The Student Room Group

Minimum alcohol price planned for England and Wales - 40p per unit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by py0alb
This is not just my opinion, this is the accepted academic position, with decades worth of incontrovertible empirical evidence backing it up.

You might as well be describing the existence of gravity as a "load of ****e", you'd look equally as ignorant and ill-informed.

So let me get this straight people cause anti social behaviour because not of how much they drink in a short given space. But because I say it causes anti-social behaviour.

:lol:
Reply 61
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Ask Boris.

Think he's a bit busy at the moment. He's got to beat Ken Livingstone again...
So we can still get tanked up in glasgow then?
Reply 63
Original post by SpongebobSquarepan
So let me get this straight people cause anti social behaviour because not of how much they drink in a short given space. But because I say it causes anti-social behaviour.

:lol:

Basically, yes. It's called social conditioning. If you kept telling everyone over and over and over that sausages made you violent but bacon made you horny, then we'd eventually see a rise in sausage related violence and bacon related pregnancies.
Reply 64
Welcome to England Communism. Go to hell free markets.
well it's ashame young people can't control their drink intake,

They always seem to get sucked into this vortex of 'my mates are getting stoned, so lets ALL get stoned wooooohooooo'.

Good thing the government are doing something about this, the amount of teens who cause a decibel increase on your streets (especially if you live close to your high street) is unreal. Sometimes it just makes me wanna keep a super soaker near my window and blast them with water when i have a chance (at night time of course)
Original post by py0alb
Basically, yes. It's called social conditioning. If you kept telling everyone over and over and over that sausages made you violent but bacon made you horny, then we'd eventually see a rise in sausage related violence and bacon related pregnancies.

But when you are drunk you have no control over what you do, so how can you remember what people have said that drinking causes anti social behaviour.

It's something they do without thinking about.
Original post by Llamageddon
So we can still get tanked up in glasgow then?

Get mad wae it you mean? :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
make everyone else pay because a couple of divs can't handle their drink? *******s
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
yeah. I appreciate they have to do something, but it's not the right way to do it.
What would you propose? I understand that drinking is a part of british culture and is no less legitimate than other parts, but it is also a huge strain on stretched police numbers. It's philosophy vs pragmatism.
Original post by 90pies an hour
make everyone else pay because a couple of divs can't handle their drink? *******s

What have you ever purchased from a supermarket that would be affected by the proposed legislation?
Reply 71
But when you are drunk you have no control over what you do.

I am afraid that this claim is a huge stinking pile of absolute, unmitigated bull****.

This is the whole point - you are 100% in control of what you do and its up to you to take responsibility for your actions.
Original post by Electronica
Get mad wae it you mean? :wink:
Ah, that's why I don't go to scotland on holiday. You guys speak a different language!
Original post by py0alb
I am afraid that this claim is a huge stinking pile of absolute, unmitigated bull****.

This is the whole point - you are 100% in control of what you do and its up to you to take responsibility for your actions.

source?
Reply 74
source?

I already gave you a source, jesus christ.
Original post by Llamageddon
Ah, that's why I don't go to scotland on holiday. You guys speak a different language!

You get used to it, you just have to read between the swear words - since chances are, they make up 2/3 of the sentence. :tongue:

But getting mad wae (with) it (or sometimes med wae it, depending on the dialect) is infinitely superior to getting 'tanked up'. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Electronica
What have you ever purchased from a supermarket that would be affected by the proposed legislation?

White Lightening
Awwww booo hooo, your alcohol is going up by 30p. Poor you.

You're missing the point. There's absolutely no point in putting up at all, it's just being greedy, nothing to do with stopping binge drinking at all. It's like pointlessly putting something you buy often up 30p for no apparent reason.
source?

Other countries have far worse drinking cultures, in terms of both binge drinking (Japan for example) or Mediterranean countries, who drink a lot more. They don't turn violent. Many studies have been done with placebos etc. and obviously they acted in the same way they would when drinking heavily. People who declare they can't control their actions are morons.

All the minimum price will do is affect the poorer more than the rich, and possibly increase the amount of theft. The annoying thing will be that cheaper booze will cost more, so other companies will put up their prices to differentiate their products from cheaper ones.

I liked on the BBC how they said that the problem is in town centres, yet all they went on about was it affecting retailers more than pubs and clubs. I know that some people will pre-drink, but it's going to see a shift from drinking at home to drinking in town, where the problems exist!
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Why not put a fat tax on fatty foods then? Overweight people are a strain on the NHS too you know.

Well that's good too. However that's a completely seperate argument. We are talking about a new minimum pricing on alcohol, just so you know. :smile:

Quick Reply