The Student Room Group

UCL medicine 2013 entry

Anybody else applying to UCL? I most certainly am! Love everything about UCL. Love the buildings (cruciform looks amazing, lovely view of bloomsbury campus from there), love the course (dissection and Bsc year), great hospitals (UCLH on your doorstep), love the location, love everything!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone get a deferred entry offer(2013)to UCL medical school? Its my firm choice. Or anyone thinking of applying for 2013 entry?
Reply 2
This is a thread for anyone who is applying to UCl for 2013 entry or has a deferred entry offer. So feel free to post any queries.
Reply 3
A bit early don't you think?
Reply 4
Original post by oli_G
A bit early don't you think?

I'm posting a bit late. :redface:

I would've thought so, but given that there's already a Cambridge 2013 Medicine stalking page, nothing's too early now, I guess! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Another UCL Medic Hopeful here:biggrin:
I really like the sounds of UCL and I'll probably be applying there.. but I didn't get to go to the open day; could someone who went tell me what it was like?
I have a deferred offer for UCL medicine, it's my firm too :h: kind of hoping I get my results and then they offer me a place for this year... really want to go this year, don't think it's too likely though :frown:
Hey everyone - I too, am hoping to apply to UCL.
I couldn't go to the Open Day, but is there anyone who can answer the following questions for me please?

1) What kind of GCSE grades do successful applicants possess?
2)When would be best to start preparing for the BMAT?
3) What does UCL's Medicine course consist of - I know there is the intercalated degree, but what year do students start getting clinical experience?
4) Do they do full anatomy dissections? (Please say yes!)

Thank you kindly.
Reply 9
what as grades do you need to apply for medcine at ucl... :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Hi guys,

I am really struggling to differentiate between UCL, King's and Imperial for medicine. They all seem really good, but could someone point out some major differences as I definitely want to apply to a london university to read medicine but I am not sure which one. I think they all offer cadaveric dissections, have really good facilities, have opportunity to intercalate, good accomodation (Imperial is slightly more expensive).

The key factors I am looking for are:
-lecture based and strong emphasis on science in early years
-limited patient contact
-elective opportunity
-tutorial opportunities
-SSCs

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by emerald13
what as grades do you need to apply for medcine at ucl... :s-smilie:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements
Reply 12
They're asking for actual AS grades :eek:
Reply 13
Hey yeah I'm applying to hopefully and it's such a great location agreed! :smile:

What did you get for your AS results?

and does anyone know what UCL mean about their disapproval or resits? does that mean they don't allow people who have done a resit in a module of a subject i.e. resitting a january unit exam in june?
Reply 14
Original post by NaimR
Hey yeah I'm applying to hopefully and it's such a great location agreed! :smile:

What did you get for your AS results?

and does anyone know what UCL mean about their disapproval or resits? does that mean they don't allow people who have done a resit in a module of a subject i.e. resitting a january unit exam in june?

I got AAAA in Bio, chem, maths and physics

I read that they say you can resit a jan unit in june, but say that you may struggle with their course since you sit all your exams at the end of year at UCL
If anybody has any questions about UCL, UCLMS, the course structure (and comparisons to other medical schools), applying, living in London, expenses etc. etc. feel free to contact me. If you think your question would serve public benefit, please quote me in this thread so others can read my response - however I do reply to PMs too. Feel free to ask about pros/cons too, I'll be frankly honest and impartial.

I'll be starting 2nd year of medicine in September and will be on the new curriculum and shall be applying for my iBSc this year too.
Reply 16
Ah well done atomicman! I got 4A's aswell! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by purplefrog
If anybody has any questions about UCL, UCLMS, the course structure (and comparisons to other medical schools), applying, living in London, expenses etc. etc. feel free to contact me. If you think your question would serve public benefit, please quote me in this thread so others can read my response - however I do reply to PMs too. Feel free to ask about pros/cons too, I'll be frankly honest and impartial.

I'll be starting 2nd year of medicine in September and will be on the new curriculum and shall be applying for my iBSc this year too.

Hi purplefrog, I know that UCL look at AS levels but is it true that after you have applied to them, they will contact your school to ask for UMS scores of the results of your 4 subjects?
subscribed :colone:
Original post by NaimR
Hi purplefrog, I know that UCL look at AS levels but is it true that after you have applied to them, they will contact your school to ask for UMS scores of the results of your 4 subjects?

They didn't for the year I applied. However there is indication they might do so from now on based on this post onwards. They have yet to make this standard policy though as I've not seen it printed in any of their admissions documents sayings they'll universally do so for every applicant.