The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

lol, fair enough, IMO judo is more demanding than TKD, worth a try
Why what do u do. Every one says how hard it is. Don't you trip people up?
It was just a shoulder injury from a young horse getting a bit bargy...fine now! Should be going tmorrow!
The school I go to is owned by Steve Thompson whose a 5 time European champion and a 3 time world champion. And im trained by Remi Ashton who is a 2 or 3 time European champion! Good fun though with not too much pressure. Mr Ashton gives out his first ever black belt to the white belt students he thinks is showing a black belt attitude!
Yeah, in judo your basically just trying to score an "ippon" or a full point. From a standing position you can do this by tripping your opponent up so they fall cleanly onto their back or you can throw them. Either way, as long as they fall with considerable speed and most, if not all, of their back hits the mat. It is harder than it sounds though ^o)
Hey,
I'm a huge Martial arts fan and have been from a young age. I am more into Wushu than Japanese or Korean styles. I have done Karate and Tae Kwon Do, but in the end I found that I prefered to the Chinese styles of Martial arts. I would still like try out Jujitsu or maybe some Japanese weapon styles like Iaido or Kenjutsu. Currently I am training in the art of Hung Gar and Tai Chi, although I also do Straight sword style. I REALLY want to learn Crane Style or Seven star mantis boxing, but I haven't found anything encougaging in my area. Is Jujitsu any good?
Reply 45
Good stuff :biggrin:.. welcome in :smile:
Reply 46
Apart from excessive muscle strain and body ache, my mock grading went well and hopefully so does the real thing :smile:
Cool then, trip a few up for me as if they are my worse enemies then :smile:
hey,do you learn many finger locks in ju jitsu? and are you allowed to strike in contests?
Reply 49
little_woozie
hey,do you learn many finger locks in ju jitsu? and are you allowed to strike in contests?

they are called Arm locks and wrist locks in jitsu I think and yeah we are allowed to use them.. In the Jitsu nationals; strikes are allowed but the whole point usually is that Uke (attacker) strikes Tori (defender) who then moves out of the way of the strike and performs an armlock/wristlock or hip throw or whatever the case may be..
Reply 50
LauraWalker
Cool then, trip a few up for me as if they are my worse enemies then :smile:

It is SOOOO much more complicated than tripping people up :rofl:...

Check out this website --->http://judoinfo.com/animate.htm

it contains almost all the Judo throws and we do those throws in jitsu as well; slightly different but almost the same thing nonehteless
Reply 51
O Goshi and Koshi Guruma are my winning favs; followed by Ippon seo Nage and Seoi toshi :cool:
I find in judo fights that it is a lot easier to score by tripping rather than throwing. Most of the throws are hard to perform and land successfully, but i guess this is down to timing and skill, aswell as linking them into combinations. Anyway, I think it is more practical and probably easier to trip with an osoto gari or similar. Groundwork is good too, love the armlocks, kinda makes me want to learn ju jitsu...
even better dimexi, work your magic on them then :wink:

Also a lad from taekwondo gave up Judo because he said he got bored with getting no where fast. Our local club is really good, they are winning medals at top events and representing GB.
Reply 54
Hey all. Glad to see so many karate people around!
I started practising Gojuryu karate in 2001 and I'm now a 1st dan :smile:
Reply 55
I started Martial Arts in self defence class a couple of weeks ago, its real good! plus i can use it on my brothers when they peev me off :wink:
Reply 56
LauraWalker
even better dimexi, work your magic on them then :wink:

Also a lad from taekwondo gave up Judo because he said he got bored with getting no where fast. Our local club is really good, they are winning medals at top events and representing GB.
ah good stuff :smile:....

I will definitely use up all my hip throws on them :biggrin:...

Judo and Ju jitsu are very hard to attain a first Dan in and I think that should be respected; it means they are not one of the "easy" ones...
Reply 57
little_woozie
I find in judo fights that it is a lot easier to score by tripping rather than throwing. Most of the throws are hard to perform and land successfully, but i guess this is down to timing and skill, aswell as linking them into combinations. Anyway, I think it is more practical and probably easier to trip with an osoto gari or similar. Groundwork is good too, love the armlocks, kinda makes me want to learn ju jitsu...
That's the reason why we do breakfalling in jitsu and I believe they do it in judo as well :biggrin: so when you get thrown you can land properly...

I don't understand how you can trip people with these throws except o soto gari and o so to gaki like you said.. I just love the sport 'cos it requires skill and technique and it really requires the momentum of the opponent..that's why we use attacks and defences in jitsu as opposed to throwing someone from a standing position which would be extremely difficult if they were way heavier than you
Reply 58
Humra
I started Martial Arts in self defence class a couple of weeks ago, its real good! plus i can use it on my brothers when they peev me off :wink:

What's it called?
Reply 59
dimexi
What's it called?

we just call it Martial Arts, coz technically it is, but we are just learning it in a form of self defence.

Quick Reply

Latest