The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you believe in a superior race?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dont Tread On Me
I find it hard to believe that through evolution of humans the only thing that has changed is skin colour, and to a lesser extent, bone structures. Is it not plausible that the intellectual capacity of certain races has evolved beyond those of others, creating an intellectually superior race?

Yes, with the conditional that the coming technological wave will render the degree of differences between human races insignificant compared to a human with extensive cybernetic enchancements. Also the singular for superior race is misinformed, two such races exist in East Asia and Europe respectively.

These differences exist and are very real. They're also soon to be irrelevant, on the basis of impending racial obsolescence we should take no action over the differences between races.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Yes, racial characteristics vary, and there have been studies into that fact. However, when considered alongside environmental factors, it's difficult to get an accurate depiction of any real level of racial intelligence.

So simple answer, in practice, yes there are some races with higher average IQs than others, however whether this is down to racial attributes or environmental factors is a subject of much debate.
Reply 22
I believe in the vulcans :proud:
There are no superior races, only superior individuals.

That said, 'superior' is a vague term and often associated with arrogance. Humans all have a level of foundational equality, for sure.
I don't do so well in races
Reply 25
I'm mixed race, I feel like superman! :u:
Original post by karateworm
I'm saying that anyone with a basic grasp on evolution knows that the humans species has existed for a fragment of a second on the evolutionary scale. Biological differences are aesthetic, there is no such thing as race... only different combinations of physical characteristics.

Your half-baked ramblings belong in a stupider time.

Why on earth would they only be aesthetic? Genetic differences are arbitrary - if skin colour can vary so can running ability or brain power, at least to the small extent that the same number of genes are involved.

However, I agree with you in the sense that such differences as far as humans are concerned are almost irrelevant. There is far more variation between individuals or men and women than there is between races, and race is a spectrum anyway, so any classification is human. Trying to claim there is a superior race is unhelpful and untrue, and the domain of harbingers of hate and violence.
Reply 27
Original post by RyanT
Slight problem for you - global scientific advancement dominated by caucasians.

But don't let that get in the way of a good sterotype :wink:

Yes, because Caucasians have the capital to go ahead with research. Like my third point. If everyone was deprived of research equipment and facilities, my second point is true.
Reply 28
Original post by RyanT
Yes, with the conditional that the coming technological wave will render the degree of differences between human races insignificant compared to a human with extensive cybernetic enchancements. Also the singular for superior race is misinformed, two such races exist in East Asia and Europe respectively.

These differences exist and are very real. They're also soon to be irrelevant, on the basis of impending racial obsolescence we should take no action over the differences between races.

These cybernetic enchancements will probably be banned for, "ethical reasons" theoretically because electrical signals can travel faster through synthetic materials and they do neurones, people who can afford more of this augmentation could experience the world at a slower pace to other people :awesome:

Why hasn't Europe always been ahead of the middle east if they're an intellectually superior race? and do you believe in any differences between Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and white caucasians?
Reply 29
Original post by TheHansa
These cybernetic enchancements will probably be banned for, "ethical reasons" theoretically because electrical signals can travel faster through synthetic materials and they do neurones, people who can afford more of this augmentation could experience the world at a slower pace to other people :awesome:

There will always be a part of the world where you could pay to have the enchancements :biggrin:

Original post by TheHansa
Why hasn't Europe always been ahead of the middle east if they're an intellectually superior race? and do you believe in any differences between Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and white caucasians?

Firstly I'd say the middle easterners are still (half) caucausian.

I don't think individuals are that much brighter, just if you take a group of 100 of each that racial differences become apparent. It's easy to see that with enough laws in place, a group of intelligent people in society of a less intelligent race can still form threshold groups. 10,000,000 peasants and 1,000 intellectuals all gathered in the central city still beats 5,000 intellectuals spread out in hamlets across Europe. Progress is often linked to population density, but what you do once you achieve that I'd say is weakly race linked. By weakly linked, I'd say the race is a smaller factor then culture and social structure.

Of course there's big differences between East Asians and Caucausians? Two different forks from the same point that have arrived at broadly similar places on the other side.

We shouldn't forget that 10/11ths of human racial diversity is found within sub-saharan africa. East Asians and Caucasians are less of a distinct race then many of the regions in Africa are from each other. In particular both groups are hybrids with other branches of humanity (neanderthals) - the background rate of such genes in Europe is 4% and they also exist in the East Asian population. Completely absent from sub-saharan Africans.

People who say racial differences don't exist are being idealogically dogmatic, we can see with our own eyes and experiences that differences are there.
Reply 30
Original post by RyanT
There will always be a part of the world where you could pay to have the enchancements :biggrin:

Firstly I'd say the middle easterners are still (half) caucausian.

I don't think individuals are that much brighter, just if you take a group of 100 of each that racial differences become apparent. It's easy to see that with enough laws in place, a group of intelligent people in society of a less intelligent race can still form threshold groups. 10,000,000 peasants and 1,000 intellectuals all gathered in the central city still beats 5,000 intellectuals spread out in hamlets across Europe. Progress is often linked to population density, but what you do once you achieve that I'd say is weakly race linked. By weakly linked, I'd say the race is a smaller factor then culture and social structure.

