The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've never heard of this system...and i still don't understand it after reading this thread.
So do you get told your predictions at the beginning of LXI??
I haven't got my predicted AS grades yet, but how do you work out your average points score from GCSE? One of my As was for a short course too, and I can't count ICT because I did an AVCE, so it's like haivng an A level and can't be 'converted' to GCSEs. I think the system is pretty stupid. People do differently in different subjects, and just because they did rubbish in some of their GCSEs doesn't mean they'll do badly at AS if they're taking their best subjects.
Reply 22
TheWolf
AHH so its used for motivational purposes such as the Econ teacher marking every essay of mine a c/d when they are probably A grade. :rolleyes:

Lol I had the same thing, in my mocks I got CCCD :biggrin:.
I've got guideline grades from my GCSE points,apparently I should get CCC.
Mine was 6 so i was predicted BBC-my actual grades were ABBB. I get informed that predicted grades using the system are stupid so i basically just ignored them.
ALIS: DEEE

AS Level Grades: AAAB

A Level Grades: AAB

Oh well, there are so many things which influence a difference between GCSE results and those at A Level. I just worked alot harder.
I still don't get it..but it sounds interesting!!
How do you work out your points, and predicted grades?
I got 3 A*s, 6 As and a B at GCSE...does anyone know what the ALIS thing predicts for my AS?
Reply 27
burningwings
I got 3 A*s, 6 As and a B at GCSE...does anyone know what the ALIS thing predicts for my AS?

what uni/course'll you be doing?
I've wanted to go to Nottingham for psychology degree, then post graduate clinical psychology somewhere, for the last 2years, but recently have been being put off by others in my school going "ooh an "ology"??! *snide look* i'm going to become a doctor/vet/biochemist..etc"

but at the moment psychology and nottingham..

(my AS levels are sociology, biology, english literature and religion)
Reply 29
I cant remember my exact point score, but my grades that i was predicted from my GCSE results were BBBCC...its a load of bull, lol i got AAABC. :rolleyes:
Reply 30
burningwings
I've wanted to go to Nottingham for psychology degree, then post graduate clinical psychology somewhere, for the last 2years, but recently have been being put off by others in my school going "ooh an "ology"??! *snide look* i'm going to become a doctor/vet/biochemist..etc"

but at the moment psychology and nottingham..

(my AS levels are sociology, biology, english literature and religion)

Why study ology?
Reply 31
how do you work out this average? i got 3 A*s 5As 2Bs and a C, what might mine be?

Like you have all said, it looks quite pointless but im just interested. :smile:
Reply 32
burningwings

A* = 8 points
A = 7
B = 6

Your points average is: (24+42+6)/10 = 7.2...
You are generally expected to avergae low A grades in college, but it depends how you did in the subjects you are taking as well...

Hope that helped:biggrin:
Reply 33
Lee2
how do you work out this average? i got 3 A*s 5As 2Bs and a C, what might mine be?

Like you have all said, it looks quite pointless but im just interested. :smile:
It is far from pointless, it gives you something to aim for, and surpass if you are like me... I think that we should all bear in mind the system is far from perfect and it doesnt take into account all factors, but we should appreciate that they are predictions.

Ill just calculated this...
You are expected to averge As, but not so strong ones, but thats only IF you took the subjects related to the A*s at GCSE.

Hope that helped you.
CKS
Why study ology?

why not?

and thanks RobbieC! :smile: yay for this system :P lol.. gives me hope anyway, as although it's probably not all that accurate, it still means I have the chance to do okay, and i thought id fail :smile:
Reply 35
burningwings
why not?

and thanks RobbieC! :smile: yay for this system :P lol.. gives me hope anyway, as although it's probably not all that accurate, it still means I have the chance to do okay, and i thought id fail :smile:
Never. Not with your GCSE profile. You are NOT ALLOWED to fail, lol.

BTW, I like the diversity in your A level choices, what were you thinking of doing at uni, if anythign that is?
RobbieC
Never. Not with your GCSE profile. You are NOT ALLOWED to fail, lol.

BTW, I like the diversity in your A level choices, what were you thinking of doing at uni, if anythign that is?

lol, thanks..i hope not! i was kindof (very) lazy up until the month before gcses, so need to work on that still!!
Thanks.. I want to study psychology..
Reply 37
burningwings
lol, thanks..i hope not! i was kindof (very) lazy up until the month before gcses, so need to work on that still!!
Thanks.. I want to study psychology..
I have a friend applying for that, or 20, lol. its a nice choice...

I am very like you. Only revise when I am really under pressure. I will pay for it soon. Don't get me wrong, I am no genius, but I work hard when I have to, and only then, lol.

good luck on your Alevels and whatnot:smile:
Reply 38
so do i! only revise under pressure i mean :tongue:
RobbieC
I have a friend applying for that, or 20, lol. its a nice choice...

I am very like you. Only revise when I am really under pressure. I will pay for it soon. Don't get me wrong, I am no genius, but I work hard when I have to, and only then, lol.

good luck on your Alevels and whatnot:smile:

I work best when i'm under pressure, which is why i think i do well in exams and HATE coursework!

Latest