Scly3- aqa - mass media

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
What did everyone put for the first q?
Reply 81
Original post by blue_
What did everyone put for the first q?

Americanisation - McDonalds, Coca Cola, Levi's all around the world etc
Global Village - McLuhan, our 'neighbours' are now across the other side of the world - available through networking sites such as twitter/facebook
Satellite TV - allowing countries access to other countries TV/News programmes. eg. American drama Desperate Housewives & MTV music channel via Sky
Reply 82
Original post by beth122
The socially constructed new question? I wrote about:
-Marxism - Miliband proletariat serving the bourgeoisie, how editors/journalists tend to be middle class therefore reflecting their own values and possibly ignoring the middle class - too poor to support capitalism
- Pluralism - how they believe media is diverse and caters for all tastes therefore disagreeing with marxism, free market economy - news which people believe and agree with will do well, and those which do not fail.
- Social constructs - such as how the diet of trivia and celebrity culture takes over news - i mentioned how at the weekend the murder of a 15 year old girl appeared to be overshadowed by a 'TOWIE' rumoured engagement. and how the daily mail feed the diet of trivia by concentrating more on celebrities.
- Practical Constraints REALLY briefly :frown: ran out of time so just jotted down a few points about how time/demand influence the construction of news and briefly about davies 'churnalism'

The last question i was running out of time and panicked a bit, i hope i did alright though - i only need a C for my Uni place

Oh no I didn't really mention theories like Marxism and Pluralism! Completely forgot! I mentioned about news values, gate keeping, allocative control, frameworks, norms and values and all the sociologists. I such an idiot :s-smilie:
Reply 83
What did people put f0r the first one? I was a bit unsure and guessed:
Cultural imperialism
Media imperialism
Transnational ownership
What do you think?
Reply 84
Original post by swarla9
What did people put f0r the first one? I was a bit unsure and guessed:
Cultural imperialism
Media imperialism
Transnational ownership
What do you think?

i know some others in my year did that :smile: i did americanisation, global village, satellite TV.

regarding the pluralism and marxism.. do you think i was right to include that then? i find interpreting the questions really difficult in the sociology exams! its such a broad spectrum of what the examiner may or may not accept
Reply 85
Original post by beth122
i know some others in my year did that :smile: i did americanisation, global village, satellite TV.

regarding the pluralism and marxism.. do you think i was right to include that then? i find interpreting the questions really difficult in the sociology exams! its such a broad spectrum of what the examiner may or may not accept

I definitely think Marxism is right to include, because the news will reflect the capitalist owners views. It never crossed my mind to include sociological theories. However in my text book it never really mentioned them when dealing with the construction of the news. I'm not really sure, however if you mentioned them and a few of the things I mentioned I think you'll be on the right track! I however do believe I will be marked down for not even mentioning them. :confused:
Reply 86
Original post by swarla9
I definitely think Marxism is right to include, because the news will reflect the capitalist owners views. It never crossed my mind to include sociological theories. However in my text book it never really mentioned them when dealing with the construction of the news. I'm not really sure, however if you mentioned them and a few of the things I mentioned I think you'll be on the right track! I however do believe I will be marked down for not even mentioning them. :confused:

I included Pluralism because it says they believe in the 'free market economy' - where news representing values that society agrees with will do well, whereas some which represent values that society disagrees with wont do so well and fail :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by beth122
I included Pluralism because it says they believe in the 'free market economy' - where news representing values that society agrees with will do well, whereas some which represent values that society disagrees with wont do so well and fail :smile:

Yeh I understand, I mentioned about how they needed to have news which accepted norms and values of society or no one would buy the media. So both theories are correct I never actually just wrote them down! :angry: Did you include thing like news values and gate keeping?
Reply 88
anyone do postmodernism one? if so what points did you incluide?
Reply 89
Original post by swarla9
Yeh I understand, I mentioned about how they needed to have news which accepted norms and values of society or no one would buy the media. So both theories are correct I never actually just wrote them down! :angry: Did you include thing like news values and gate keeping?

i included news values but forgot gatekeeping :frown:

just started to panic about the questions now.. did you have to disagree with the 2nd and 3rd question? i mainly just evaluated and discussed them. On the last question the only factor i put in disagreeing that it was socially constructed was that practical constraints such as time/money were also an issue.. oh goddd im so stupid!
Reply 90
Original post by beth122
i included news values but forgot gatekeeping :frown:

just started to panic about the questions now.. did you have to disagree with the 2nd and 3rd question? i mainly just evaluated and discussed them. On the last question the only factor i put in disagreeing that it was socially constructed was that practical constraints such as time/money were also an issue.. oh goddd im so stupid!

I didn't disagree with the 2nd one because to fair i dont think there are any. For the 3rd one i said media owners, editors and workers all put their own views within what they write/produce and although they try and be unbais they sometime still are therefor you could conclude that news isnt socially constructed and i include allocative control. However i did conclude in the end that in the end news was socially constructed.
Reply 91
Original post by swarla9
I didn't disagree with the 2nd one because to fair i dont think there are any. For the 3rd one i said media owners, editors and workers all put their own views within what they write/produce and although they try and be unbais they sometime still are therefor you could conclude that news isnt socially constructed and i include allocative control. However i did conclude in the end that in the end news was socially constructed.

well hopefully i wont get marked down too steeply for not being more thorough with a disagreement! i concluded briefly (as i ran out of time) that the news was socially constructed but other factors influenced the construction
Reply 92
I don't think you were supposed to give a statement of whether you disagreed or not rather you were supposed to "asses the views" and therefore basically discuss different viewpoints from Marxists neo pluralists etc ... For my conclusion I ran out of time so I briefly summed up that there are different factors and influences towards the way news is produced...
I got confused with the first question because it talked about how the role of the media has changed due to globalisation, rather than things like global village... I thought the global village was just a consequence of the new media. If you know what I mean? Cultural imperialism isn't really a role... it's more of a consequence :/
I put:
- The role of allowing the members of society to communicate with one another, through social networking sites
- The role of allowing relationships to develop between people who are geographically displaced via dating sites etc.
- The role of the media to entertain the audience whereas the media used to just inform and educate the audience rather than entertain...

Obviously I don't know If this is correct but that's just how i interpreted the question :/
Reply 94
Original post by needtorevise!
I got confused with the first question because it talked about how the role of the media has changed due to globalisation, rather than things like global village... I thought the global village was just a consequence of the new media. If you know what I mean? Cultural imperialism isn't really a role... it's more of a consequence :/
I put:
- The role of allowing the members of society to communicate with one another, through social networking sites
- The role of allowing relationships to develop between people who are geographically displaced via dating sites etc.
- The role of the media to entertain the audience whereas the media used to just inform and educate the audience rather than entertain...

Obviously I don't know If this is correct but that's just how i interpreted the question :/

I said about hybrid cultures eg Bollywood :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 95
Original post by IvanGray
anyone do postmodernism one? if so what points did you incluide?

i talked about the main point that postmodernists say that we construct our identities...we do that through
advertising
internet
TV-reality shows
i evaluated each point with marxists and added a few lines of pluralism

what about u?
Reply 96
For the first question I wrote about proto communities ... E-commerce revolution and the Internet allowing us to view information and entertainment on demand... Do you guys think that's correct?
Reply 97
First question -

advertising
satellite
internet

it can be any as long as you applied it explicitly.
Reply 98
Thanks ivangray I thought I may have got confused with the way the question was worded or something.
Good luck with unit 4 everyone =)
Reply 99
Just wondered how people critiqued the question about social contruction of the news? Mine was mostly that it was socially contructed, not much that it wasn't so quite worried, also what about for the other side of the 18 marker? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest