The Student Room Group

Receptionist interview

Hi, I have a receptionist interview in a few days time, does anyone have any advice? Im thinking of wearing smart black trousers and a white blouse.. also would it be advisable to have hair up or down? lol, thanks
hiya
well done on getting your interview! wear something smart, what you said sounds good :smile:
I dont think your hair is the most important thing, just as long as it is smart. Does it look smarter up or down? If it's really long, up might be better, but i wouldn't stress too much about it.

think about answers to obvious questions that they will ask -
why do you want to be a receptionist?
can you tell us about when you helped somebody?
can you tell us about when you used your initiative?
where do you see yourself in five years time?
what do you like to do in your spare time?
what would you do if.... somebody complained / was rude to you / etc

these are just examples, and knowing my luck they'll ask something completely different, but it's worth thinking about these sort of things before you go in

good luck xxx
Reply 2
Yeah that sounds smart enough, if you wore a black blazer that would top it off as well but it is not essential. Your hair doesn't really matter a long as it is neat thats all.

Being a receptionist the interview would look for someone who has great interpersonal and communication skills. They are look for someone who is able to build rapports with clients very easily, someone who can emphasise and show a friendly face as soon as a client walks in as you are their first point of contact. Someone who has telephone etiquette and is professional as well as have a good sense of humour. Make sure you are always smiling, but not hysterically lol, make it natural.

Be prepared for questions like:
What attributes do you posses that we would be looking for?
What can you bring to own company?
What duties do you think a receptionist holds?
Share your relevant past experiences that will benefit you in this job?
Give an example of a time when you was faced with a difficult situation and how did you overcome it?
What is you opinion of good service?

All the best with your interview! :biggrin:
I'm working as a receptionist at the moment full time. To my interview I wore smart black trousers, a grey/black/white shirt from Next :wink: and plain black court shoes. I wore my hair down (straight) but make sure you don't fiddle with it - if you're more comfortable wearing it up then do so!

I mainly got asked about my organisational skills and how I worked in a team. I was very enthusiastic about prioritising my work and I tried to show them a bit of my personality.
I also had a typing test but not sure if you will or not? If you do, don't panic just concentrate and do your best. :smile:

Try not to stutter/mix up your words - I know it's nerve racking but part of the role will be to answer the phones throughout the day and they need to see you have the confidence to do so :smile:

GOOD LUCK!
Reply 4
Original post by dr.phalange
I'm working as a receptionist at the moment full time. To my interview I wore smart black trousers, a grey/black/white shirt from Next :wink: and plain black court shoes. I wore my hair down (straight) but make sure you don't fiddle with it - if you're more comfortable wearing it up then do so!

I mainly got asked about my organisational skills and how I worked in a team. I was very enthusiastic about prioritising my work and I tried to show them a bit of my personality.
I also had a typing test but not sure if you will or not? If you do, don't panic just concentrate and do your best. :smile:

Try not to stutter/mix up your words - I know it's nerve racking but part of the role will be to answer the phones throughout the day and they need to see you have the confidence to do so :smile:

GOOD LUCK!

Original post by Swindon
Yeah that sounds smart enough, if you wore a black blazer that would top it off as well but it is not essential. Your hair doesn't really matter a long as it is neat thats all.

Being a receptionist the interview would look for someone who has great interpersonal and communication skills. They are look for someone who is able to build rapports with clients very easily, someone who can emphasise and show a friendly face as soon as a client walks in as you are their first point of contact. Someone who has telephone etiquette and is professional as well as have a good sense of humour. Make sure you are always smiling, but not hysterically lol, make it natural.

Be prepared for questions like:
What attributes do you posses that we would be looking for?
What can you bring to own company?
What duties do you think a receptionist holds?
Share your relevant past experiences that will benefit you in this job?
Give an example of a time when you was faced with a difficult situation and how did you overcome it?
What is you opinion of good service?

All the best with your interview! :biggrin:

Original post by HeatherJarvo
hiya
well done on getting your interview! wear something smart, what you said sounds good :smile:
I dont think your hair is the most important thing, just as long as it is smart. Does it look smarter up or down? If it's really long, up might be better, but i wouldn't stress too much about it.

think about answers to obvious questions that they will ask -
why do you want to be a receptionist?
can you tell us about when you helped somebody?
can you tell us about when you used your initiative?
where do you see yourself in five years time?
what do you like to do in your spare time?
what would you do if.... somebody complained / was rude to you / etc

these are just examples, and knowing my luck they'll ask something completely different, but it's worth thinking about these sort of things before you go in

good luck xxx

Thanks for all the responses :smile: Ive got a black blazer, black trousers, red blouse and low heels... i hope this will be ok! also, im thinking of bringing a copy of my cv to give them a hardcopy, and also these references from past work experience.. good idea? thanks
Reply 5
Original post by number23
Thanks for all the responses :smile: Ive got a black blazer, black trousers, red blouse and low heels... i hope this will be ok! also, im thinking of bringing a copy of my cv to give them a hardcopy, and also these references from past work experience.. good idea? thanks

I think that should be perfect! Yeah I always bring a hard copy of my CV to interviews just incase they can't find the one that I sent. If your CV has your references on it, then I would bother bring an additional one but if now then defo bring it. There's no such thing as being overly prepared :smile:
Original post by number23

Definitely take a copy of your CV, any references would be great too it would really show that you want the position.
Clothes sound fine too! Just be yourself and good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending