The Student Room Group

Bournemouth Child Health Nursing 2012

Just wondering if anyone else has firmed or recieved an offer for the Child Health Nursing course starting september 2012? :smile:
Original post by joannabarney
Just wondering if anyone else has firmed or recieved an offer for the Child Health Nursing course starting september 2012? :smile:

I got an offer too :smile:
Reply 2
Founds someone finally haha, are you looking at firming them?x
I got an offer :biggrin: It's my only one, so far, and I recieved it last week :smile: It's not my first choice, though...
Original post by joannabarney
Founds someone finally haha, are you looking at firming them?x

I am going to wait to hear back from all uni's first as its not my first choice :smile:
Reply 5
Hey!

I have confirmed my conditional offer for bournemouth child nursing so i will be starting september :smile: but commuting in from portsmouth
Reply 6
Hi, I have also confimed my offer at Bournemouth and starting in September! Look forward to meeting u then!! Lisa x
I got an offer for childs nursing and have put it as my firm choice for sep 2012. I'm so excited!! I don't know where im placed yet. I've put Salisbury and pool?? Anyone else?? X
Reply 8
Hi- yes I have accepted offer as firm place- have chosen Poole and Salisbury also!! Are u staying in student accomadation??
Reply 9
recieved my placement locality as poole for child health nursing :smile: anyone else? what accomodation are you looking at? halls?
x
I got my placement also, I got West Dorset. Not sure what I will be doing about accomodation as they say to stay in your placement area?!! anyone got any ideas?
Reply 11
hey, i have accepted my offer from bournemouth too for child health nursing. got my placement locality as poole - has anyone else got their placement there too?
and also what is everyone doing about accomodation?

soo looking forward to starting now!!! :smile:

Izzy x
Has anyone else got West Dorset for their placement? Also does anyone else know what we do about NHS bursaries? xxx
Reply 13
Hi everyone :smile: I'm currently at BU doing children's nursing, but just been informed that I have to repeat the units I've failed this year so will be with you lot for 2012 entry! I'm Poole locality and I've been living in Corfe House, if you guys have any questions like what the course has been like so far, where to live, what placements and lectures are like etc then feel free to ask!
Reply 14
Original post by cscott
Hi everyone :smile: I'm currently at BU doing children's nursing, but just been informed that I have to repeat the units I've failed this year so will be with you lot for 2012 entry! I'm Poole locality and I've been living in Corfe House, if you guys have any questions like what the course has been like so far, where to live, what placements and lectures are like etc then feel free to ask!

Hey! I'm going to be starting in September for child health and my placement is in Poole too. are you enjoying it? what is the placement like? and also what is it like living in Corfe house? I am so confused where to apply for accommodation!
Are you with other students who arn't doing nursing and whats it like going for nights out - like is it difficult to get back to Corfe house?

x
Reply 15
I am enjoying it yeah :smile: Tbh the essays can be a bit of a drag, obviously they're not my strong point though haha. There are 6 units; anatomy and physiology, essentials of nursing, sociology, psychology, practical skills aaand communications. A+P is the only unit you have an exam in at the end, though its a multiple choice online one so its not really a proper exam. Everything else has an essay at the end of the unit you have to pass by 40%.
Placement iiiissss.. Well. Limited, tbh. When you're actually in the hospital its really good. But you're only in the hospital for one of your three first year placements. The other two you're either in a nursery or you're in a special needs school. I personally loved working in the school, but a lot of my friends found it to be a bit pointless in terms of relating to the course, especially in the nursery. But if you've never worked with children it is good experience. Another annoying thing is that your third placement runs until august, so when all your friends on other courses finish in like june it's pretty frustrating.
I love corfe house, absolutely love it. We've become a real family here over the last year, and I've met some absolutely amazing friends I never want to lose. I'd say definitely apply for here for your first year as you do NEED to live in your locality or your commute to placement will be basically impossible. Corfe is literally next door to an aldi and a sainsburys, and iceland and asda are about a 5 minute walk away. The bus station is less than 5 minutes away as is the train station. One of the main downsides of having to live in poole is the commute for uni. Its a 45 minute bus in the morning ON A GOOD DAY. It can take over an hour. It only takes about 20 minutes to drive if that, but because the bus takes a longer route and it stops more it just takes a ridiculous amount of time. Getting back from nights out is very difficult. You will have to expect you will not have anywhere near the social life that people in the main halls will have because its just not feasible to get into town that much. There's basically no nightlife in poole, its pretty exclusively pubs and very small bars. A taxi back after a night out usually costs between £16-20 depending on where you come from, usually from the old firestation is £16 but you have to agree the price beforehand. Thursdays fridays and saturdays there is a night bus that runs all night for £4.
Hope this helps, anything else you want to know just ask :smile:
Reply 16
are there any books you recommend getting before starting the course? anything to help me prepare?
Reply 17
Original post by ibarnett1
are there any books you recommend getting before starting the course? anything to help me prepare?

Tbh no, you should wait until you get there to think about buying books. They reccomend which ones are best. Really though the library has a really good selection of books so you can even get away with not buying any and saving yourself a shed load of money! As for preparing yourself, there's not much really as they have an introduction type week when you get here where everything is explained. I would reccommend you look up Harvard referencing for essay writing.. They absolutely LOVE it haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending