The Student Room Group

Is AABCDD (and two Dis* in BTECs) rubbish GCSE results...?

A Eng Lang
A Eng Lit
B Food Tech (compulsory)
C Maths
D French
D History

If so would;

AABBBBDD make up for it?

The added Bs are in Astronomy, Science and Higher Maths.
Reply 1
Original post by GrantG
A Eng Lang
A Eng Lit
B Food Tech (compulsory)
C Maths
D French
D History

If so would;

AABBBBDD make up for it?

How many GCSEs are the BTECS worth?-they are fully accepted as GCSEs,so you've got at least 2A*s and an A in English Language and a B in Maths sounds pretty good.
Reply 2
Original post by Dalek1099
How many GCSEs are the BTECS worth?-they are fully accepted as GCSEs,so you've got at least 2A*s and an A in English Language and a B in Maths sounds pretty good.

IT 2 GCSEs
Science 4 GCSEs

The AABCDD were from when I attended a ****ty state school.

I am now at a brilliant college and have gotten the GCSEs up to Bs :smile:

However I still have to put AABBBBCCD on UCAS? Will the B matter? I will be applying for Eng at UEA, Exeter, Sussex, Kent and Leicester.
Reply 3
Original post by GrantG
IT 2 GCSEs
Science 4 GCSEs

The AABCDD were from when I attended a ****ty state school.

I am now at a brilliant college and have gotten the GCSEs up to Bs :smile:

However I still have to put AABBBBCCD on UCAS? Will the B matter? I will be applying for Eng at UEA, Exeter, Sussex, Kent and Leicester.

You have to include all completed GCSEs,on UCAS and 6A*s,including an A in English Language and a B in Maths,the B in Maths is probably the only slightly bad thing and some unnecessary failed GCSEs,which probably won't ruin your life-most people will have a lot worse GCSEs than you.
Reply 4
You have to include all completed GCSEs,on UCAS and 6A*s,including an A in English Language and a B in Maths,the B in Maths is probably the only slightly bad thing and some unnecessary failed GCSEs,which probably won't ruin your life-most people will have a lot worse GCSEs than you.

No they aren't. They are equivalent to GCSEs; they are not accepted in lieu of GCSEs.
Reply 6
They're good Universities I would say that A levels are much more important than GCSEs I know someone who applied for sussex for english as a mature student and was asked for AAA so its more about how confident you are for A levels which are far harder than GCSEs

Im always a bit skeptical about BTECs i cant help but feel universities are still prejudiced against them, I have a BTEC in public services which i got a Dis* in and it only took me 2 days to achieve whereas i know some people spend 2 years doing, that's not a criticism of the course but rather how it is administered i certainly don't think the amount of work i put in was worth 4 A*s but I wouldn't doubt that if I spent 2 years doing it, it may well be.

anyway rant about not convention qualifications aside predicted A level grades are more important and just do your best, I did alot better than I was predicted at GCSE so you may be surprised.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by GrantG

Naa a B is decent mate :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by GrantG

most universities only want a C from what I've heard unless your going to a top uni. I've applied for maths and unis only want a B in GCSE maths from what I've seen :smile: So yeah it's pretty decent and won't hold you back unless your aiming very high :smile:
Reply 9
Most courses at most universities care very little about GCSE's. Mine were terrible, way worse than yours, and still got 5 offers from decent universities including Sussex.

You got C+ in Maths and English which is the main thing and (kind of) meet the 5 A-C GSCE requirement.
Reply 10
Original post by Beebumble
Most courses at most universities care very little about GCSE's. Mine were terrible, way worse than yours, and still got 5 offers from decent universities including Sussex.

You got C+ in Maths and English which is the main thing and (kind of) meet the 5 A-C GSCE requirement.

What were yours :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by GrantG
A Eng Lang
A Eng Lit
B Food Tech (compulsory)
C Maths
D French
D History

If so would;

AABBBBDD make up for it?

6 A*-B is very good, and you've got two As in the subject that you want to study at university. Also, if you add the BTECs, you've got 2 A*s on top of that. If you don't mind me asking, what A-Levels do you do?
No.
Original post by GrantG
A Eng Lang
A Eng Lit
B Food Tech (compulsory)
C Maths
D French
D History

If so would;

AABBBBDD make up for it?

That's above the national average, so you should be happy. I wouldn't compare yourself to members of the student room; generally not very representative of all students.
It's great that you've managed to push up some of your grades - don't worry about them at all, they're really good!
Original post by GrantG
What were yours :smile:

BCCDDEF:colondollar:

That should make you feel better.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest