartphone, then ebay.co.uk is a good place to look.

At the very least you will find one in your room when you move into your permanent halls (i.e. the one that you will stay in throughout first year). I don't know if there will be one in any halls that you stay in during your English course / induction. If there isn't one, then talk to reception. Ethernet cables are widely available, and cheap, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=ethernet+cable&_sacat=0

origami bullet is right, through cable, it's faster! anyway, i was just thinking of alternative method, probably we could just plug in the cable into our laptop, and set up private bridged local wireless network for own use, then should be fine!

moreover, use skype on laptop like origami bullet recommended, or, install bluestack software on your laptop to install those android apps, since i think i am gonna use skype, line and whatapps
Reply 11
Original post by raymondlemon
origami bullet is right, through cable, it's faster! anyway, i was just thinking of alternative method, probably we could just plug in the cable into our laptop, and set up private bridged local wireless network for own use, then should be fine!

moreover, use skype on laptop like origami bullet recommended, or, install bluestack software on your laptop to install those android apps, since i think i am gonna use skype, line and whatapps

hmmmmmm I've just read Hornet's T&C at http://hornet.manchester.ac.uk/help-support/terms-conditions-2

14. You must not simultaneously connect more than one computer to the “Data Connection” nor provide access to other users (for example by connecting a cabled or wireless hub, switch or router or a modem to a networked PC). You are also prohibited from setting up or attaching any Wireless Access Point. The “Data Connection” is for the personal educational use of you only. An automatic disconnection will be carried out for all offences.

and according to http://hornet.manchester.ac.uk/get-connected/wireless-information

The penalty for the unauthorised deployment for wireless equipment begins at 56 days disconnection and a £100 reconnection fee, and in aggravated cases may result in the Halls taking disciplinary action against residents which may prevent them from returning to Halls in future.

The heavy penalty seems to be a turn-off for me and I think probably the school could detect number of devices connected to the internet as the MAC addresses can be traced, but if there are seniors out there who had done it before maybe you can share your experience? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hhforever
The heavy penalty seems to be a turn-off for me and I think probably the school could detect number of devices connected to the internet as the MAC addresses can be traced, but if there are seniors out there who had done it before maybe you can share your experience? :biggrin:

One of the neighbouring flats did set up wifi, and they were never caught / punished.

If you really want to, do it at your own risk, but don't come crying to me if it all goes pear shaped!
Reply 13
Ehi guys, I'm arrived in Grosvenor hall. I was and I'm still really tired so today I bought something to the sainsbury near oxford station but I didn't find many things and what I found was expensive. I found an ALDI at 21 minutes by walk from here but I can't find a bus which I can use to reach it, that's the address:
67-71 Market Street
City Centre, Manchester M4 2EA, United Kingdom

Is there a bus that can bring me near? Is there a market as cheaper as ALDI near to me? And eventually, is there a place where can I find latex pillow, pans, exrcise books, pens etc... like an IKEA? Because I see that the IKEA is pretty far away from the city centre!
Thank you
Take any bus you like from the bus stop on the same side of the road as the Domino's Pizza (Wilmslow Road) outside your campus to Manchester city centre.

If you follow Moseley Road east towards Levenshulme railway station and keep going a little further to Stockport Road (A6) then you will find lots of stalls and shops where you could get a good deal on things.
Ehi guys, I'm arrived in Grosvenor hall. I was and I'm still really tired so today I bought something to the sainsbury near oxford station but I didn't find many things and what I found was expensive. I found an ALDI at 21 minutes by walk from here but I can't find a bus which I can use to reach it, that's the address:
67-71 Market Street
City Centre, Manchester M4 2EA, United Kingdom

Is there a bus that can bring me near? Is there a market as cheaper as ALDI near to me? And eventually, is there a place where can I find latex pillow, pans, exrcise books, pens etc... like an IKEA? Because I see that the IKEA is pretty far away from the city centre!
Thank you

Any bus that you catch from Oxford Road (the other side of the road from Grosvenor, going North) will take you to Piccadilly Gardens, which is very close to Market Street. Another option is Lidl, which is on Oxford Road, just past the hospital (going south). There is also a big Asda in Hulme/Moss Side (although you'd have to walk) and a big Sainsburys in Fallowfield (you can get any bus going down Oxford Road, going south, and it will take you there), and that is much cheaper than the one in town.

The area around Market Street is the main shopping area in Manchester. Primark (corner of Market Street and Piccadilly Gardens) sells bedding (including pillows) and clothing. WH Smiths sells a lot of stationery, as does Rymans (which is underneath the University Bridge that goes across Oxford Road).
Reply 16
Thank you man, you really helped me. Do you even know where can I take pots or pans? Because we don't have them in the kitchen and we're using the kitchenware of the chinese guys that were so kind to permit us to use them. I was thinking to reach the IKEA but is at 44 minutes from here (according with google maps).

How much for a normal bus ticket? Because I don't know if it's better to wait after the university registration to get a seasonal ticket in order to take some discount because with a seasonal ticket I don't have to pay any time and the movements would be easily and faster, expecially when I carry bags.
Thanks
Thank you man, you really helped me. Do you even know where can I take pots or pans? Because we don't have them in the kitchen and we're using the kitchenware of the chinese guys that were so kind to permit us to use them. I was thinking to reach the IKEA but is at 44 minutes from here (according with google maps).

How much for a normal bus ticket? Because I don't know if it's better to wait after the university registration to get a seasonal ticket in order to take some discount because with a seasonal ticket I don't have to pay any time and the movements would be easily and faster, expecially when I carry bags.
Thanks

Ikea is a fairly good place to buy pots, pans and other assorted kitchenware. However, Wilkinsons (in the Arndale Centre) is a fairly good alternative.

Personally I would just go on the bus to Ikea, but it is possible to get them to deliver to halls if you don't fancy the trip.

If you are going to be staying in Grosvenor Halls then it won't really be worth buying a bus pass for the year as you can just walk to lectures. I'm assuming here that you won't have a part time job somewhere like the Trafford Centre, or will be involved in any societies that require regular bus trips. Bus passes cost £185 last year (for September - June). I seem to remember that a Magic Bus from Fallowfield to the Students Union was 90p, but I'm not too sure TBH :s-smilie: You can also buy weekly tickets for £7 (Magic Bus along the Oxford Road corridor only, i.e. city centre to Didsbury via uni and Fallowfield), £8 (any Stagecoach / Magic bus along the Oxford Road corridor only) or £11.50 (any Stagecoach bus in Greater Manchester).

Or . . . buy a bike! Manchester is very flat and lends itself well to cycling - and cycling is usually quicker than the bus, and takes you to places that buses don't really go (like Asda in Moss Side). You can easily transport a week's shopping in a set of panniers too. I prefer cycling to the extent that I won't bother buying a bus pass next year.
Reply 18
Wilkinsons is really close to the ALDI where I've been today in Market street, I definitely will go there because I also have to take a pillow and some bath towels.
You've written magic bus... how many kind of buses there are? Anyway I've read somewhere http://www.tfgm.com/ that a one way ticket cost around 2£. I was thinking at the bike too, I used to go with it in the last city where I studied but I don't know where can I buy one, maybe a second hand bike. Do you know where can I search?

I'm searching also for a place where I can take a rucksack/schoolbag because I left mine in Italy.
thank you

P.S.
what does it mean TBH before the emoticons that you've posted? :confused: :biggrin:
Wilkinsons is really close to the ALDI where I've been today in Market street, I definitely will go there because I also have to take a pillow and some bath towels.
You've written magic bus... how many kind of buses there are? Anyway I've read somewhere http://www.tfgm.com/ that a one way ticket cost around 2£. I was thinking at the bike too, I used to go with it in the last city where I studied but I don't know where can I buy one, maybe a second hand bike. Do you know where can I search?

I'm searching also for a place where I can take a rucksack/schoolbag because I left mine in Italy.
thank you

P.S.
what does it mean TBH before the emoticons that you've posted? :confused: :biggrin:

Lots of different bus companies! Magic Bus is owned by Stagecoach, but there's also Finglands, First, Bluebird and Arriva. The biggest bus company, however, is Stagecoach. All that really changes is the colour of the bus, and the fact that you can't use a bus ticket from one company on another company's bus (e.g. can't use a Stagecoach pass on a Finglands bus). Stagecoach / Magic Bus and Finglands are the only companies that serve your bus route in any major way.

The price of a bus ticket depends on how far you go, and what bus company you use. These things are not simple!

For second hand bikes, try
- Biko Bikes - part of the Students Union, it fixes up old bikes and rents them for £1 a week to students. Go quickly, though, because they never have enough to meet demand.
- Gumtree.com
- Ebay (obviously view it before you buy; caveat emptor)
- Goinggoingbike.com
- http://www.bicycleboutiquemcr.co.uk/
- http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/index.html (possibly)

For new bikes, Edinburgh Bike Co-op is very nice but a little pricey.

I'd suggest having a good look around the Arndale Centre for a bag - there are lots of shops there which sell bags.

PS you need to say "do you know where I can buy a rucksack" because saying "take" instead of "buy" means that you are going to steal it!

Quick Reply

Latest