The Student Room Group

Going abroad alone

Hi all

I'm thinking of going abroad in September, to Belgium in fact. I know people go travelling alone but is it normal? I'm 19 coming on 20 and I'm a bit worried my parents will think its stupid.

Its a holiday really, does it come across as. 'Sad'?

Cheers

Tom
No it won't come across as sad. Many people every year go abroad alone travelling, some to different continents!

If it's what you want to do, then do it. You're an adult now and responsible for yourself.
Reply 2
Of course it's normal :tongue:

Why would your parents think it's stupid? Plenty of people travel abroad for holidays alone.

Well, I suppose it would be more fun with friends, because you're in a new country by yourself, but that's an adventure :biggrin: It's not sad if you manage to have fun all on your own. You will probably make friends there anyway :smile: 19/ 20 is old enough!
Reply 3
I know loads of people who have taken holidays alone. I moved abroad for a year on my own.

Just book it!
Reply 4
It has been statisically proven that those who travel alone are most likely to get raped by a boogeyman.

Nah it's not sad, you will have a great time. I will be planning a solo holiday soon aswell as my friends are busy with their work.
Reply 5
It's not sad at all! I can understand why you might suggest that, but I really really admire those people who go it alone. I think it shows real confidence and initiative and courage. You'll meet so many people travelling in the most random places. I wish I had the confidence to do it too! My only concern is safety (and a shyness which i'm scared of haha)
my bit of advice is make sure you have a good rough plan. You won't stick to it, but it'll give you a starting point and a grounding place for when things seem tougher.

GOOD LUCK!!!

:smile:
Original post by ChapelTom
Hi all

I'm thinking of going abroad in September, to Belgium in fact. I know people go travelling alone but is it normal? I'm 19 coming on 20 and I'm a bit worried my parents will think its stupid.

Its a holiday really, does it come across as. 'Sad'?

Cheers

Tom

I first went abroad on holiday by myself at 17. I was the first person of my school year group to do so (as far as I'm aware). I then went again at 18, and a month after turning 20 went to study abroad on a different continent for 5 months- again, by myself.

Plenty of 19/20 year olds go travelling by themselves and usually meet other people when they are away. Eating alone can be a bit depressing, I learned to avoid restaurants and have my main meal at lunchtime (when eating alone is far more 'normal') and then go to fast food/snack type places in the evening. Now, I just don't care and bring a book with me, but at 17 I was a bit more self-conscious.

Far from being sad and stupid, I see it as being individualistic and adventurous, showing independence. Belgium wouldn't have been my choice though.
Definitely not sad, loads of people do it and it can be a lot better than going with others, you'll learn a lot about yourself!
Original post by standreams
I first went abroad on holiday by myself at 17. I was the first person of my school year group to do so (as far as I'm aware). I then went again at 18, and a month after turning 20 went to study abroad on a different continent for 5 months- again, by myself.

Plenty of 19/20 year olds go travelling by themselves and usually meet other people when they are away. Eating alone can be a bit depressing, I learned to avoid restaurants and have my main meal at lunchtime (when eating alone is far more 'normal') and then go to fast food/snack type places in the evening. Now, I just don't care and bring a book with me, but at 17 I was a bit more self-conscious.

Far from being sad and stupid, I see it as being individualistic and adventurous, showing independence. Belgium wouldn't have been my choice though.

Assuming you stay in hostels (I'd get far too bored travelling alone and staying in hotels!), why not just cook your dinner? It saves money, you know what you're getting and it's the perfect time to meet people.
Original post by callum9999
Assuming you stay in hostels (I'd get far too bored travelling alone and staying in hotels!), why not just cook your dinner? It saves money, you know what you're getting and it's the perfect time to meet people.

Agreed. Actually, when I first travelled, I didn't stay in hostels. Big mistake- for the young, solo traveller hotels are not ideal as they are quite isolating places (as well as expensive). In retrospect, I should have stayed in hostels and eaten there. When I was 17 I didn't really know these kind of things though. I'd always recommend eating at least one meal out every so often, as for me, experiencing a country's food is a big part of the pleasure of travel.

Nowadays I often stay in hotels when I travel alone- would much prefer to stay in hostels most of the time but unfortunately there are still many parts of the world where hostels don't exist. Also, now I'm in my twenties, my priorities when travelling are to see places rather than meet other young tourists, so while it's always great to meet people on the road, I'm happier in my own country than when I was a teenager, and 'making friends' is a happy bonus rather than essential.
Going abroad alone is awesome. I've done it a few times, and each time has been all kinds of fun. I can see how for some people they'd feel more secure going with friends, or just don't enjoy themselves so much on their own, but for me it's great to have absolute freedom to do whatever I like (money and visas permitting :tongue:), and I'm not really the sort of person who gets lonely when there are new things to do and explore. Plus like others have said it's easy as pie to meet other people in a hostel, especially if they have a good kitchen or social area.

I say you don't always have to fall in line with other people's opinions - even if your parents and other people do think it's sad, it's you not them going, so what does it matter?
Reply 11
Hi,
I'm currently in a similar situation, i'm not sure whether to go abroad or not. I could go on a holiday for a month, or work in Australia for a few months. I'm currently in a job i hate and i probably couldn't even get a month of work anyway! I'd like to go with friends or a friend, but the majority of my friends can't afford it because they're at uni. I'm also terrible at making decisions so that doesn't help either! :confused:
Reply 12
You will be fine!

I first went abroad by myself to Switzerland when I was 16, and this summer I'll be going to Germany alone (I'm 18 now!)

Quick Reply

Latest