The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kellywood_5
Exactly. There are some people who find maths and the sciences really easy, but couldn't pass English or history, and likewise some people are better at the arts. There is actually no way of saying which A-level subject is the hardest. They're all hard in their own way, with the exception of truly pointless ones like General Studies.

Actually, general studies can be one of the hardest subjects to gain an 'A' grade in. Many people who can breeze the sciences, maths, history etc. slip up on it.

Statistically, it also has the lowest % of people gaining A grades.

Interestingly, Further maths has the highest % of 'A' grades (something approaching 60%)
Gaz031
Hey I take offense at that. General studies is not pointless. I don't mock your subjects so why mock mine? :confused:

Sorry, I just meant pointless in the sense that hardly any universities accept it, so why take it?
Lottelo
Actually, general studies can be one of the hardest subjects to gain an 'A' grade in. Many people who can breeze the sciences, maths, history etc. slip up on it.

Statistically, it also has the lowest % of people gaining A grades.

Interestingly, Further maths has the highest % of 'A' grades (something approaching 60%)

I meant pointless because it's not accepted by most decent unis. And about the further maths, that would be because only really clever people who are brilliant at maths take it in the first place. It's not even offered at my school!
Reply 23
I don't take it, but from what I hear General Studies requires decent essay writing and good knowledge of current affairs/debates, so I guess it would be really hard for someone who spends most of thier time locked away playing playstation even though they could be a genius at computer science, physics etc.
kellywood_5
They're all hard in their own way, with the exception of truly pointless ones like General Studies.

Not really, it tests all round ability, rather than regurgitating facts and doing an exam that's near identical to a past paper. Many people do crap because they're not good all rounders and hence end up doing a very narrow range of A-Levels, thus they do bad on GS. GS is the only subject that tests all round ability, and you can't revise for it.
Reply 25
Nima
Not really, it tests all round ability, rather than regurgitating facts and doing an exam that's near identical to a past paper. Many people do crap because they're not good all rounders and hence end up doing a very narrow range of A-Levels, thus they do bad on GS. GS is the only subject that tests all round ability, and you can't revise for it.

Agreed, I personally think it should be valued far more than it is.
The specification would have to change drastically for that to ever happen. Perhaps even a name change to the course.
Reply 27
I'd like to agree with some of the recent points.
General studies is very different to other A-Levels. It does not test the effort you put in. However, it does test your intelligence to an extent.
Who cares if most universities don't accept it? It requires little effort to prepare for, though it does require effort and some intelligence when sitting the exam.
Reply 28
Gaz031
I'd like to agree with some of the recent points.
General studies is very different to other A-Levels. It does not test the effort you put in. However, it does test your intelligence to an extent.
Who cares if most universities don't accept it? It requires little effort to prepare for, though it does require effort and some intelligence when sitting the exam.

Some people would say that they would prefer not to worry about an exam that is usually ignored by universities when they should be worrying about the more respected subjects.

Latest