The Student Room Group

Starting a personal statement with a quote?

I'm starting my Economics Personal Statement and I was wondering if I could start it with a quote, such as Adam Smith. Would this bore the person reading or do you think its a good idea. I think the usual is just boring.

Scroll to see replies

Noononononononononooooooooooooooooono

don't.
Reply 2
probably been done a million or more times already
You have so few characters to say anything, why do you want someone else's words to take up some of them?
What's with the sudden rush of PS threads? :s-smilie: Erm I wouldn't, got told off by a friend when I did it :p:
Start with an insult, that would shock and suprise them.
Reply 6
Okay, you guys have pursuaded me not to, so i guess ill stick to the standard why im interested in the course, where this passion came from, and all that.
Reply 7
if u have to, make it concise. dont quote the whole book

bt try another angle. just be straight to the point as to how ur interest in Economics came about.
Reply 8
Redpanda91
What's with the sudden rush of PS threads?

It's that time of the year. :p:
Reply 9
rye225
Okay, you guys have pursuaded me not to, so i guess ill stick to the standard why im interested in the course, where this passion came from, and all that.

Again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Passion is one of the words never to use.
I'm pretty sure I started mine with a quote. But I managed to make sure lots of my PS related to the quote. Got into all 6 choices but looking back, I think it's the most cheesyass idea ever and a waste of characters. :smile:
Draconis
It's that time of the year. :p:

Yep I guess so, but 4 in the last 15 minutes?? Dear me. Must be to do with it being the last week before school starts again (:frown:)
I almost did, but then rewrote it out - I wouldn't say it is an advisable thing to do.
Prudy
Again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Passion is one of the words never to use.

Along with: 'I have ALWAYS loved/wanted to study...'

NO! It's a lie! No one wanted to read psychology at uni when they were three weeks old!

:biggrin:
Just DON'T

Your PS is about YOU talking about why YOU should be made an offer. NOT about what some other person said. Use your own words, your own ideas.
rye225
I'm starting my Economics Personal Statement and I was wondering if I could start it with a quote, such as Adam Smith. Would this bore the person reading or do you think its a good idea. I think the usual is just boring.

This might be a brilliant idea if Adam Smith ever said anything about your suitability to study economics. However, in general, the admissions tutors are interested in what you have to say, not whether you can copy down what someone else has had to say.
Reply 17
Redpanda91
Yep I guess so, but 4 in the last 15 minutes?? Dear me. Must be to do with it being the last week before school starts again (:frown:)

I have two weeks left. It's hell. :mad:
You can if you want, but maybe Adam Smith will have been done too many times. I started with a quote, got into warwick for history, not oxford, though I don't think it was the quote's fault.

'Understanding the past and its relation to the present is one of collective humanity's most important quests'. I have always read widely; novels such as John Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath' and Ralph Ellison's 'The Invisible Man' piqued my interest into the study of the past, and more recently I have found that the academic discipline of History stimulates me to respond and intrigues me the most. I believe that an understanding of past events, and the ideas which have influenced and helped shape the world, is crucial to expanding our awareness of ourselves, both as individuals and in relation to our wider society.'

That's how I did it anyway. Just realised I didn't actually attribute it, oops
No, because the your PS is about you only, not somebody else! Why do you want to put somebody elses words in your Personal Statement? It's a waste of space and it is not original.

If you really want to put in a quote, don't! But say, "the works of [insert name here] gave me an interest in economics" or something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest