The Student Room Group

How important are GCSEs?

I am filling out my GCSE information on my UCAS now for entry in 2013, and I am just wondering how much universities focus on GCSEs.

For my course I need a B in Maths and a C in English at GCSE and I have a B in English and a B in Maths. Overall I have reasonably good GCSEs but I made some mistakes in what subjects I took and ended up coming out with an E in Art and Design and an E in French (I took two languages).

I am applying for accounting and was just wondering whether those two bad grades in Art and French will really hurt me when applying, even though they are not relevant to accounting at all?

Thanks!
Reply 1
They won't care all that much about those two E's.
They won't really care about them because they're not really relevant. However if you're thinking of applying to the like of Oxford/ Cambridge, then they may look more closely at your GCSE's because it is more competitive.
I think it depends, but my GCSE's aren't outstanding (A*,A*, A*, A, B, B, B, C, C, C, C), and i applied for History last year , which is quite competitive, and got 5 offers from Newcastle, Birmingham, Lancaster, Manchester and York. i think for some courses, the personal statement is more important. I was told by my tutor and some friends that mine was pretty good. I think as long as you can show you're dedication and enthusiasm, you're in with a shot :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by oliviagreenslade
I am filling out my GCSE information on my UCAS now for entry in 2013, and I am just wondering how much universities focus on GCSEs.

For my course I need a B in Maths and a C in English at GCSE and I have a B in English and a B in Maths. Overall I have reasonably good GCSEs but I made some mistakes in what subjects I took and ended up coming out with an E in Art and Design and an E in French (I took two languages).

I am applying for accounting and was just wondering whether those two bad grades in Art and French will really hurt me when applying, even though they are not relevant to accounting at all?

Thanks!

GCSE's shouldn't affect you much apart from your Maths and English grades.
I applied for Accounting and Finance and they didn't ask for any specific grades, although your English grade might be an issue for certain unis as they usually ask for Bs. The best advice I could give is for you to contact admissions and ask! Good luck.
Reply 5
you would not be get affected by the grades because they are not relevant
Ah thanks very much, that's really comforting!!
Reply 7
Original post by louiseyoung
I think it depends, but my GCSE's aren't outstanding (A*,A*, A*, A, B, B, B, C, C, C, C), and i applied for History last year , which is quite competitive, and got 5 offers from Newcastle, Birmingham, Lancaster, Manchester and York. i think for some courses, the personal statement is more important. I was told by my tutor and some friends that mine was pretty good. I think as long as you can show you're dedication and enthusiasm, you're in with a shot :smile:

My GCSEs aren't outstanding either Bx10, Cx2 and Dx2, got offers from Durham Manchester(x2), Birmingham, Heythrop (UoL) ranging from AAB to 280 points.
Ah that's great news because I wanted to apply to Manchester and Birmingham and was worried my GCSEs would really go against me!
Reply 9
Original post by oliviagreenslade
Ah that's great news because I wanted to apply to Manchester and Birmingham and was worried my GCSEs would really go against me!

Yeah, don't worry. My offer from Manchester was AAB and ABB (applied to two courses), then Birmingham was ABB.

You will be fine :smile:

For maths GCSE, I got a C in it, with English as a B, was predicted ABB for my A levels with when I applied, BCC(D) for AS (raised the B to an A and the C to a B, so at ABC for the three in AS I carried on to the second year).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Xæthon
Yeah, don't worry. My offer from Manchester was AAB and ABB (applied to two courses), then Birmingham was ABB.

You will be fine :smile:

For maths GCSE, I got a C in it, with English as a B, was predicted ABB for my A levels with when I applied, BCC(D) for AS (raised the B to an A and the C to a B, so at ABC for the three in AS I carried on to the second year).

I also came out with a C in Maths at GCSE but I need a B for the course I want to do so I have resat the GCSE exam and hopefully will come our with a B on results day! I am hopping to apply for an AAB course too and my AS levels were fairly similar to yours, so fingers crossed!
Put it this way, I got a 'U' in Maths. I put it on my UCAS application (and ok I'll be studying web design so IT is the biggest prority I guess), and received an unconditional offer. I still think it's my A levels at grade AAA which pushed it through though.

When I 'failed' at school, I went to college and turned it around. And what I achieved at the end of my A Levels was so pleasing compared to school.

Never lie on the application though, it may come back to bite you...
Reply 12
As long as you have decent GCSE grades they won't mind. I got AAAABBBBCC which aren't the best and received offers from Russell group unis
It shouldn't matter much as long as you have good AS's :smile:
Reply 14
Im the same! I mainly got C's a couple of B's and D's but I'm hoping the D's won't count against me as they have no relevance as to what I want to do at uni. I got a B in maths and a C in English so will these be the main ones they look at?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest