The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 1
a low 2.1 [average of 60-62] ~ 3.0 GPA
a high 2.1. [average 67-69] ~ 3.7/3.8 GPA

if you're thinking of applying for any of the more competitive courses it's safe to say that the minimum requirement will be a 3.6 and for some even higher.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
nak
OP
hey,

thanks for your help. I actually already applied to LSE and am awaiting a response - the only reason I asked is that I got a conditional offer from Warwick, with the condition being that I obtain a "upper second class degree or equivalent", and I was just wondering how low my grades can fall this term for me to still be accepted. From your post, Im assuming that as long as i finish with above a 3.0 im ok?

thanks.
Reply 3
i think you should be fine but i would call them up and ask them what they hold to be its equivalent in terms of GPA.

good luck
Reply 4
Nak,

from what university are you and what program are you applying for?

I am from Montreal and thinking of applying at LSE in the future (2 years). I would like to know what are your grades/background, if you do not find this too offensive. Just want to have some pointers...

regards.
Reply 5
Reply 6
Dunno if this snippet of info is of any use...

I have a friend who couldn't apply to UK med schools (5 year degrees) as a graduate as her GPA is 3.5 - UK med schools seem to want a 2i or a GPA of 3.6. for grads applying to traditional courses.

I guess it depends what you want to do though....
Reply 7
nak
OP
jfchaput
Nak,

from what university are you and what program are you applying for?

I am from Montreal and thinking of applying at LSE in the future (2 years). I would like to know what are your grades/background, if you do not find this too offensive. Just want to have some pointers...

regards.

Hey,

I am currently studying at McGill University and am about to graduate with a Bachelors of Commerce with a Major in Finance, a minor in Mathematics and a minor in Economics. GPA (3.4/4.0) I have no work experience, but I have worked two summer internships in investment banking, and am currently a Research Assistant for a Financial Derviatives Professor. Extra-curriculars: Varsity Squash Captain for a year, and played on the team for 3 years. Ex-executive for the international student network here and was an active member at some other student clubs. I reckon that my grades are a little too low for LSE, altho I hope my extra-curriculars, course-load etc. make up for it! Good luck on applying. Where and what are you studying by the way?
Reply 8
nak
OP

thanks for the tips. that was very helpful.
Reply 9
In the LSE Graduate School Prospectus, there is a list of what a British first degree corresponds to in a number of countries.
For Canada it says: a good honours bachelor's degree AND
For the USA: BS, BA or JD with a GPA of not less than 3.4, but normally 3.5 or higher.
Reply 10
i wouldn't treat leeds university's criteria as representative of all british unis.
for cambridge a 2:1 is a 3.4 GPA http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/gsprospectus/faq/#heading4

i thought you had already applied. at any rate, if LSE decides to make you an offer they will specify what they require in terms of GPA so you won't need to worry about converting it.
The LSE offers the following conversion table for affiliate students:
This is at http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/generalCourse/FAQs.htm

Degree Class equivalent
%mark
equivalent
written work
class work

First
79+
A+
A+
A+

First
74 - 78
A
A
A

Borderline First - First
68 - 73
A-
A-
A-

Upper Second
60 - 67
B+
B+
B+

Lower Second
55 - 59
B
B
B

Lower Second
50 - 54
B-
B-
B-

Third
45 - 49
C+
C+
C+

Third
40 - 44
C
C
C

Pass
34 - 39
C-
C-
C-

Fail
33 or lower
F
F
F

My guess is that LSE will convert your 3.4 GPA to a middling-low Upper Second. If you are applying for Economics, Economics and Finance then this will probably need to be supported by good GRE's of 760+ in the quant section.
Reply 12
Nak,

I'm also doing my B.Comm at McGill (Jt Honours Econ and Finance). Do you know anyone else who got into Warwick, because I'm thinking of applying there for MSc Econ but my GPA isn't very good (3.33) but will be a little higher by the time I graduate next year. Do you think this is too low to even bother applying at Warwick (LSE is definitely out of the question)?

And how was the response from LSE, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 13
I did my degree from an American university and always wanted to go to LSE but my GPA was 3.45. In the prospectus it said 3.5 or higher but I still applied and was accepted. So, apply whatever your GPA is, at the end of the day you have a personal statement to write. Good luck:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending