The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi this is by far the hardest test in the whole Salters course, I got 83/90, but I revised EVERYTHING for it.

The problem is there are a few 6 mark questions that come up on different years, I'll give you an example, I don't think DNA recombinant technology has come up for years, but it did come up in 03 and had 3 questions worth 7/8 marks in total. In chemistry by design and the AS exam chemistry of natural resources, you can kind of get away with not revisng alot because there are alot of free marks, this exam isn't like that, there are really no free marks. The RAW mark needed to get an A is indicative of this, 63/90 some years, thats shockingly low. I promise you if you learn everything on the syllabus sheets, you will do well.
Reply 2
Aaaah im worried nw :frown:
Reply 3
I did the module in January and got a D lol. I understood everything too and found the paper easy, but I got the paper back and found I made silly mistakes here and there. I got 50/90 (UMS and raw were the same). So hopefully this time round I'll do better.
Reply 4
can someone give me a list of all the essential reactions i need to know?

Possibly tell us the essential stuff i need to know that comes up every year?

Thanks!
Reply 5
well i am happy, i did this module in january got 72/90. So raw marks wise I was exactly on the boundary.

However warning this module is difficult!
Reply 6
Oh i remember this exam all too well from January. I did terribly. I think i got about 10 or 15 marks haha! I honestly did no revision though, this time round im working through storylines and then referring to chemical ideas when it is recommended and just writing everything out, i think i will do some practice papers before thursday too if i have time!!
what are the best revision techniques for this exam ?
Reply 7
I think the best technique is just past papers, past papers & more past papers. Get used to the structure of the exams. Do not take Storyline and Chemical Ideas too seriously!
Reply 8
I got this exam also, i'll need atleast a B. Didn't do it in Jan as my teacher had'nt done much towards it and i didn't feel i'd do too well.

I got a few days to go over it!
Do we need to learn the colour wheel or is this given in the exam?
Reply 10
You get marks for stating like you need the complementary colour, but its just the normal spectrum as a wheel basically! Easy to remember especially if you draw and colour it in.
Why on earth would you need to learn a colour wheel?
Well, tomorrow's the day, hopefully everyone will do much better than January! I've just finished revising the whole syllabus and i think i'm ready for the exam, although I hope nothing too difficult will come up. Good luck everyone!
Reply 13
I'm scared :frown:
Reply 14
kitty123
I'm scared :frown:

so am i, i also have maths D1 tomorrow so i have had to distribute all of 3 days revision on 2 subjects. I got 48/90 first time round so i don't exactly have a safe fall back position so i need at least 60 on the paper to feel ive done ok. I mean this paper to me is harder than the synoptic final paper so anyway i can scrape a B on it i will be happy to target 90ish out of 120 to get an A in chemistry.
Reply 15
lucasm
so am i, i also have maths D1 tomorrow so i have had to distribute all of 3 days revision on 2 subjects. I got 48/90 first time round so i don't exactly have a safe fall back position so i need at least 60 on the paper to feel ive done ok. I mean this paper to me is harder than the synoptic final paper so anyway i can scrape a B on it i will be happy to target 90ish out of 120 to get an A in chemistry.

O :frown: well hopefully you will do better this time! When did you take the exam then? If I do bad on it this one time I can't retake anyway! Is the final paper really synoptic? Like what have you seen doing past papers and stuff that involved as? I'm really worried about it because my teacher didn't even mention that it was synoptic, maybe he just assumed we already knew the AS stuff! They're not going to test us on in depth AS chem will they? I hope not or im screwed
Reply 16
i havn't really done many past papers for the final paper yet but judging on the mock i would say 60% was AS and chemistry of materials and 40% being the topics you learn for the final paper ie aspects of culture etc. On my mock i didnt revise in the slightest for it and there was still alot i knew because there were so many AS level questions. The thing that makes chemistry of materials the hardest paper for me rather than chemistry by design is you dont get as many gift marks to ease you into the exam, and maybe the fact that i got the lowest grade ive ever got in a chemistry exam on that paper lol. To revise for chem by design i would recommend going through unit 1 and unit 2 stuff again just to get it back in your head, because they are normally gift marks and the paper does get more difficult as you go on
Good luck everyone, got C4 exam in the morning so spending the rest of the morning revising for 2849 with a few friends.

Hopefully I (and we all) get a reasonable mark.
Yeah, gd luck everyone.
Reply 19
i have been doing past papers over and over again... hopefully would improve from january (65/90). Good luck guys

Latest