The Student Room Group

What's an NVQ2 worth?

see title
I've been given a chance to do a 6 week NVQ (I think it's level 2) course in Business Admin for free this summer. The question is, is it worth spending the hottest part of summer cooped up in a college for this qualification? I already have A-levels and will be starting uni in october.
what do people think?

cheers
GH :smile:
Reply 1
If you want to go into business it would look good, as they're more vocational. But they're usually regarded as being the same as 5 GCSE's at A-C, so not really worth it just for the qualification.

But as it's free, you might as well do it, unless you have better plans! "I did an NVQ" is better than "I did nothing"
Reply 2
Juno
If you want to go into business it would look good, as they're more vocational. But they're usually regarded as being the same as 5 GCSE's at A-C, so not really worth it just for the qualification.
do you mean one NVQ is regarded as 5 GCSEs (!?) or 5 NVQs are regarded as 5 GCSEs??? :confused:
Reply 3
One NVQ2 is the same as 5 GCSEsat A-C. I think an NVQ (without the 2) is the same as lower GCSEs
Reply 4
Juno
One NVQ2 is the same as 5 GCSEsat A-C. I think an NVQ (without the 2) is the same as lower GCSEs
thanks, I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find an official explanation of NVQs and the like?
I've googled and looked on wikipedia without much success
Reply 5
There are five levels of NVQ:

* Level 1 = 5 GCSEs at grades D-G
* Level 2 = 5 GCSEs at grades A-C
* Level 3 = 2 A levels/1 vocational A level
* Level 4/5 = HNC, HND and degree level

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/youngpeople/aboutapprenticeships/completinganapprenticeship/
Reply 6
mattd123
There are five levels of NVQ:

* Level 1 = 5 GCSEs at grades D-G
* Level 2 = 5 GCSEs at grades A-C
* Level 3 = 2 A levels/1 vocational A level
* Level 4/5 = HNC, HND and degree level

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/youngpeople/aboutapprenticeships/completinganapprenticeship/
thanks
it doesn't seem quite possible to gain something equivalent to GCSEs in 6 weeks :confused: anyone know how that works?
Reply 7
gianthead
thanks
it doesn't seem quite possible to gain something equivalent to GCSEs in 6 weeks :confused: anyone know how that works?

Presumably it's only available to people whom they think are good enough. Once you've got any study skills and exam technique, you can apply that to anything.

Also, it will probably be very intense. There's a range of books that say they teach A Level or GCSE in a week, and the idea is they only cover the minimum needed to pass, and that you do a lot of study in the time.
I left school at 16 with 4 GCSE's A-C including maths and English (not great i know:rolleyes: )

I wasn't able to attend the school sixth form due to my grades, so i decided to enroll at a local college to do an NVQ 2 in computer networking.

It was offered as a one year course sep-may (approx) so it does seem strange that yours is only 6 weeks, with this course there was also a ÂŁ50 a week training allowance, and a precourse that had to be done a few weeks before the NVQ 2 started called a City and guilds that covered the basics in computing.

I did not finish the course becuase i didn't enjoy it and thought it wasn't run too well, so decided to enroll at another college to do A levels.

I think unless the NVQ is relevant to your future career it might be better to work over the summer so that you have some working experience to put on your CV and earn quite a good wage, remember there are hidden costs with study such as tarnsport costs meals etc that will need to be paid for that may reduce what you have for uni.
Reply 9
andrewjh009
I left school at 16 with 4 GCSE's A-C including maths and English (not great i know:rolleyes: ).
That's not so bad I only sat 3 GCSEs (got 2As and a C) and had to teach myself my A-levels
andrewjh009
I think unless the NVQ is relevant to your future career it might be better to work over the summer so that you have some working experience to put on your CV and earn quite a good wage, remember there are hidden costs with study such as tarnsport costs meals etc that will need to be paid for that may reduce what you have for uni.
I have worked before, but I've found it almost impossible to get a job in last 12 months (turned down by even tesco and mcdonalds). I would work if I could, but I don't want my summer to be a series of hot interviews. :frown:
the travel and meals won't cost me anything if I'm on the course