Of course there's big differences between East Asians and Caucausians? Two different forks from the same point that have arrived at broadly similar places on the other side.

We shouldn't forget that 10/11ths of human racial diversity is found within sub-saharan africa. East Asians and Caucasians are less of a distinct race then many of the regions in Africa are from each other. In particular both groups are hybrids with other branches of humanity (neanderthals) - the background rate of such genes in Europe is 4% and they also exist in the East Asian population. Completely absent from sub-saharan Africans.

People who say racial differences don't exist are being idealogically dogmatic, we can see with our own eyes and experiences that differences are there.

You are a bigoted moron. Have a nice day.
Reply 31
I'm saying that anyone with a basic grasp on evolution knows that the humans species has existed for a fragment of a second on the evolutionary scale. Biological differences are aesthetic, there is no such thing as race... only different combinations of physical characteristics.

/thread
Reply 32
Of cour
Reply 33
Of course not, who would believe in such rubbish ?
No, I do believe in the existence of a superior race or races. However, I do believe in the existence of superior cultures as some seem more inclined towards progressive modes of thinking. But a way of thinking is not exclusive to a specific race, that's a preposterous idea.
Reply 35

When you say that biological variations are purely aesthetic, are suggesting, for example, that darkly pigmented skin doesn’t protect against ultraviolet light exposure? Are you suggesting that, under equal exposure to sunlight, light-skinned people aren’t up to 10 times as likely to develop skin cancers? Are white South Africans and Australians not exponentially more at risk to skin cancers than their respective indigenous populations?

A trait survives and is passed on if it has a practical, evolutionary value to a population; selective pressures do not operate on the basis of aesthetic quality.

Likewise, is it not possible that human populations in higher latitudes evolved to possess a higher average intelligence than those in lower latitudes in order to accommodate, for example, greater seasonal variations? Does a harsh winter not necessitate foresight and planning during the temperate months to guarantee survival?

As it stands, study after study has shown that there is a racial hierarchy of IQ averages. When one takes into consideration that the scientific consensus on the heritability of IQ is that it is 0.75 or higher, it quickly becomes apparent that we’re dealing chiefly with genetic factors and not the product of inferior modes of culture.

You may be interested to note that whites are not the race that possesses the highest average IQ; East Asian and Ashkenazi Jewish populations are several points ahead of their European counterparts. I do not, as a white European myself, feel emasculated by this knowledge; these are simply facts of life that must be acknowledged before any genuine dialogue on race can occur.

As for the question of superiority: there is no singular superior race as distinct populations have evolved to address different evolutionary challenges. The aforementioned dark skin of Sub-Saharan Africans makes them uniquely disposed towards high levels of sunlight that certainly makes them superior to other races in terms of adaptation to ultraviolet light, but not superior in general terms; likewise, the higher IQ of an East Asian makes them better adapted to cognitive challenges than other races, but if planted in the tropics they would fair little better than whites when it comes to skin cancers.
Original post by Swanbow
Ashkenazi Jews tend to be very intelligent. The Nepalese tend to be brilliant soldiers. Superior in what way? Although genetics might play a part in slight differences of races, such as bone structure and what not, I believe it is rather culture and environment that leads to 'differences' in races.

Being minted and having a cultural emphasis on academics probably helps the Ashkenazi Jews.
The entire Nepalese warrior myth is built pretty much solely from the exploits of the British Brigade of Gurkhas. It's insane selection, training and discliplinary standards is what makes them brilliant soldiers. That no more makes the average Nepali a brilliant soldier than the standards of the Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment makes obese Bob the plasterer from down the road a naturally brilliant soldier.
The OP is Hitler, and I claim a copy of Mein Kampf.

Spoiler

Original post by Dont Tread On Me
So are you saying that evolution has had no effect what so ever on the brain?
Individuals are individuals, not groups; individual intelligence is individual intelligence, not collective intelligence.
Reply 39
Original post by pol pot noodles
Being minted and having a cultural emphasis on academics probably helps the Ashkenazi Jews.
The entire Nepalese warrior myth is built pretty much solely from the exploits of the British Brigade of Gurkhas. It's insane selection, training and discliplinary standards is what makes them brilliant soldiers. That no more makes the average Nepali a brilliant soldier than the standards of the Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment makes obese Bob the plasterer from down the road a naturally brilliant soldier.

Of course a lot of it is to do with training, but the hard life in Nepal living in the mountains is what conditions them to pass this selection. I was also reading somewhere that the Gurkhas are able to spot a lot more in Afghanistan, like a fake homestead being used by the Taliban because village life in rural Nepal is similar to that in Afghanistan. Plus considering until recently Nepal was in civil war it's fair to say they have their share of seasoned veterans.

Latest

Trending

Trending