The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they look neater than the badly tied ties one so often sees
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
they look neater than the badly tied ties one so often sees

I agree - I don't understand why people would wear their ties wrongly in the first place. Why does "expressing yourself" have to equate to looking untidy and in some cases downright stupid?
Original post by Stuart93
I agree - I don't understand why people would wear their ties wrongly in the first place. Why does "expressing yourself" have to equate to looking untidy and in some cases downright stupid?

I assume because they're kids.
Reply 4
Original post by milienhaus
I assume because they're kids.

Kids can understand what looks good and what doesn't in terms of clothing and understand what's acceptable and what's not.
Kids can understand what looks good and what doesn't in terms of clothing and understand what's acceptable and what's not.

But their priorities may not be to look like nice young men/ women and instead to look rebellious and cool. I personally dont think it's that big a deal, who wasn't an idiot at 13?
Reply 6
I think clip-on ties are pretty pointless. Everyone has the ability to tie a tie. In some cases some people will only learn how to tie a tie at school.

As for the choking thing, I do not remember buying a tie and it coming with a health warning.
Reply 7

They are kids, what do you expect?

So a teacher says "put this piece of fabric arround you neck in this specific way" and kids are going to do that? The kids will resents it. When some older kid wears it slightly different to piss off people who find it "unacceptable" and the other kids will copy it.

The whole point is it is kind of an unnaceptable way of wearing what is, if I'm honest, a stupid peice of clothing in the first place.

Kids get to a certain age and start pushing back at people dictating them what to do - its a natural part of growing up. Younger kids get on the bandwagon because they imitate the cool older kids.

I hated my uniform at school - I would look as scruffy as possible at all times lol. I did art a lot and had paint all over most of it, it was far too big for me and when it got to the end of school quite a lot of rips in it... Who cared? Not really anyone - I was a good student and was older so the teachers didn't give a monkies, yeah I probably looked silly but I thought the uniform was stupid anyway...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Stupid things.

-> They won't learn how to tie a tie properly.

-> Its a draconian measure that attempts to make kids 'look smarter' without actually teaching them the value of making themselves look 'smart' of their own volition.

-> They look stupid and you can spot a clip-on from a mile away compared to a real tie.

-> Uniforms, especially ones with ties involved, are ridiculous byproducts of an age where education was based on industrialism.
Reply 9
Original post by milienhaus
But their priorities may not be to look like nice young men/ women and instead to look rebellious and cool. I personally dont think it's that big a deal, who wasn't an idiot at 13?

I didn't really go in for that style so I think that clip-on ties would be a good idea - it's been proven that smart attire increases school performance and exam results, seems a shame to spend money on a uniform then have it neglected. Surely the purpose of a uniform is a) to make everyone the same b) to create a professional atmosphere. Without clip-on ties you don't have either of those!
I am just glad i never had to wear them :p: but, then, again it's not so bad, so i probably wouldn't have mind!
This is how they like to wear it:
_44387994_gall_schooltie_bbc.jpg
Reply 12
in my school, everyone used to do the ties really short, the school got really annoyed so we have Velcro ties :/
Reply 13
Original post by izzaha
in my school, everyone used to do the ties really short, the school got really annoyed so we have Velcro ties :/

Velcro? How does that work? That must look a bit cheap and nasty.

And I think the ideal situation would be not to have clip-on ties but on many occasions it's the only way to enforce proper attire :smile:
Reply 14
Sorry, but rocking up with a full windsor knot is so much more badass
i dont see the point in them theyre down right lazy, if youre going to wear a tie you should know how to tie one, after all it isnt rocket science is it.. plus theyre going to have to know how to wear a real tie later on in life..
Reply 16
Original post by jamboogy

My dad taught me how to do it before I started secondary school, I was the only one in my class that could do it :cool:
Original post by Doskey
My dad taught me how to do it before I started secondary school, I was the only one in my class that could do it :cool:

I was taught how to tie a tie the day before my first day at secondary. :tongue:
It's so shameful to see how this generation can't even do their own ties.

"Clip on ties". Pft what will it be next? Flip flops because kids can't do their laces.

Utter disgrace.
Reply 19
Original post by jamboogy

Original post by calumsteele1
i dont see the point in them theyre down right lazy, if youre going to wear a tie you should know how to tie one, after all it isnt rocket science is it.. plus theyre going to have to know how to wear a real tie later on in life..

I was a windsor knot guy from my first day at secondary :P it's a skill for life.

Original post by blueray
It's so shameful to see how this generation can't even do their own ties.

"Clip on ties". Pft what will it be next? Flip flops because kids can't do their laces.

Utter disgrace.

It's true, it should be taught at the first day of school - could be a good ice breaker and a chance for the staff to highlight the importance of wearing uniform properly.

As everyone has said, it needs to start with the older pupils - and those who aren't prepared to comply should be issued with clip-on ties until they can prove they can tie a tie! (Additionally they should be tucking in their shirts, buttoning them up to the collar and not rolling up sleeves etc.)

Latest