The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
It's a toss up between pure ccon and a joint ccon course at LSE for me. I don't know if I'm daredevil enough to go for pure.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 61
how important is good as-levels to LSE, cus i got 6a* at GCSE and many more A* equivalents so will they look at my as's.
Plus i'm predicted A*A*A in Math, Economics and Chemistry....and EPQ -A
Is this ok for Accounting and Finance?
Economics this year :smile:
Reply 63
Im applying for economics

GCSEs: 6.5A* 2.5A 1B
AS:AAAA (maths 91.2%, econ 97.5%, physics 90.6%%, eng lit 90%) B (ICT) C (crit think)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*(maths (97 in C3), econ, physics) A (further maths)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Hello,

I'm from Germany and I'm applying to LSE for Philosophy and Economics...

Does anybody know how severe the admission office is, regarding TOEFL Test? The Requirement Page says you need 108 points in the Internet based Test, 25 points in every section

I've done the test and I got 112, but only 24 Points in writing...

Do they still consider my application or do I have any disadvantage or something?
Reply 65
hello , i am studying the foundation programme organized by the university of warwick , is it possible for me to get into LSE through foundation programme? thanks
Reply 66
I am applying :smile:
For geography....
+ I want to stay living at home and it's obviously a good uni AND in London :biggrin:
Reply 67
hey everyone,
i'm applying for Accounting and Finance as an international student
GCSEs: 8/8 A's (edexcel introduced A* grade after my sitting i guess):s-smilie:
AS : Accounting 300/300 Physics 293/300
A2 : Maths A* (certified)
Acc A* Phy A (predicted)
i also got the world highest in GCSE Accounting.

provided that i have a decent PS, what do you think are my chances of holding an offer? thanks in advance and good luck :smile:
Reply 68
Applying to Government and Economics!

8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE.
AAAA at AS in Economics, History, Maths and Critical Thinking. Got a C in Philosophy which was massively disappointing.
Predicted A* A* A* A* in Economics, History, Maths and Philosophy (will be retaking the Philosophy and my teacher assumes I'll do a lot better...)
Also doing the EPQ/AQA Bacc.
My personal statement is good, I have good work experience and pretty good wider study. Reference should be fine too. Obviously the major blot is the C in Philosophy... I'm hoping they'll not scratch me off the list straight away because of it! I'd really love to go to LSE, my first choice uni I think.

Good luck to all fellow applicants! :smile:
Original post by emmaaa88

8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE.
AAAA at AS in Economics, History, Maths and Critical Thinking. Got a C in Philosophy which was massively disappointing.
Predicted A* A* A* A* in Economics, History, Maths and Philosophy (will be retaking the Philosophy and my teacher assumes I'll do a lot better...)
My personal statement is good, I have good work experience and pretty good wider study. Reference should be fine too. Obviously the major blot is the C in Philosophy... I'm hoping they'll not scratch me off the list straight away because of it! I'd really love to go to LSE, my first choice uni I think.

Are your grades cashed in?
Reply 70
Original post by Deep456
Are your grades cashed in?

I believe so. I'm not too clear on the whole cashing in thing to be honest, all I know is that for all subjects I was continuing on to A level (Phil, Economics, History, Maths) the overall AS level grade appeared on the sheet. The one subject I know definitely wasn't cashed in, Critical Thinking, didn't have an overall grade on it, but I then cashed this in later to get the grade. I think our school cashes in all grades except Critical Thinking as many people who take CT don't take it seriously as we only have it for one lesson a week, so some of them wish to hide the result when they do badly, even though it doesn't really matter too much.

Hope that's not too convoluted :tongue:
Original post by Aluu93
Anyone else here applying for 'Economics and Economic History'?

GCSEs:10/10 A*s
AS Levels: 3As and a B (none cashed in)
A2 Level Predictions: History (A*) Economics (A*) Maths (A) French AS (A) Further Maths AS (A)
Goodish personal statement I believe, I'm surprised why many don't apply to this course, it seems really interesting!

