The Student Room Group

teacher negligence

hi
Just wondering if any one on here can help me, i am having trouble getting my ict gcse result sorted out because my teacher forgot to re mark it and change my grade to distinctions like he was supposed to before it got sent off. The head teacher has wrote to the ocr exam board to ask them to re moderate it but they have said no as it is a legacy or something. Having spent hours of my time to get it to a distinction when i could of just left it as it was and gone out with friends etc it has left me fuming and let down by the school who i gave 100 percent in the five years i was there and came out with 3 a stars in maths and 2 sciences and a in french re pe and english and eng lit, ict is the easieast and i got the lowest grade in it due to teacher negligence i do not want him to get away with it and want to stand up for myself , has anyone got any ideas as to what i could do
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
If you can get a distinction in it it is obviously not a GCSE - I presume that you are talking about OCR Nationals. I appreciate your frustration, but it's a bit late to do anything about it now and OCR Nationals are barely worth the paper they are written on so I'd just forget you ever took it.
Reply 2
ICT is a GCSE, I have it...

But aside from that, have you tried contacting the exam board yourself?
Reply 3
Original post by Andy_J
ICT is a GCSE, I have it...

Yes, you can get a GCSE in ICT, but this isn't one.
Reply 4
Original post by Data
Yes, you can get a GCSE in ICT, but this isn't one.

On my GCSE results sheet it states - ICT. Grade - Distinction.
Reply 5
Original post by Andy_J
But aside from that, have you tried contacting the exam board yourself?

Futile, I'm afraid. Exam boards don't generally discuss results directly with students and if they were prepared to then it should have been done back in August/September, not months later. Any appeal (which has to be made by the school) has to be lodged within 2 weeks of a post results query answer being received. I don't imagine that the school has only just been told that the mark cannot change. I'm afraid that you will just have to chalk this one up to experience and be more pro-active in your complaining in future.
Reply 6
Original post by Andy_J

You didn't do a GCSE in ICT then.
Reply 7
Original post by Data
Futile, I'm afraid. Exam boards don't generally discuss results directly with students and if they were prepared to then it should have been done back in August/September, not months later. Any appeal (which has to be made by the school) has to be lodged within 2 weeks of a post results query answer being received. I don't imagine that the school has only just been told that the mark cannot change. I'm afraid that you will just have to chalk this one up to experience and be more pro-active in your complaining in future.

I guessed it probably would work, and I agree with data generally. You waited too long.
Reply 8
Original post by Data

This. Though that your school has let this happen is appalling, to be frank.
Reply 9
Original post by medbh4805
You didn't do a GCSE in ICT then.

I dunno, I picked ICT as an option, it says ICT on my certificate. It only takes up one option so I assume it was a GCSE. Maybe im wrong though :biggrin:
Reply 10
^ I guess it's OCR nationals, which is worth two/one GCSES. Distinction is A/A*.
Original post by Andy_J

Its probably a BTEC?
because my school made it compulsory for us..and said its worth 2 gcses blah blah :sigh:
Original post by Andy_J
I dunno, I picked ICT as an option, it says ICT on my certificate. It only takes up one option so I assume it was a GCSE. Maybe im wrong though :biggrin:

yeah there are a lot of qualifications in ICT which are equivalent to gcses, OCR Nationals, BTECs etc. I did the actual GCSE, and the equivalents aren't that much different to be honest :colonhash:
Reply 13
just to clear this all up ocr nationals are not actually gcse's. they are just equivalent to them. as you will notice when you fill out your qualifications on ucas there is a seperate section for ocr nationals
The ICT course I am doing lists an A* as a distinction. Thankfully the school does not have to submit any coursework until May 2012, where we will have done ALL units. But I've already got my first year grade back.

Edexcel DiDA D201 and D202
I'm doing OCR Nationals? Is it First Award or First Certificate? I need to know because when applying to SSFC I need to list my qualifications and I don't know which ICT I am doing.
Reply 16
Original post by Ferrari_1996
I'm doing OCR Nationals? Is it First Award or First Certificate? I need to know because when applying to SSFC I need to list my qualifications and I don't know which ICT I am doing.

..and how exactly do you think we'd know?
Original post by Data
..and how exactly do you think we'd know?

I don't know. I just thought I'd ask.
Reply 18
Thanks for all your replies they have been very helpful, i would just like to clear one thing up though i did complain straight away on the 26th of august results day as soon as i realised what had happened i went straight to the exams office and told them. I am in the process of going to the goveners for my school to see if they have anything to say on the matter but reading that the ict ocr nationals are not worth the paper they are written on i might cancell the meeting i just can not be bothered as it is getting in the way of my a level work and i have exams in January so i think i am just going to concentrate on them and forget the whole thing. Having said that the teacher has just got away scott free to do it to some more pupils who could be relying on them to get them into college, crap teachers they are everywhere.

Quick Reply