The Student Room Group

Anyone applied through plus med to study medicine in Romania?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MoMatrix
Hello there, I have a friend who is in Bucharest and he says the deadline is pretty much over for Carola Davila, you need to also have something from the Ministry of Education in Bucharest.

Why did you apply through the agency, they are known as con men...

I applied through an agency as they do all the leg work for you (translating documents, etc)
Reply 21
Original post by MoMatrix
Hello there, I have a friend who is in Bucharest and he says the deadline is pretty much over for Carola Davila, you need to also have something from the Ministry of Education in Bucharest.

Why did you apply through the agency, they are known as con men...

I applied through the agency as they do all the leg work for you (translating documents etc)
Reply 22
i have just finished AS, and I am thinking of applying for biomedical sciences and then later convert to medicine...but recently I've been thinking of medicine abroad. One of my main worries is it doesn't seem legit to get the med degree from a european country that takes pretty much any candidate....

what made you guys apply abroad? don't you also think it's weird how people who dont seem to meet the grades all apply to romania and such places?
Reply 23
Original post by a_patel93
i have just finished AS, and I am thinking of applying for biomedical sciences and then later convert to medicine...but recently I've been thinking of medicine abroad. One of my main worries is it doesn't seem legit to get the med degree from a european country that takes pretty much any candidate....

what made you guys apply abroad? don't you also think it's weird how people who dont seem to meet the grades all apply to romania and such places?

Medical degrees from these places are legit as they are GMC registered.
Reply 24
Is there anyone currently doing the course? I've spoken to both Anil and Komal seems like they're the only 2 working for plus med lol.

Anyways I plan on applying next year now since I really want to just want to do some work in the UK. Defiantly next year I plan on applying. Is there anyone else applying next year? If so just PM me with your email please, would be nice to get to know some of the people thinking about applying.

I am not too sure about this plus med situation, UCAS sent me some details about them so I was like must be legit. Then again it could just be a VERY VERY elaborate scam.
I have spoken to Anil as well, I am definetely applying to start in october 2012.
But I dont think I will be able to apply through plus med students because I'm brazilian and I'm going to need all sorts of visas and they said they dont really know what I need to do, so ... :/

Now, I think they are legit. I saw a presentation about them in medlink last year but i still had my doubts the

at they were "a very very elaborate scam" like king101 said but I think not :s
Reply 26
Fair enough, I will be applying soon too :biggrin: cannot really find much information about plus med, I have not actually spoken to a single person from the UK that is doing/has used plus med and/or doing the course. That is the bit that gets me slightly worried lol.
Reply 27
Original post by king101
Fair enough, I will be applying soon too :biggrin: cannot really find much information about plus med, I have not actually spoken to a single person from the UK that is doing/has used plus med and/or doing the course. That is the bit that gets me slightly worried lol.

dude dont apply through an agency, do it yourself, they're all scams, which unis you applying to?
Reply 28
Is anyone thinking of applying to cluj?
Reply 29
I do not understand why some people have paranoia when it comes to agents helping students with the admission processes. there is nothing wrong in using educational agencies..of course if your 'pocket can afford it'. Agencies are in every country & assist students all over the world to different universities of the world. their product is their service. they sell their service to interested applicants. some of the reliable ones also monitor the applicants file very closely at the ministry.

The problem is that most agencies in Romania are not legitimate except a few. Some of them are not registered with the Romanian Government or 'accredited' by the university.A few agencies are registered and accredited though and it is hard sometimes for a prospective medical student to know which one is reliable and trustworthy. I used agency (study med abroad) which is registered by the Romanian Government to get into Romanian medical school and they were quite helpful from the start til finish (till i started classes) whereas some of my fellow classmates have bad experiences with some agencies (e.g most of the agencies did not deliver what they promise and do not help the student or even meet them at the airport!). Students should not also forget that they can apply on their own if they want to.
when I weighed difficulty i had to go through of applying on my own versus if i can afford to pay an agency, I opted for the latter...I was not ready to thread on grounds i know nothing about...I was not ready to go through much headaches (especially after being rejected at 3 universities in the UK despite excellent results, voluntary services, etc)...

Although I have seen people who applied on their own (i applied on behalf of a friend last year in order to bypass agencies) and obtain the acceptance letters..some of these people have friends in Romania..some of them are seasoned travelers (flying to and fro at different times)...I was not ready to go through such headaches..the agency in my case was very helpful and served as my correspondence' sort of. Why would I risk my educational (medical) career on a small error in application or on a missing document for example (yes..i was contacted by the agency to prepare my documents in a more proper way and send some additional documents to them), also...Once your documents are submitted to the Ministry you have very little chance of tracing the progress of your application or let alone getting confirmation that the file was received except if you travel there and submit your documents! Why would I risk my application on lack of accountability for my file? And what about if you travel there and submit them, try follow it up on telephone for example...try call the person who received the documents or the officials at the ministry, and see if they pick up the phone at all or if they have an idea what you are talking about..not really! i was also thinking about how I would have handled the 'courier of my acceptance letter' when it was issued (yes, was couriered to me not standard post) or how would i know that I had some missing/improperly prepared documents...

You can also answer these questions... Do you really think a secretary speaking in broken English is going to give you satisfactory answers to your 13 questions? Or how about advising you on how to apply for your temporary visa permit and how much money to budget for an apartment? or link you to a local agent to find an apartment accommodation for you? Some universities e.g Cluj-Napoca who do still accept applications directly will review your file and make a decision on whether they want you as a student, with no clearly defined criteria. Why put your application through an additional layer of screening? or sometimes one does not even know the process...a good educational agency will be honest with you and let you know the specifications of each university and let you avoid unnecessary bureaucracies.

Finally, ever wondered how long it will take to complete your application and receive the acceptance letter? Think about postal services, internal delays and rectifying any issues. Imagine trying to find out why your application was rejected from a giant machine like a Ministry of Education! Or why the missing document that you clearly remember submitting disappeared. It could take a really long time. Have you got lots of time to spare on unnecessary inconveniences?

Of course, it is advisable for students on a very tight budget to apply on their own and see if they are successful or not..why not take a chance? also if a student applied earlier, let say between march/April-May, all these inconveniences may be resolved (however the student must be very 'serious/insist' to resolve any issues arising with their application with the university or Romanian ministry of education) before the school resumes in October..but for me..it would have just been too much headache and a nightmare..and of course...I was able to afford it
(edited 11 years ago)
The lifestlyle in Romania:
I'm aware some of you are a little hasty about the country and lifestyle. I did some voluntary work in Romania last summer, so i'm aware of the culture. It's very different in comparison to the UK, but can be considered safe, and is part of the EU
PM me for further details or Romania
Reply 31
Original post by Emmalea
Is anyone thinking of applying to cluj?

---------------

If you want to apply to Cluj, contact the Iuliu Hatieganu UMF Cluj DIRECTLY - Cluj accepts students diectly and you would be selected based on numerous criteria + you would need to pay around 200 EUR non-refundable 'processing fee', you would know by July or August 2012 if your application is selected at all or if your application is successful at the ministry for the letter of recognition of studies (acceptance letter) to study medicine in Cluj.

*Google: Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie Iuliu Hatieganu, Cluj-Napoca)
------------------

Alternatively, you may look into other great medical school sin Romania eg carol Davila bucharest, GT Popa Iasi, Timisoara, oradea, Constanta, Targu Mures, Arad -- you may be guaranteed a seat & acceptance letter at these medical universities as early as May 2012. Some of them e.g Arad or Oradea offer reduction for tuition fees -- but the applicant ust write a compulsory entranc exam in July! And to qualify for the entrance exam, you must have gotten your acceptance letter before July!

All the best.
Reply 32
hi guys... i have just applied to carol Davila through plus med student...i have payed the deposit and i would like to know if there is anyone else applying through plus med or from the uk aor any other place
Reply 33
Original post by davey101
hi guys... i have just applied to carol Davila through plus med student...i have payed the deposit and i would like to know if there is anyone else applying through plus med or from the uk aor any other place

Hey man, I've also applied through plus med, and I'm from the uk :smile:
I can't help with information about the dentistry course but I can confirm that Bucharest is a great place to live.
Reply 35
Original post by sohoscribbler
I can't help with information about the dentistry course but I can confirm that Bucharest is a great place to live.

Ah cool, do you live there? or been?
I have lived there and go back as often as I can.
Reply 37
I am a graduate and I was looking at doing this! Mainly because it's cheap and I can afford to pay the fees myself therefore no more getting into more debt! Are there any graduates on here currently doing the course or any graduates thinking of applying for this? It would be helpful to hear from you! Thanks!
What sort of A level grades/GCSEs do these places require?
Reply 39
Original post by Yas93
Hey man, I've also applied through plus med, and I'm from the uk :smile:

hey thats great... are you awaiting reply from them?

Quick Reply

Latest