Me but my academic record is nothing like yours :eek3:

PM me :smile:
Reply 72

8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE.

wait so you got a C in philosophy but ur being predicted A*? :confused: The systems ****ed up
I believe so. I'm not too clear on the whole cashing in thing to be honest, all I know is that for all subjects I was continuing on to A level (Phil, Economics, History, Maths) the overall AS level grade appeared on the sheet. The one subject I know definitely wasn't cashed in, Critical Thinking, didn't have an overall grade on it, but I then cashed this in later to get the grade. I think our school cashes in all grades except Critical Thinking as many people who take CT don't take it seriously as we only have it for one lesson a week, so some of them wish to hide the result when they do badly, even though it doesn't really matter too much.

Hope that's not too convoluted :tongue:

Pretty sure it's cashed in and universities will see you got a C (as you will need to declare it on UCAS) and that you are being predicted an A*. As a result, it seems you are blatently over-predicted and some universities may think that is the trend with all your subjects.

I am not an expert but it may work against you, yes.

I also can't understand why a teacher would predict you an A* when you got a C at AS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Deep456
Pretty sure it's cashed in and universities will see you got a C (as you will need to declare it on UCAS) and that you are being predicted an A*. As a result, it seems you are blatently over-predicted and some universities may think that is the trend with all your subjects.

I am not an expert but it may work against you, yes.

I also can't understand why a teacher would predict you an A* when you got a C at AS.

Yeah, I've declared it on my UCAS form and all that. I've actually had that concern myself and I've discussed it with my teacher. The reason for the disparity I believe is that I got over the 90% A* boundary in the mock, kept a similar standard in practice essays/general subject work, the provisional prediction was made prior to results and my teacher was unwilling to change it afterwards as he was sure I'd had a bad exam and would bump it up in a retake.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I think I'll discuss it more with my teacher. Don't know how much it'll reflect on all my other subject predictions as I kept in line with predictions in my AS results for them. Maybe it's being explained in my reference, I can't say as I haven't seen it. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
Wow...getting a C and then a A* prediction, thats bullsh*t. I got an A and im predicted an A. I hope universities this year crack down hard on over inflated predictions, its so unfair, they are based on teachers opinions rather that academic credentials.
Reply 76
Original post by Alpha5
Wow...getting a C and then a A* prediction, thats bullsh*t. I got an A and im predicted an A. I hope universities this year crack down hard on over inflated predictions, its so unfair, they are based on teachers opinions rather that academic credentials.

I'm sorry :frown: Even though I'm benefitting from it, I know it's not fair. Since yesterday I've organised a meeting with my teacher to have a chat about it, so the reaction here helped me a little. This was quite an isolated case at my school, they don't liberally dish out high predictions to people, as with anywhere students are in some cases predicted differently, whether higher or lower, than how they performed in the exam. I think a prediction is helpful because sometimes the AS exams aren't representative of everything, and the unis must agree otherwise they wouldn't ask for them.

Sorry to have diverted the thread. I just came here to chat about LSE which I want to attend more than anything, I hope I haven't annoyed anyone.
I'm sorry :frown: Even though I'm benefitting from it, I know it's not fair. Since yesterday I've organised a meeting with my teacher to have a chat about it, so the reaction here helped me a little. This was quite an isolated case at my school, they don't liberally dish out high predictions to people, as with anywhere students are in some cases predicted differently, whether higher or lower, than how they performed in the exam. I think a prediction is helpful because sometimes the AS exams aren't representative of everything, and the unis must agree otherwise they wouldn't ask for them.

Sorry to have diverted the thread. I just came here to chat about LSE which I want to attend more than anything, I hope I haven't annoyed anyone.

LOL chill out guys :smile:
Reply 78
For what programme? - MSc Finance
Why are you choosing LSE? - To earn big boy monies lol j/k defo cause it has to be (arguably) the most well respected institution for employers in the finance sector
Reply 79
For those who got accepted for ACcounting and finance, what are your gcse grades and a levels predicted?

Quick Reply

Latest