The Student Room Group

Anyone that took aqa as history his1b in jan 2012

hey well so on Tuesday I'm sitting my His1b paper (1483-1529) and I'm trying to hazard a guess as to what might be in the paper. However, we haven't had access to the jan 12 one so could people who sat it try to possibly remember what was in it. Thank you!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I didn't take this exam in January but I am on tuesday. it is a colossal amount to revise isn't it!

The questions were:

Explain why Richard's position as king was insecure in 1484

How important was parliament for Henry VII consolidation of royal authority up to 1487

explain why the cornish rebellion was a threat to Henry

How important was the desire to gain international recognition to Henry 1489 - 1509

explain why wolsey gained great power in the early years of Henry VIII's reihn

how important were Wolsey's enemies in his fall from power.

I hope this helps. Do you have any notes on Wolsey's domestic policy? I am really struggling with it.
Reply 2
Thank you so much you don't realise how much I appreciate it!!!! Hmmm well wolseys domestic policy is odd as the Henry Viii section is mainly concentrated around foreign policy/Wolsey and the church. Look at the amicable grant and things like that for domestic policy
Reply 3
I have decided to take a gamble by not revising Henry VIII and only on Henry VII. If Foreign policy, rebellions/threats or Richard III/Bosworth comes up. I think i'l be fine.

I don't expect there to be one on trade this time around, as it's came up in the last 3..
Reply 4
Original post by izzywilson123
Thank you so much you don't realise how much I appreciate it!!!! Hmmm well wolseys domestic policy is odd as the Henry Viii section is mainly concentrated around foreign policy/Wolsey and the church. Look at the amicable grant and things like that for domestic policy

You're welcome :smile: thanks for your advice too I think I am going to do minimal revison for Wolsey and Henry VIII, hopefully the right questions will come up.
Reply 5
No revision for Wolsey and Henry VIII for me :smile: , but I would suggest you plan practice essay answers for all of the different topics. That way you'll be prepared if your questions come up. I'm pretty good at cracking what could come up on the paper.

I nailed my 'Life in Nazi Germany' revision and focuses on war time and economy as I didn't have much time to revise... just did 2 days of revision for it, (approx 5 hours) and came out with a B. So structure your essays out well, and keep a concise structure and argument within your essay. Remember to have some form of a debate too with historical evidence to back you up.
Reply 6
Hey guys, would much appreciate a bit of help with this one!
How are you all revising for the "historical interpretations" part? I have really limited resources on this, I'm studying from home, doing this as a re-sit and when I did it first time around i'm sure you didn't have to show knowledge of historiography!

Are they looking for a general awareness or your opinion/statement back up by an explicit historian and their view?

Could anyone give an example if their teacher has explained how to do this? From what I understand of the mark scheme it's only expected in the 24 markers..

I'm fine on the knowledge aspect and I'm worried that if I miss out this historians opinions malarky my mark will really suffer.
Reply 7
Well in the aqa text book there is loads of historiography, do you have that? If not jut google like 'Henry vii trade historiography' and you get some quite good results :-)
Reply 8
Original post by Monkey9
Could anyone give an example if their teacher has explained how to do this? From what I understand of the mark scheme it's only expected in the 24 markers.

A fairly useful tip I was given by my tutor, for the 24 marker, is to start your point (new paragraph) with a historical interpretation; explain the relevance of point; evaluate the point either with your own, or another historians opinion; link explicitly to the question.
Evaluation is essential to both 12 mark and 24 mark questions, and the quintessential skill is to make your evaluative points really REALLY explicit.
These tips certainly worked in my favour (got an A)... Good Luck!!!
Reply 9
Thanks guys! I do have the aqa book yes, and it does have some info but not for every topic. For example, a lot on Wolsey's foreign policy and Henry VII's management of the nobles, but not so much for others. Do they want specific names and books or just this sort of thing:

"There is the historical opinion that Henry VII alienated key nobles, failing to take advantage of Richard III's unpopularity or to appreciate how essential the noble families were to successful kingship, exemplified by his vigorous use of Acts of Attainder, bonds and recognisances which caused him to be unpopular"

And then do you need to say "on the other hand, there is the alternative opinion of historians who claim he ruled the nobility justly, and his actions were necessary to prevent them becoming over mighty"

Or do you just present "one" point of view and not both? So sorry to be a pain! Its really got me in a pickle!
Hey Guys, just to point out, you probably won't need Henry VIII; although I have learned it, as Richard has not come up in the last couple of papers so he will most probably come up today.

Having said that; Wolsey's Domestic Policy is the most likely question to appear.

And for Richard i'm going to go ahead and predict a 24marker about his fall from power.

