The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

What do people think about Heriot Watt University?

This is posted in General University Discussion so I don't get biased responses like I might get if I posted in the Edinburgh Unis forum.

So, I never thought I'd ask this, but what do people think about Heriot Watt? I'm studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng there, and would like to know peoples opinions please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My girlfriend's brother did engineering there and he enjoyed it! Seems like a good uni, and Edinburgh's a great place.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
It's very good engineering, and is thought as as one of the best in the energy and oil sectors.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
It's very good engineering, and is thought as as one of the best in the energy and oil sectors.

Would you say it was amongst (or better?) than the traditional Scottish universities like St A, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc?
Reply 4
I think it has a strange name.
What a lovely name it has :love:
never heard of it ............
Original post by pineapples01
Would you say it was amongst (or better?) than the traditional Scottish universities like St A, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc?

In what way? And St Andrews doesn't do engineering.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
In what way? And St Andrews doesn't do engineering.

Oh, I didn't know that about St A. I meant that does it really matter much in terms of prestige etc if I do engineering at HW as opposed to somewhere with a better reputation overall? As far as I know, HW doesn't has a great overall rep.
Reply 9
:lolwut: Never heard of it!
Oh, I didn't know that about St A. I meant that does it really matter much in terms of prestige etc if I do engineering at HW as opposed to somewhere with a better reputation overall? As far as I know, HW doesn't has a great overall rep.

"Prestige" means **** all. As I've already said, the oil and energy industries are full of Heriot Watt graduates - much more so than the other universities you have mentioned.
Reply 11
Original post by Smack
"Prestige" means **** all. As I've already said, the oil and energy industries are full of Heriot Watt graduates - much more so than the other universities you have mentioned.

So Engineering at HW is regarded highly by employers? It's not the most encouraging sign that most people are saying here that they've never heard of it :lol:
Reply 12
It's a great university!! Fourth university in Scotland on the league tables (I know they don't exactly mean a lot). It's above more well known universities like Aberdeen and Dundee!
It's a very good university for engineering. Most people speak of it as level with Strathclyde, which is also an excellent university engineering.

However, my ex went there, so I can never go back without a few memories =/
Reply 14
Only really know it from it's brewing and distilling courses which are awesome...

Think it's off the radar for a lot of English students these days due to the fees and not being named after a city.
I know a guy who goes there and he says he loves it.

Me and my mates all call him Ainsley Heriot, because we're very witty.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Alt__x
It's a great university!! Fourth university in Scotland on the league tables (I know they don't exactly mean a lot). It's above more well known universities like Aberdeen and Dundee!

I had offers from Edinburgh and Glasgow and chose to go to HW, is this a bad decision would you say?
Reply 17
I had offers from Edinburgh and Glasgow and chose to go to HW, is this a bad decision would you say?

Not at all! It is an extremely well respected university, especially for the course you have applies for!
Reply 18

You should go on this website: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/englishIndex.do?t=201407180743395
and look at the % of graduates with graduate jobs because that will tell you a lot about the career prospects.

I'm at Heriot Watt and I love the uni! A lot of students outside of Scotland won't have heard of it but it is known amongst employers so don't worry about that!

It's a really good uni for Engineering, Maths and some other areas. A lot of people from all over the world come to study in the Engineering courses and a few of my friends are in their final year!

I think you made a good decision with Heriot Watt! (that might be a little biased as I am a student there) If you need to reassure yourself then go on that website and it should hopefully put you at ease after looking at the feedback from graduates! :smile:
Reply 19
what about heriot watts economics department?

Quick Reply

Latest