The Student Room Group

40% pass mark?

Hi, quick question.

I'm in my first year and I was wondering something as regards pass mark. For example if I had a maths module with 3 exams and it says I needed 40% to pass the module.

test 1 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
test 2 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
test 3 - Counts towards 60% of the final mark

For example if I got full marks in the first 2 tests (40%) and got 0% in the final exam would It still count as a module pass? Or do I have to get 40% in each test?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you for the el rapido response, appreciated :smile:
billybobbob
Hi, quick question.

I'm in my first year and I was wondering something as regards pass mark. For example if I had a maths module with 3 exams and it says I needed 40% to pass the module.

test 1 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
test 2 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
test 3 - Counts towards 60% of the final mark

For example if I got full marks in the first 2 tests (40%) and got 0% in the final exam would It still count as a module pass? Or do I have to get 40% in each test?

Thanks

No you may still have to get 40% in ALL tests to pass - that's how it is in my uni. It might be better to ask the people who actually deal with your subject exams in uni rather than strangers on the internet about something as important as your exams...
Reply 3
Depends on your University, some (like Sheffield) require you to get at least 30% in each test and get an overall mark of 40%.
Reply 4
It's completely university dependant. Some universities (and even more specifically, some modules) want 40% over the year, some want 40% on each module and some want 40% on each peice of work you do. My universities policy is the last one, but in the first year they don't enforce it and simply want us to get 40% on each module to progress.
We had to get 40 % on each exam as well as 40 % overall.
It's not even university dependent - it's often a departmental thing. I've taken courses at Edinburgh that require 40% overall and nothing else, courses that require 40% in all assessed elements, and courses that have required a higher mark still.
Reply 7
40% is a pass but its known as ''the drinkers degree'' dont think anyone should be aiming for that
Reply 8
legendstar
40% is a pass but its known as ''the drinkers degree'' dont think anyone should be aiming for that

haha nice term...

but yea, from what i remember the overall passrate from year 1 to year 2 was to get 40%+ in every module (not sure about exams) they allowed people with 30%-40% but only with special consideration/resit in summer
Reply 9
I thought 35% was a pass, but for you got an ordinary degree, not hons.

40% is a 3rd, not a pass.
ok so 40% is an e grade which is a pass they work out the average of the three modules (add all ur marks up and divide by three) so if you got 40+0=40/2=20 so ud have overall 20 which isnt a pass im afraid :/
If you're aiming for 40% then perhaps university isn't for you.
Like others have said, it depends?

In Coventry, you have to get 35% per component (e.g. a test or a piece of coursework) with at least 40% overall per module.

Where are you at Uni?
Depends, I need at least 40% in each component of the module whereas some of my friends on other courses need 40% overall.
Reply 14
ihaterealitytvshows
ok so 40% is an e grade which is a pass they work out the average of the three modules (add all ur marks up and divide by three) so if you got 40+0=40/2=20 so ud have overall 20 which isnt a pass im afraid :/

You really haven't understood the OP's question have you ?
Reply 15
legendstar

GodspeedGehenna
If you're aiming for 40% then perhaps university isn't for you.

Don't be so quick to judge. I fall under special circumstances as much as I hate to be.

Also I don't drink.
Reply 16
As others have said, it completely depends on the university, and within that- often the department, too. I believe that, for a number of our exams, the "pass" mark (i.e. that which won't require you to sit any additional penal exams) is 60%.
This is a silly question, because you're not going to get 100% in two exams and 0% in one. I can guarantee that.

Just aim to do your best. Anyone who puts the tiniest bit of effort into their degree will get at least 40%, surely.
for one unit i had two pieces of work worth 50% each
the first bit the group mark i got 54%(worth 50%)
and the oral exam(i got 36%)(worth 50%)

have i passed that unit
Reply 19
You would need to get at least 50% for tests 1 & 2 as that would be 10% each (since test 1 & 2 are both worth 20%) Therefore, for test 3 in order to get a pass of 40% overall across the 3 tests, you will need to get 34% for test 3 which would give you 20%. So this adds up to 10 + 10 + 20 = 40% overall

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending