The Student Room Group

Under soooooooooooooooo much stress Please HELP!! Course Change Related

So much ****ing **** as stress!!!

Can anyone please help me out here, I have a huge problem.

So I am first year studying a humanities subject at uni.

However sciences had always been my favorite subjects (not chem all the same, more physics) however I foolishly didn't take them to A-level (biggest mistake of my life)

So instead of continuing down a path which I feel is not going to benefit me and one I feel I shouldn't be on I am going to go back to college at take maths and physics A-levels.

I had planned on returning to the same uni I am at, however today they told me they want all the A-levels in the same sitting, mine 1/3 of mine obviously is from an eariler date.

This has devastated me as I really wanted to go back there.

I have applied for an access cert. in foundation engineering in just one year, however as my application is late and I'm not here until mid-july after next week I may not get on this course. Even if I did, the uni probably has a cap as to how many access course students they take, and they will only let me do the BEng.

They gave me the option of the 'uni specific' access course, I do maths modules through them, however only 2 places last year got onto the course I wanted plus they were probably people who lost a leg saving a baby from a shark and had to take time out of education, those type. Plus, again no MEng.

I'm going to apply for foundation courses tomorrow, these again (if still taking applicants) are probably looking for either the tragic story type or those that have been working as craft engineers since post-16 and decided to go to uni.

Aberdeen offer a summer school with entry onto the engineering course and as I apply through UCAS (getting admissions to make a note) they can give me a conditional offer and therefore if I get one, my place is safe, in other words I wouldn't have to compete with the other access course students.

I really am in a ****ing mess right now :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bestofyou

However sciences had always been my favorite subjects (not chem all the same, more physics) however I foolishly didn't take them to A-level (biggest mistake of my life)

So instead of continuing down a path which I feel is not going to benefit me and one I feel I shouldn't be on I am going to go back to college at take maths and physics A-levels.

I had planned on returning to the same uni I am at, however today they told me they want all the A-levels in the same sitting, mine 1/3 of mine obviously is from an eariler date.

I have applied for an access cert. in foundation engineering in just one year, however as my application is late and I'm not here until mid-july after next week I may not get on this course. Even if I did, the uni probably has a cap as to how many access course students they take, and they will only let me do the BEng.

They gave me the option of the 'uni specific' access course, I do maths modules through them, however only 2 places last year got onto the course I wanted plus they were probably people who lost a leg saving a baby from a shark and had to take time out of education, those type. Plus, again no MEng.

I'm going to apply for foundation courses tomorrow, these again (if still taking applicants) are probably looking for either the tragic story type or those that have been working as craft engineers since post-16 and decided to go to uni.

Aberdeen offer a summer school with entry onto the engineering course and as I apply through UCAS (getting admissions to make a note) they can give me a conditional offer and therefore if I get one, my place is safe, in other words I wouldn't have to compete with the other access course students.

I think some of the comments on here are really not very supportive and even a bit rude, but from what i can understand (since im only in sixth form) my advice is to first of all calm down and breathe because things are always easier when you think from a cool mind :smile:
I can understand how frustrated you are and I also like physics very much
one of my friends had a similar situation to you and i think she just dropped everything and applied to do her A-levels again and if you're really that desperate and they're asking for all of your A-levels to be at the same time then maybe just do that module again? :/
I may not be the best at helping atm, but i felt bad no one else was helping and i wanted to offer some advice
and what you said about only get Beng.. thats still fantastic and Im sure you'll be allowed to do it and if not you're still young and if you are enthusiastic enough then just do the A-level thing i suggested? I'll help I promise :biggrin:
guys shut up this dude is obviously in a mess

Well, calm down.

I'm not really sure what the problem is. I realise its stressful, but you do seem to have undertaken some research and have an idea of the best way forward, along with an idea of where you want to end up (taking an MEng); apply for the summer school and foundation courses through UCAS, maybe also consider conventional Access courses rather than your university ones.

You will likely end up at a different university, but there are plenty of ways to get onto an MEng - not everywhere will insist on all A-levels being taken at the same sitting. That said, that rule usually applies to if you retake them; if you take up completely different subjects at a later date, it often doesn't, so check with your university.
Reply 4

Before coming to this conclusion think carefully about the current subject your doing now, why is it so stressful? Is there any basic solutions?

Because I had a similar issue, I ended up doing a BEng instead of a social science degree, but I've enjoyed it.

QMUL do a foundation year, to get in to one of there courses is roughly 55% in specific modules. And I know someone who got it in clearing.
And I recall my other mate got a offer at Sheffield for EEE at 60%.

Have you also thought about the possible stresses of changing degrees and learning new skills in those fields?
Reply 5
Original post by Saleha
I think some of the comments on here are really not very supportive and even a bit rude, but from what i can understand (since im only in sixth form) my advice is to first of all calm down and breathe because things are always easier when you think from a cool mind :smile:
I can understand how frustrated you are and I also like physics very much
one of my friends had a similar situation to you and i think she just dropped everything and applied to do her A-levels again and if you're really that desperate and they're asking for all of your A-levels to be at the same time then maybe just do that module again? :/
I may not be the best at helping atm, but i felt bad no one else was helping and i wanted to offer some advice
and what you said about only get Beng.. thats still fantastic and Im sure you'll be allowed to do it and if not you're still young and if you are enthusiastic enough then just do the A-level thing i suggested? I'll help I promise :biggrin:

Well as I have no maths and physics then I have to take those no matter what, having only GCSE knowledge of the subjects I will be under enormous stress studying for these subjects as they are rather intense and as I would be taking them in one year as opposed to the standard two years.

The problem with needing the A-levels in one sitting is 3 subjects (even though I have prior A-level knowledge of one) is too much as all my time has to go into the maths and physics in order to get AA. For this reason I am even planning on completing my personal statement before september.

Two years may not be an option, it will cost me about £1500 in tution and exam fees alone, plus £500 travel expenses for the year, something I cannot afford for two years sadly. In this case I may have to look for universities that accept different sittings. Which is sad as I really loved my uni, I had such a great time and even found myself a girlfriend there. If I qualify for the bursary then I may be able to do this,, but they told me they are cutting down on applicants returning to education.

I think my best bet is the foundation courses, however as I said, they will be wanting to see extenuating circumstances or relevant work experience (several years) of which I have neither. So my chances are very silm.

Without a doubt I will happily take a BEng, however if I am having to study for a year I'd rather just do the A-levels and go for MEng.

oh well :frown:

thanks for the help though
Reply 6
Original post by Iqbal007
Before coming to this conclusion think carefully about the current subject your doing now, why is it so stressful? Is there any basic solutions?

Because I had a similar issue, I ended up doing a BEng instead of a social science degree, but I've enjoyed it.

QMUL do a foundation year, to get in to one of there courses is roughly 55% in specific modules. And I know someone who got it in clearing.
And I recall my other mate got a offer at Sheffield for EEE at 60%.

Have you also thought about the possible stresses of changing degrees and learning new skills in those fields?

My current courses ins't stressful. In fact that is why I want to change. I don't feel challenged. I want to be in 9-5, I want to be in the library studying because I will fail if I don't, I want to complain about not being able to wake up at 2pm, I want to study a subject that really makes me think, that gives me great satisfaction when I understand something I previously did not etc etc
QMUL I think ask for A-level maths, or something I don't have anyway.

I am ringing Sheffield tomorrow to see if they are still taking applicants. What do you mean EEE at 60%? 60% pass to get into 1st year? Without a doubt it is worth a shot, but really I'm only applying for these Foundation courses out of a 'don't play can't win' mindset and I would be really suprised if I did get in. Even if I did however I still wouldn't be stress free, I get free fees in Scotland or £3.5k in Ireland, if I go to sheffield I'll pay £36k for a BEng in fees alone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
QMUL I think ask for A-level maths, or something I don't have anyway.

I am ringing Sheffield tomorrow to see if they are still taking applicants. What do you mean EEE at 60%? 60% pass to get into 1st year? Without a doubt it is worth a shot, but really I'm only applying for these Foundation courses out of a 'don't play can't win' mindset and I would be really suprised if I did get in. Even if I did however I still wouldn't be stress free, I get free fees in Scotland or £3.5k in Ireland, if I go to sheffield I'll pay £36k for a BEng in fees alone.

"Admissions requirements vary according to the subject area (i.e. the type of degree you wish to follow after the foundation year) but are lower than the requirements for direct entry to a three-year BSc/BEng degree course. As a general guide, recent school-leavers must normally have at least 240 UCAS points, including passes in two relevant subjects at A2-level, before they can be considered for entry to the SEFP. Offers of entry to some SEFP programme codes may however be significantly higher than this minimum requirement. Higher grades are also generally required of students who have taken A-levels in other subjects and are now looking to make the transition to a degree in science or engineering."
From QMUL site.

My mate did foundation, he got an offer for Electrical and Electronic Engineering, he's required 60% overall to pass I think to get in.
You'll get in, especially of they show up in clearing last year. So being a late applicant shouldn't be an issue.

It would £45k including the foundation year :/
Reply 8
"Admissions requirements vary according to the subject area (i.e. the type of degree you wish to follow after the foundation year) but are lower than the requirements for direct entry to a three-year BSc/BEng degree course. As a general guide, recent school-leavers must normally have at least 240 UCAS points, including passes in two relevant subjects at A2-level, before they can be considered for entry to the SEFP. Offers of entry to some SEFP programme codes may however be significantly higher than this minimum requirement. Higher grades are also generally required of students who have taken A-levels in other subjects and are now looking to make the transition to a degree in science or engineering."
From QMUL site.

My mate did foundation, he got an offer for Electrical and Electronic Engineering, he's required 60% overall to pass I think to get in.
You'll get in, especially of they show up in clearing last year. So being a late applicant shouldn't be an issue.

wait...

you say he 'got an offer' for EEE...[ahh E.E.E. lol, thought you meant A-level EEE, I'm tired]

...anyway, so he got an offer for EEE, meaning that he wasn't guaranteed a place on successful completion of the course?

Because this is a huge weighting factor for me if this is the case, one which I cannot really take a gamble on. If I go into a foundation course Sept 2012 and also have to enter the 2013 UCAS cycle and apply for QMUL, if I get rejected I will end up getting screwed over by SF as I had a year previous study and the foundation year.
Reply 9
From QMUL site.

For students studying A levels, offers are normally in the range 240-300 points (depending on the subjects being studied to advanced level). Offers will be higher for students who have not studied any science subjects at an advanced level

Found it, this applies to me. In the tragic story that is my educational life I only came out with 300pts in non science A-levels. Knew it was something that stopped me getting in here
Well as I have no maths and physics then I have to take those no matter what, having only GCSE knowledge of the subjects I will be under enormous stress studying for these subjects as they are rather intense and as I would be taking them in one year as opposed to the standard two years.

The problem with needing the A-levels in one sitting is 3 subjects (even though I have prior A-level knowledge of one) is too much as all my time has to go into the maths and physics in order to get AA. For this reason I am even planning on completing my personal statement before september.

Two years may not be an option, it will cost me about £1500 in tution and exam fees alone, plus £500 travel expenses for the year, something I cannot afford for two years sadly. In this case I may have to look for universities that accept different sittings. Which is sad as I really loved my uni, I had such a great time and even found myself a girlfriend there. If I qualify for the bursary then I may be able to do this,, but they told me they are cutting down on applicants returning to education.

I think my best bet is the foundation courses, however as I said, they will be wanting to see extenuating circumstances or relevant work experience (several years) of which I have neither. So my chances are very silm.

Without a doubt I will happily take a BEng, however if I am having to study for a year I'd rather just do the A-levels and go for MEng.

Some universities let you change from BEng to MEng in the third year. I was told by my course administrator if I was going to change to mechanical engineering after my foundation I could still do the MEng.
Reply 11
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Some universities let you change from BEng to MEng in the third year. I was told by my course administrator if I was going to change to mechanical engineering after my foundation I could still do the MEng.

what uni are you at?

What were the requirements onto your Fyear?
what uni are you at?

What were the requirements onto your Fyear?

Loughborough, CCC.

it's okay.. i wish i could've helped more :frown: Im sorry, but I know you're going to find a solution and if you set your mind to it then you will definitely be successful in getting in to your desired course
Best of luck xx
Reply 14
wait...

you say he 'got an offer' for EEE...[ahh E.E.E. lol, thought you meant A-level EEE, I'm tired]

...anyway, so he got an offer for EEE, meaning that he wasn't guaranteed a place on successful completion of the course?

Because this is a huge weighting factor for me if this is the case, one which I cannot really take a gamble on. If I go into a foundation course Sept 2012 and also have to enter the 2013 UCAS cycle and apply for QMUL, if I get rejected I will end up getting screwed over by SF as I had a year previous study and the foundation year.

Well yes, but he has to get 60% to get in, while QMUL offered 55% i think.

For students studying A levels, offers are normally in the range 240-300 points (depending on the subjects being studied to advanced level). Offers will be higher for students who have not studied any science subjects at an advanced level

Found it, this applies to me. In the tragic story that is my educational life I only came out with 300pts in non science A-levels. Knew it was something that stopped me getting in here

You might be able to get away with it though, so don't worry too much.
Reply 15
Well yes, but he has to get 60% to get in, while QMUL offered 55% i think.

You might be able to get away with it though, so don't worry too much.

can i ask if he had a-level maths?
Reply 16
can i ask if he had a-level maths?

The Sheffield off was 65% and still waiting for a reply about the maths thing.......but I recall he probably has

Quick Reply

Latest