As for Henry VII his 24mark will be something regarding the Control of the Nobility; i.e. How was far was the application of finances important in Henry VII's control of the nobility.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Monkey9
Hey guys, would much appreciate a bit of help with this one!
How are you all revising for the "historical interpretations" part? I have really limited resources on this, I'm studying from home, doing this as a re-sit and when I did it first time around i'm sure you didn't have to show knowledge of historiography!

Are they looking for a general awareness or your opinion/statement back up by an explicit historian and their view?

Could anyone give an example if their teacher has explained how to do this? From what I understand of the mark scheme it's only expected in the 24 markers..

I'm fine on the knowledge aspect and I'm worried that if I miss out this historians opinions malarky my mark will really suffer.

Historical Interpretation is only a minor point, you can easily achieve 20/24 without any historical interpretation. Historical interpretation can include a quote: "Terrifying system of suspended Penalties" Regarding Henry VII by J.R Lander or can simply by a comment of affirmation, for example; However Christine Carpenter disagreed with this view and believed that Henry VII had no knowledge of the relationship between Nobility and King (perhaps due to living in exile) and this led to the tyrannical relationship established, epitomised by the Council Learned under Empson and Dudley.
Reply 12
Original post by Me-A-Doctor?
Hey Guys, just to point out, you probably won't need Henry VIII; although I have learned it, as Richard has not come up in the last couple of papers so he will most probably come up today.

Having said that; Wolsey's Domestic Policy is the most likely question to appear.

And for Richard i'm going to go ahead and predict a 24marker about his fall from power.

As for Henry VII his 24mark will be something regarding the Control of the Nobility; i.e. How was far was the application of finances important in Henry VII's control of the nobility.

Hope that helps.

Yes I think Henry VII and control of nobility is pretty likely in some form.. as well as Wolsey's domestic or foreign policy.

Hopefully Richard will come up, that's one of the easiest. Thanks for your example of historical interpretations, great help! Good luck tomorrow everyone!
Reply 13
Well AQA have tried to make it unpredictable. So I feel they will miss out Nobility this time around, and will pluck in a question 'How far was Henry VII's foreign policy successful in the years 1485-1509?' for the 24 marker.

It could go either way, good luck everyone. Would love a question on Richard!! :biggrin: The aqa textbook is amazing, my teacher lent her copy to me, so I can revise from it. I'm hoping that I can get a good mark in this!

Please can someone give me a short overview of what Henry VII did with the nobility, and give some examples :smile: It would really help me. These next 3 hours will be dedicated to revising How Henry controlled the Nobility!!
Reply 14
Has anyone by any chance got any examples of Historiography on Richard III please, i have the aqa book but can't seem to find anything :confused:

Thank you :smile:
x
Reply 15
Original post by rlw12
Has anyone by any chance got any examples of Historiography on Richard III please, i have the aqa book but can't seem to find anything :confused:

Thank you :smile:
x

Michael Jones - for Richard's actions of charging down the field at Bosworth - 'Richard placed his family traditions ahead of contemporary society's values' - Although that is paraphrased to an extent, and sums up what he is trying to say.

You can argue through this that he was not intellectual at Bosworth, his move was fatal and decisive for a cautious military commander like Richard, and what he means by family traditions is that Richards father made a similar move which killed him, and he made this move for family honour, in order to avenge his fathers death.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Char Wari
Well AQA have tried to make it unpredictable. So I feel they will miss out Nobility this time around, and will pluck in a question 'How far was Henry VII's foreign policy successful in the years 1485-1509?' for the 24 marker.

It could go either way, good luck everyone. Would love a question on Richard!! :biggrin: The aqa textbook is amazing, my teacher lent her copy to me, so I can revise from it. I'm hoping that I can get a good mark in this!

Please can someone give me a short overview of what Henry VII did with the nobility, and give some examples :smile: It would really help me. These next 3 hours will be dedicated to revising How Henry controlled the Nobility!!

They asked Control of the Nobility in some form in the specification JAN09, JUNE10, and they haven't since, instead it has focused on Royal Authority, which it was for the last three papers (JAN 11,jun11, JAN12) thus I think it'll be control of nobility. It could be Henry VII Foreign Policy but they have yet to ask about that?
Also for your points on control of the nobility check the mark schemes for the papers I mentioned and visit http://l.md/ke
Reply 18
Original post by Char Wari
Michael Jones - for Richard's actions of charging down the field at Bosworth - 'Richard placed his family traditions ahead of contemporary society's values' - Although that is paraphrased to an extent, and sums up what he is trying to say.

You can argue through this that he was not intellectual at Bosworth, his move was fatal and decisive for a cautious military commander like Richard, and what he means by family traditions is that Richards father made a similar move which killed him, and he made this move for family honour, in order to avenge his fathers death.

Thank you! :smile: x
Reply 19
I'm also worried that Government and the Church might make an appearance. I sincerely hope not :frown:!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending